PDA

View Full Version : School bus for quad carrier.

chrisc
02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
My friends and I were thiniking about taking a school bus and taking all but 10-12 seats and make a ramp and put all our quads in the back . just wondering if anyone else have ever done this? and how did it work.

redrider69
02-06-2004, 11:53 AM
never done it but that sounds awsome if u do it i wanna see some pics

TheX1992
02-06-2004, 12:06 PM
my friend was doing this. only he took out i think all seats but 3 rows. he made it into a flatbed. he was also putting bunk beds and a sink in it so he can title it as a camper (cheap insurance). then ramps for the back to load up the quads. he never finished it though. it was an older bus so alot of things were wrong with it mechanically.

2001400ex
02-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Yes, I've seen it on ebay. A guy took out every seat except for the drivers seat and put 4 snowmobiles in there. They fit with room, he drove them up through the back.

cheetah
02-06-2004, 02:27 PM
It would definately work. My cousin and I were thinking the same thing.

chrisc
02-06-2004, 05:33 PM
we were also thinking about standing the quads up on the rear grab bar and rigging a strap or chain to hold them up. I have talked to several and most of them say the diesel ones get 12 miles per gal. i wonder how many we can put in there?

2001400ex
02-06-2004, 05:37 PM
My guess would be 6-8 quads, I don't know though. If you just put the quads in gear they shouldn't go anywhere while you're driving them. Or just get tiedowns and strap them down from one side of the bus to the other.

chrisc
02-06-2004, 06:09 PM
it would have to be one of the big ones , not one of the short ones .!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZSK
02-06-2004, 07:43 PM
All the busses I've ever ridden on were short ones:confused:
You'll have to look into maybe a different licensing to drive the bus. Don't know if you will have to or not.

chucked
02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
i just think it would be easier to have a trailor. and it you do get a bus for a reasonably price its probably gonna have a million miles on it and craps just gonna break left and right.

Bubba
02-06-2004, 08:06 PM
if u get a diesel bus, it should last for a long time. I know buses go pretty cheap at auctions around here. i know a dude that got one for a couple hundred bucks. dont u need a CDL to drive a bus though?

killed300ex
02-06-2004, 08:10 PM
there is a bus around here that someone left the front 3 rows of seats then cut the rest off and then made a wall after the 3 rows of seates then tok the ramp off a flat bed tow truck hydrolics to power it and all and attatched that so he has a bus tow truck that has a tilt bed. Its pretty sick. Kinda in rough shape cause its still getin put together but he plans on painting it ect and makeing it pretty sweet.
killed

Toadz400
02-06-2004, 08:19 PM
I've always dreamed of doing that. But you would need to get a new license for it, I know that for sure. I believe it'd be a B or C license?

chrisc
02-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I think if you titled it as a camper you wouldn't need a special license . i have a 28 foot camper and don't need a diffrent one. there are several hog farmers around here use them to haul pigs around. we have about 12-15 people who ride so we have to take 3 sets of trucks and trialers. and we all get 10 mil. to the gal. so if we buy a diesel and get the same as one truck, we can all ride in the same bus and have a great time. and if they all the quads won't fit standing up on end we can always build a hith and pull a car hauler trailer with the rest. we also talked about putting hooks up inside and hanging hammics all around . i have seen lower 90's go on ebay with diesels for around 1500-2000 with around 125,000 miles , just broke in for a diesel!!!!!

TRAIL
02-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I live in iowa and every april or so a bunch of guys get together (bike and quad guys) an dhead to the dunes in OK. they use a old school bus. all the bikes go inside...which is about..10 or so and the quads go on top of the bus....about 8 of them....the have a wind thing from a semi ontop of the bus to deflect wind from the quads. the use beefed up extension ladders with wood on them to get the quads on the bus. it def. is different, but they sleep on the buss and everythign once they get to the dunes, with all the bikes and quads unloaded and chained together.

Martin Blair
02-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by TRAIL
I live in iowa and every april or so a bunch of guys get together (bike and quad guys) an dhead to the dunes in OK. they use a old school bus. all the bikes go inside...which is about..10 or so and the quads go on top of the bus....about 8 of them....the have a wind thing from a semi ontop of the bus to deflect wind from the quads. the use beefed up extension ladders with wood on them to get the quads on the bus. it def. is different, but they sleep on the buss and everythign once they get to the dunes, with all the bikes and quads unloaded and chained together.

i saw those crazy people at ls last year, man i wouldnt want to drive that thing

Mr.Offroad
02-06-2004, 10:37 PM
I've got a buddy that did it. Just be sure you don't get a rear-engine bus, or you'll have to load through the side door. Licensing is a breeze. You just take it to D.M.V. and have it re-inspected as a private r.v.. The only time you need a c.d.l. to drive it, is if you are keeping it a commercial vehicle. One problem is that most school buses are designed to have a top speed of about 60 m.p.h., so if you're gonna travel any distance, it gets kinda old listening to the engine sing, and having bicycles pass you! Other than that, they rock.

Meek
02-07-2004, 02:32 AM
A guy I know used a short bus for his jet ski, it was pretty cool.

chrisc
02-07-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by TRAIL
I live in iowa and every april or so a bunch of guys get together (bike and quad guys) an dhead to the dunes in OK. they use a old school bus. all the bikes go inside...which is about..10 or so and the quads go on top of the bus....about 8 of them....the have a wind thing from a semi ontop of the bus to deflect wind from the quads. the use beefed up extension ladders with wood on them to get the quads on the bus. it def. is different, but they sleep on the buss and everythign once they get to the dunes, with all the bikes and quads unloaded and chained together. We also talked about putting them on top, but were unsure how to get them up there safely , thanks

TRAIL
02-07-2004, 07:27 AM
Any time. Them same guys also entertained the crowd at the TT opener last year here ( fort dodge,ia) during intermission.