PDA

View Full Version : diesel question

bansheerider_13
02-05-2004, 03:57 PM
ok guy s we own a 2000 ford f-250 diesel and this thing will not start when it is cold out i plug it in every night and it fires right up in the morings but when i go to school everyday and it sits there all day it will not start i have to use starting fluid to get it to start almost every day and i know this isnt good for it how ever we also own a 94 f-250 diesel and it starts right up no matter how cold it is so i was wondering if anyone else had this problem

brian-250
02-05-2004, 04:00 PM
i got a buddy that plugs his in before his last class,dont know how he gets a way with it:rolleyes: :confused:

Guy400
02-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Are the glow plugs going bad? I know on my old S-10 with an Isuzu diesel I had a little light on the dash board. I had to turn the key on and let the glow plugs heat for about 5 seconds. When the light went out I would fire it up.

bansheerider_13
02-05-2004, 04:05 PM
no guy i dont think it the glowplugs but yea they still put the wait to start lights in there its on for about 30 sec or so and goes off try to start it and it will turn over for ever but will not fire but is there a way to check the glowplugs

Guy400
02-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by bansheerider_13
no guy i dont think it the glowplugs but yea they still put the wait to start lights in there its on for about 30 sec or so and goes off try to start it and it will turn over for ever but will not fire but is there a way to check the glowplugs Turn the key on and stick your tongue on one :eek: :D

bansheerider_13
02-05-2004, 04:08 PM
yea ill get right on that one :blah:

jb500ex
02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
make sure you are getting winterized gas, very important

bansheerider_13
02-05-2004, 04:16 PM
what do you mean by winterized fuel

i always keep it above half a tank in winter to stop it from geling up so i dont think that has anything to do with it plus when u plug it in or use starting fluid that wouldnt help if it was frozen up if thats what you mean by winterized fuel

bansheerider_13
02-05-2004, 04:17 PM
plus around here there only one gas station that sell diesel next closest is about 35 min away

i know i live out in the middle of no where

GrInDeR400ex
02-05-2004, 04:22 PM
um......my answer buy a gas engine

Honeycut
02-05-2004, 04:26 PM
:)It is probably your Glow Plugs,or your relay.I would not use starting fluid if at all possible. If you have not replaced them than I would replace both. It is not expensive.

Giz400ex
02-05-2004, 04:33 PM
It sounds like a glow plug prob! If you want, change your fuel filter! To me though, it sounds like a plug prob. Prepare to pay because those suckers are not cheap. Also, if you don't already, I would suggest a fuel additive. I haven't had a prob yet with the fuel. Also, maybe its the fuel pump? There are alot of things to look at! Let us know what you find out:D

ml450r
02-05-2004, 05:07 PM
I have 2001 ford F-350 diesel, when it gets cold I have to turn the key forward and wait until the glow plug light goes off, then do it a second time before cranking it. Sometimes even three times.
I also have a 2004 f-250 6.0L diesel, it does the same thing when it is real cold.

TheWolf
02-05-2004, 05:10 PM
yes, check /replace glow plugs and check fuel folter, you may have gotten some bad fuel and need to change the fuel filter. I think all PA fuel stations and almost anywhere sell winterized fuel for the winter. With all the big rigs traveling all over I think they all just use winterized fuel. I may be wrong in places like FL, and such but most do, If in doubt just ask.

Since you have a ford you can check out www.thedieselstop.com and try and search for an answer of sign up and ask, but be prepared for lots of childish crap they do and say over there..Lots of times it sounds just like a buch of little kiddies argueing.

kickin440
02-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ml450r
I have 2001 ford F-350 diesel, when it gets cold I have to turn the key forward and wait until the glow plug light goes off, then do it a second time before cranking it. Sometimes even three times.
I also have a 2004 f-250 6.0L diesel, it does the same thing when it is real cold.

I'm with him ^^^^ Duramax's are the same way My 99 Dodge was that way too. If you cycle the glow plugs a few times it should fire. As for the ether I think I would talk to your Ag teacer or something about plugging it in at the shop They usually will understand something like that. Because if you use ether very much you'll trash everything.

400exr
02-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Yeah, it's defenetly your glow plugs. If it had somthing to do with the fuel you would notice it especially while driving it, plus if it was geled you wouldn't get it started even if you pluged it in. Your light and glow plug sensor might be off too, if you light goes off but your plugs haven't completly warmed your combustion chamber and you try to start it then it will have a hard time starting. Try this, while you have the warmup light on listen carefully for a click, if your light goes off and it doesn't click then theres your problem, the click is from when the glow plugs turn off. I know the click test works on 1987 - 1994 Ford Deisels but I don't know about yours. We even have to do this to our 1989 ford F350 to start it cause the warmup light doesn't work and no ones gotten around to fixing it yet lol;) Anyway, hope this helps!

