PDA

View Full Version : 250EX Reversed Front Rims Problem!

Fast250EX
02-05-2004, 12:07 PM
I decided to see what mine would be like with reversed front rims and it looks great, feels like a 400EX on the seat. I didn't test it ot because our backyard is flooded with a big slushfest and I just cleaned it up.

My problem is that my black thing that you use to put air into the tire(can't think of its name, lol) hits the plastic thing and the caliper. It is my understanding that this can be done without any front wheel spacers so maybe I'm just doing something wrong. I would appreciate a reply quickly because I don't like to look at my 250EX wihtout any front wheels.

Thanks.

44oEX
02-05-2004, 12:12 PM
you need to cut your valves stem ( the black tingy ) or drill a hole on the other side and put a stem in that one and just flip your originale stem up side down.

Fast250EX
02-05-2004, 12:19 PM
If I cut my valve stem, would I not be able to air it back up, I guess I don't fully understand.:confused:

Pappy
02-05-2004, 12:22 PM
how about this.....

re install the rims the way they are supposed to be and just ride the thing:eek2:

Fast250EX
02-05-2004, 12:25 PM
I know but it's so much wider and actually lines up better with my rear wheels than the way it was.

Runnin Dumb
02-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Fast250EX
If I cut my valve stem, would I not be able to air it back up, I guess I don't fully understand.:confused:

What 440ex was trying to say is----- you will have two valve stems. One will be on the inside and one out. You will have to drill a hole on the inside of your rim. If you screw up, you might be out a set of wheels. Or go to a tire dealer and see if they have shorter stems. Good luck and keep the rubber side down;)

Fast250EX
02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
OK, thanks. I would really rather not screw up my rims for this. Do you know if mich shorter valve stems even exist? If it was just half the size it would be alright.

Also, you don't have to take the tire off to get a valve stem in/out do you?

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

redrunner
02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Listen to what Pappy said! it may look cool and seem better but you are stressing out the parts on your front end.
It's true, really!;)

Fast250EX
02-05-2004, 02:13 PM
That may be but I want to try it nonetheless to see if it is worth keeping it that way.

brandonpeake
02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
you said you would rather not mess up your front wheels, but keeping them switched like that is stressing parts more expensive than wheels, there is a right and wrong way to widen your quad and you are not doing it the right way

Fast250EX
02-05-2004, 02:49 PM
I understand the risks with this but this idea is simply exploratory, not permanent. Besides, the right way I am assuming is extended a-arms and they are not an option for the little EX. Find me a set of good ones and I'll be more than happy to give this idea up but until then, I am going to continue.

I'm going to go to Wal-Mart to check on the valve stems. I am not going to do any serious modding for this because this is very likely to be temporary thing so if I can't find anythign, I won't even bother.

Berry
02-05-2004, 03:20 PM
just get spacers

mustang93
02-05-2004, 04:24 PM
somtimes I wonder?:confused: :confused: :confused: reading this may of just killed more braincells than a whole day of second hand smoke.

Fast250EX
02-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Well, I looked in Wal-Mart and couldn't find what I needed so I'll just forget it. I was just looking for a little advantage this year for the fair race. Had I known people would have reacted to this thread with such hostility I wouldn't have bothered. Perhaps I should switch to a 4x4, lol.:D

PhilMoore
02-05-2004, 09:02 PM
I flipped my wifes. She likes it better, and the quad never high-sides now.

The only downside is the wheels are out farther from center, so when you hit bumps, or say, a stump on the side of the trail, the wheel catches and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wants to jerk the bars out of your hands. It has not been a problem for her, but if she ever complains about it, I will try a steering stabilizer.

Hopefully, someday somebody will make extended arms for the 250EX...

Pull your valvestem out. Find a drill bit that fits in the hole. Then, reinsert the valvestem in the hole upside down.

Then, drill a 1/8 inch pilot hole in the oposite side of the rim diagonally centered from the original hole. You want to make it opposite for balancing purposes (flipping the rims is a hackjob anyway, so this minor detail is probably not that important) After you pilot hole is drilled, drill out the hole to finished size. Insert a new valve stem normally. You will most likely have to remove the tire from the rim and push the stem in from the inside. You can try to work it in from the outside if you want (good luck).

I am not encouraging you to do this. I just want you to know it is possible and we have not had a single problem. Years ago, I put a lot of miles on my Blaster with the rims flipped, and never had a single problem. So, if you bend your a-arm, tweak your steering stem, U your tie rod, pretzel your handlebars, or shear your spindle on that 60 footer, don't come and sue me (please).

Flippy (http://www.atvpix.com/fliprim.html)

44oEX
02-06-2004, 05:44 AM
wath I mean by cut the valve stem is just take a couple treads off and then put somme washers on the back of the rim to back it up a little more and if should work.

logan
02-17-2004, 06:47 PM
do what i did and take them off and get some washers and put 2 or 3 washers on each lug bolts and just make it were they dont hit and more (the stems dont hit the plastic caliper plastic thing)

mustang93
02-17-2004, 07:02 PM
:huh sounds like a bent rim just waiting to happen. not much surface area connecting the rim to the hub, if I were going to do that (IF) I would just buy of-set rims or at the least wheel spacers.

cdalejef
02-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Just curious, how are you centering your wheels since the steel lug inserts that centers the wheel are now on the inside?

logan
02-17-2004, 08:07 PM
it works

cdalejef
02-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by logan
it works How?

stonerider250x
02-17-2004, 08:59 PM
i dont think flipping your rims is worth the trouble or time because what little bit u gain in stability and looks isnt wotrth the horrible bump steer tha comes with it.....also the price of replacing parts by braking/bending somthing by puttin to much stress on them.

quad_racer_19
02-17-2004, 09:48 PM
i would take the black thing off

i have been meaning to flip the rims on my 300

Meek
02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
I flipped my rims once, the only problem that I had is that they were still on the quad when I did it.