PDA

View Full Version : Question for boogiechile

mxracer
02-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Hello boogiechile
I would like to know how much degrees your heim joint on your arms can moveThanks

boogiechile
02-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I can't remember right off. I will try to measure again and post it. There is an old thread about suspension, I think it was about long travel, I posted the degrees of 3/4 heim movement against standard ball joints. Best I can remember the heims had about 10 degrees more but I dont remember the total degrees. Maybe you can find that old thread. John Arens and I were both posting on it.

You also need to know that the amount of degrees a heim or spherical joint can move is dependent on the king pin that is used with it.

mxracer
02-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Hello boogiechile
Does the king pin is the part that bolt in the spindle?
When you buy the heim joint (on the site you give me before ) does the king pin comes with it ?
Thank you very much

boogiechile
02-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Heims do not come with king pins. That means they have no shaft sticking out that goes into the spindle like regular ball joints. So you have to use a king pin for that. The king pin must be made for your size heim (usually 3/4 for ball joints) and with the right taper for whatever spindles you are running. I buy king pins from Janssen racing. The other option is to by heim type ball joints from Houser. they are made with the king pins in them already. the only problem with that is cost. If you have king pins for regular heims, when the joint wears out you can keep the king pin and only replace the heim.

mxracer
02-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Hello
How much did you pay for the king pin
Thanks

boogiechile
02-09-2004, 06:56 PM
i think they were about 12 each.

Jnine
02-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Completely correct.

The angular changes in the ball joint and the heim joint type of pivot are dependant on the diameter of the socket and the stud sticking out of it. Most ball joints are only capable of about 40 degrees of misalignment and that is not enough for an ATV front end. That is why some a-arm makers will make their own pivots. (Like we have done) The bad thing about that is they are very expensive to make. The price gets pretty high because you must hold tight tolerances and use very specific materials. Plating is also an issue. Typical ball joints cost anywhere from $10 to $20, but making those parts will cost you more. You need quite a bit more than 40 degrees of angular change for good front end travel however.