Mr.Offroad
02-05-2004, 07:00 PM
I'll guarantee it's the glow plugs, or relay. VERY common on glow-plug engines to start this way when one (or more) go bad. To test them, pull the caps off the top of all of them. Take a continuity tester and hook the alligator clip to your positive battery post. Then touch the tops of each glow plug. If there is no continuity, that plug is bad. I recommend buying the Ford glow plug from them. They cost more, but are FAR superior to anything I've found at the auto-parts places.

CT300
02-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Go here
http://www.thedieselstop.com/

cdalejef
02-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Run Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tanks about very 3rd or 4th fill up. This does wonders for your injectors and keeps fuel from jelling. It also will improve your fuel mileage.

jgfarmsracer
02-05-2004, 07:24 PM
you have a relay problem or a fuse blown, if the glow plugs are workin you should never have a problem

and on a pickup i been told never to use starting fluid but i have and never blew one up yet

and i have 5 pickups and several other diesel motors

nofear911
02-05-2004, 07:41 PM
You can use starting fluid if you glow plugs aren't working or if you don't use them. But if your glow plugs are working properly the either will combust when it contacts the hot plugs. If they're hot enough it will cause an explosion and blow back through the intake igniting the either in the intake and the filter.
Just a warning. I rebuild glow plug style engines all the time because of people using either on them.

Bad Habit
02-05-2004, 07:57 PM
My 97 Power Stroke would do this same thing. Wouldn't start under 40 deg. It would crank and crank and blow white smoke, but not fire. Plug it in for 10 minutes and it would fire right up. Turned out it was the RELAY. It was under warranty, but I believe the relay is under $50. I have heard that it is a very common part to go out on the Power Strokes. I haven't had any problems yet with my 2000 and it has 90k on it.

300exQuadracer
02-05-2004, 08:42 PM
glow plugs might not be cycleing right

TheWolf
02-05-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm with him ^^^^ Duramax's are the same way My 99 Dodge was that way too. If you cycle the glow plugs a few times it should fire. As for the ether I think I would talk to your Ag teacer or something about plugging it in at the shop They usually will understand something like that. Because if you use ether very much you'll trash everything.

Not sure on the d-max but dodge cummins do not have glow plugs.......what you are cycling on a cummins is the grid heater not a glow plug

sduncan
02-05-2004, 09:35 PM
OK, listen up. Go to napa and buy part #GPR-109. Its about $24. Now when you put it on you will have to turn it one quarter turn to make it fit the mounts. The hookups are the same as the $100 models that they will try to sell you, just the mounts are a little different. No biggie. Does the same thing as the original you just took off. If problem persists and you have less than 100k on the truck, then the glow plugs are covered under the 100k mile warranty that Navistar provides with every PSD. It'll cost you a $100 dollar deductible to have the glow plugs replaced under this warranty. These motors should have no problem firing up at temps as low as -10* w/o plugging in the block heater. If you have to cycle the glow plugs a couple of times then so what. Once the motor has started they will continue to cycle for up to two minutes as needed. Get it fixed and lay off the starting fluid. Diesels hate that stuff and it can and will eventually do nasty things to the rods and bearings. A new fuel filter probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Also, Dahl makes a heated fuel filter/water seperator that is supposed to help in extremely cold weather. If you'll go to www.thedieselstop.com and hit the forums you'll learn more about your truck than any book will teach you. The above info was learned from this site along with much more.

FASTeR
02-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Everyone saying do not use starting fluid have the right idea, powerstroke in particular can actually have a starting fluid explosion and burn up your intake boots, I have seen it done. Replace the relay, if the problem persists, it is likely the glow plugs themselves, sometimes when the glow plugs are bad on cold mornings the truck will idle rough as it heats up it will usually go away. I personally like Stanadyne performance formula, and Racor. Its good to run that in any diesel as it adds needed lubricity and cetane to the fuel. The glow plugs on powerstrokes generally cycle for 2 minutes, if your affraid its not warm enough you can wait 30 seconds after turning the ignition off, then turn it back off, then back on, then try to crank once the light goes out again. Make note of any smoke that comes out of the pipe, a white smoke generally indicates fueling but no heat, where as black is just overfueling but the combustion temperatures are up.If none of this works, take it too a good shop that can run injector tests among other things. Neglected oil , and fuel filter changes are the powerstrokes biggest enemy.

