PDA

View Full Version : air compressors?

lil400exman
02-05-2004, 07:48 PM
i am looking at buying one. my friend that had one moved away and i need to break down and buy my own. i really havent studied specs on them but what do you all like? i want electric at least 25 gallon doesnt need to have wheels and want to keep the price under 400 smacks.............anyone got any tips or suggestions?:devil:

lil400exman
02-05-2004, 07:53 PM
by the way i would run a single tool on this a time for light-medium use not 4-5 tools at a time. i will be running a impact wrench recip saw cutting wheel etc............

batgeek
02-05-2004, 07:54 PM
buy a Howard Dean....holds wind well and blows alot of air.

MOFO
02-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
buy a Howard Dean....holds wind well and blows alot of air.

http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/rollinonfloor.gif

jtej
02-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Look into Cambell Hausfield....good company to deal with and good quality stuff.

atvrider12764
02-05-2004, 08:08 PM
bj holesale club sells them at a good price

sickmojave
02-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by jtej
Look into Cambell Hausfield....good company to deal with and good quality stuff.

Doesn't walmart sell them :confused: I have had really bad luck with them.:(

K_Fulk
02-05-2004, 09:00 PM
I bought a sears professional series this summer. I think it has a 5 or 6 hp (not sure on the hp) dual stage motor and a 30 gallon tank. Works great running one tool at a time think it cost around 380. Has wheels but i havent put them on yet.

lil400exman
02-05-2004, 09:17 PM
really? wow at lowes they had a 80 gallon 7 horse campell hausfeild its a good machine for 400 i think what do u think?

K_Fulk
02-05-2004, 09:20 PM
The bigger tank would be nice but i would rather have a 6hp dual stage motor then a 7 hp single stage.

On some of the 7hp compressors like that you need 220 electric going out to it too.

JOEX
02-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by jtej
I have one that I bought about 18 years ago, it's small, 2hp 20 gallon tank. I don't use it a whole lot but it works every time with zero problems. It doesn't handle the real high volume stuff due to its size but still works great.

Joe

Woodsrider
02-06-2004, 07:58 AM
Just don't buy an oil-less pump, if you can aviod it. I have two compressors, one here at the house and one at the shop. My home compressor is an oil-less 40 gallon 4hp and it makes twice as much noise as my Ingersoll-Rand at the shop. The oil-less style pumps dont recover as fast or last as long.

wilkin250r
02-06-2004, 09:21 AM
If you really are only planning to run one tool at a time, there is no real reason you need to spend over $250 unless you are planning on running a sandblaster.

I think I have a 4HP, 20 gallon and it will keep my little sandblaster running at 80psi continuously. The only time you would need more is if you are running something continuously, like a sandblaster or sander. If you're just running an impact wrench or nail gun, you can get away with something much smaller.

lil400exman
02-06-2004, 10:24 AM
alright. i was talking to my uncle last night who is a carpenter and he said he can get me a dual stage 5 hp motor for free. all i need to do is supply everyhting else. i was thinking of getting 2 steel pipes about 8 inches around and putting taps in and run the across my garage..........what do you all think about that?:devil: btw the pump has a 145 max PSI

TheWolf
02-06-2004, 10:40 AM
first, go to sears and pick up a tool catalog(probably the easiest to start) or find some other good tool catalog.

Look up the tools that you plan on using and find the one that take the most CFM's to run it. ******most important decision!!

Look for compressor that has the highest cfm's at the highest psi for yur application. The oil-free'maintainance free' one's are the quietest, but I don't think as reliable as the regular ones. Doesn't take much to check the oil.

Look for cast iron cylinders over aluminum one. Cast iron will last forever.

You are most likely going to get 20-30 gal (and most likely on wheels)for that price range. Which is good if only using occasionally and not trying to run it for long periods of time.

If you can, get 2 stage compressor, more expensive but better.

Once again , it all depends on what you want to do with it. What kinds of tools do you want to run? If just to air tires, $100 will do ya.

K_Fulk
02-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
alright. i was talking to my uncle last night who is a carpenter and he said he can get me a dual stage 5 hp motor for free. all i need to do is supply everyhting else. i was thinking of getting 2 steel pipes about 8 inches around and putting taps in and run the across my garage..........what do you all think about that?:devil: btw the pump has a 145 max PSI

That would work but I would try to find a good size tank. And then you could just run a 1/2 pipe everywhere you need it.

lil400exman
02-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by TheWolf
first, go to sears and pick up a tool catalog(probably the easiest to start) or find some other good tool catalog.

Look up the tools that you plan on using and find the one that take the most CFM's to run it. ******most important decision!!

Look for compressor that has the highest cfm's at the highest psi for yur application. The oil-free'maintainance free' one's are the quietest, but I don't think as reliable as the regular ones. Doesn't take much to check the oil.

Look for cast iron cylinders over aluminum one. Cast iron will last forever.

You are most likely going to get 20-30 gal (and most likely on wheels)for that price range. Which is good if only using occasionally and not trying to run it for long periods of time.

If you can, get 2 stage compressor, more expensive but better.

Once again , it all depends on what you want to do with it. What kinds of tools do you want to run? If just to air tires, $100 will do ya.
i am looking to run impact wrenches air wrenchs air saws grinding wheel etc.............:macho

chrisc
02-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Just don't buy an oil-less pump, if you can aviod it. I have two compressors, one here at the house and one at the shop. My home compressor is an oil-less 40 gallon 4hp and it makes twice as much noise as my Ingersoll-Rand at the shop. The oil-less style pumps dont recover as fast or last as long. i second the no OIL_LESS pump they are noisy and won't last very long!!!!!

02-06-2004, 04:08 PM
craftsman, its honda red