PDA

View Full Version : gearing change

yamblaster200
02-06-2004, 12:48 AM
I'm looking for the right gearing to make 3rd pull longer so i don't have to shift as often. I'm thinking of 36 rear tooth sprocket. Does anyone use this set up. If so let me know if it helps get more speed out of lower gears for less shifing, I'm not looking for higher top speed, just more speed between shifts.

JOEX
02-06-2004, 12:56 AM
What are you riding?

Joe

yamblaster200
02-06-2004, 10:50 AM
a 400ex

airheadedduner
02-06-2004, 02:07 PM
I would go 37. Mainly because I belive, I am not positive though, that the smallest steel sproket you can get is 37. You would have to run aluminum with a 36. Look around and do a little checking up on that first unless you wanna run aluminum. Justa little warning.

cals400ex
02-06-2004, 03:35 PM
i have been running an aluminum for several months without any problem. i know they are weaker and quite a bit lighter. however, i dont ride through some of the nasty terrain that others do so this may be why i haven't had a problem. i actually can't even tell it is wearing, so it it holding up just fine for me. by the way, it is a renthal sprocket.

this may be out of the question for you but if your not worried about top speed, you could lower the gearing some. this will make you shift a little quicker into each gear but you may not have to shift as often because it will have more usable power at low rpms in higher gears. now, you will loose top speed. i really didn't notice me staying in gear much longer when i run 15/36 or 16/38 gearing. it just gave me a little more up top. i am not sure what your looking for but i am sure you could simply put a cam and piston in your bike to find the power curve your looking for. a cam/piston really helped my bike out. good luck