250rpilot
02-05-2004, 10:21 PM
i agree, it is definately a glow problem, most likely either the relay is bad, or you have one or more plugs out, and that throws the whole system off. the plugs are under the valve cover, and can be checked with a common test light. also, i have seen the valve cover gaskets melt where the plug goes through it, causing a connection problem. if this is the case, you will need new valve cover gaskets, and you may as well check the plugs while you are under there. there are 2 plugs on either valve cover gasket, with four pins each. the plugs are a flat four configuration ( * * * *) thats what they look like. the OUTER two pins on each plug are the connectors for the glow plugs. connect your test light to the POSITIVE battery terminal, and touch the light to each connection for the glow plugs (outer two pins on each connector) if the light lights bright, your plug is good! if the light lights dim, or not at all, there is your problem. remember, even if ONE plug is bad, it throws the whole system off!!!!!

also-cycling the glow plugs off and on WILL burn out the plugs eventually, if you dont allow enough time for them too cool. it can overheat the plugs and burn out the internals of the plug.

like others have said also, PUT YOUR STARTER FLUID AWAY!!! i too have replaced many an airbox from people spraying ether into the intake, and it igniting when it hits a hot plug!! its not pretty!! if you are lucky it will only take out the airbox!

the best advice i heard on here was, if it has less than 100,000 miles on it, take it to the dealer! it will be covered for the 100
dollar deductible!

PS- if you do decide to remove a plug, you will need a 3/8 deep socket, and some patience. the plugs are about 7 inches long, and WILL be covered in carbon. if they just turn and do not come out, do not force them, if you break it off inside the head, you are gonna be shelling out some dough to pull the head to get the piece out!! do not use an auto sotre brand plug if you change them, stick with the ford/motorcraft (bosch) plugs, they will last the longest. glow plugs are a part of normal maintenence on a light duty deisel......

bansheerider_13
02-06-2004, 08:21 AM
hey thanks alot guys i tested the relay like u said listen for the click thats alright so i guess im gonna have to do the glowplug test but once again thanks alot

250rpilot
02-06-2004, 10:01 AM
another simple test, turn on your igniton, when the light goes out, start the truck like normal. watch your volt gauge. on the powerstrokes, the gauge should not move up and down fast like the older ones. if the gauge keeps going up and down, up and down, at a pretty good speed(glow plugs cycling on and off) for about 5 seconds after the truck starts, there is a problem.

looking at the relay, pull the little rubber cover off of the one terminal so both are exposed. look at the posts. if the one is a blue color, that means your relay is probably toast, because it was overheated (very common). if both posts look their normal brass color, your relay may be ok. the realy will still click, but inside the relay there is a set of points. just like on your older cars ignition. if those points get burned, they will not make contact good enough to pass the required amount of current to get the plugs hot. everything may look ok and sound ok, but if those points are burned, you may never know it, and it will drive you nuts. 90% of the plug problems on any powerstroke i ever worked on, were relay related. i used to work in a construction garage, and we had about 300 f250 and f350 pickups, from 89 and up. we were trained by ford to work on these trucks. this aint your grandpappy's diesel tractor, thats for sure!!

bansheerider_13
02-06-2004, 11:58 AM
thanks guys ill probally check the gpr first since its the easiest then work from there to check glowplugs so thanks guys

bansheerider_13
02-06-2004, 12:48 PM
does anyone know which battery does the glowplugs run off of or both cuz im going to check the batterys to

CHAR250R
02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
ok guy s we own a 2000 ford f-250 diesel and this thing will not start when it is cold out i plug it in every night and it fires right up in the morings but when i go to school everyday and it sits there all day it will not start i have to use starting fluid to get it to start almost every day and i know this isnt good for it how ever we also own a 94 f-250 diesel and it starts right up no matter how cold it is so i was wondering if anyone else had this problem

The worst thing you can do to start that diesel is to use starter fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big no no. My power stroke starts fine, no matter how cold it gets. Sometimes I forget to plug it in, and it starts up just fine.

Giz400ex
02-06-2004, 01:50 PM
does anyone know which battery does the glowplugs run off of or both cuz im going to check the batterys to Please post the outcome! I'm anxious to here the prob:D

Doibugu2
02-06-2004, 02:03 PM
the word "glow" was used over 40 times in this thread. They better be whats wrong with the truck.:o

Chanman420q
02-06-2004, 07:15 PM
hi, i dont know anything about deisals and was just passing in to read the thread, j/w what you guys mean by plugging it in?

Giz400ex
02-06-2004, 08:03 PM
With most diesels you can plug it in to a cord ect.. to keep it warm. Makes starting in the cold alot easier!

sam the brave
02-07-2004, 10:02 PM
diesel fuel turns to jelley when its cold out get the diesel fuel treated and it should work fine

bansheerider_13
02-09-2004, 08:03 PM
well i checked out all the relays didnt see anything wrong with them nothing burnt or blue so it must be down to the glowplugs and by the looks of it. its going to be quite the job this is when im wishing i had a garage considering there 2 feet of snow and below freezing but its probally a weekend job so ill get back to you guys this weekend hopefully