View Full Version : Elka Rear Long Travel Shock Review

02-05-2004, 08:42 AM
I'd like to start this review with my thoughts on how this setup works compared to a standard travel Elka rear shock. I’ve ran a standard elka shock for a little over one year and have been very pleased with it. My rear shock was setup for 100% Cross Country style riding/racing. I've used it on MX tracks and just turned the compression and preload way up to compensate the large jumps. It soaked up everything on the track that I could give it. The small breaking bumps were a little rough but you can't expect a XC shock to work well on the MX track when that's not what it was built for. The rear shock worked well in just about all areas but no matter what adjustments I made it still wanted to swap around and buck in long rough sections. It wasn't bad enough that it beat you to death but it made for a rough ride and would wear you out faster in a race or long ride.

Before the Texas GNCC race this past weekend I was able to install the Long Travel Kit that Elka has designed on my 400ex rear end. I set the sag to Elkas specs and figured I would adjust the rest and fine tune it when I got to Texas.

After arriving in Texas I jumped on the quad and took off for the practice track. Within maybe 2 minutes on the quad in some VERY rough terrain I was absolutely AMAZED in the performance the new shock gave the quad. I ran one full lap and figured it could be a little softer and that the rebound was just a tad to fast. I turned the rebound down 2 clicks and compression down 3 clicks. Went back out for 1 more lap and I was even more amazed at how well this thing really worked. I purposely hit large humps, ruts, washed out areas, and rocks running across the trail faster than I would have before this setup, just to see if it would kick up or swap back and forth. Well I couldn't get it to do anything but work like it was designed. You riders know the feeling when you’re going down a trail and there's a washed out spot, you carry the front wheels over, let the back drop down in the rut and WHAMO. The rear end hits like a ton of bricks, and up comes the rear end like you’re on a bronco bull. Those days are over people. It will soak it up and all the other obstacles in the trail that you've slowed down for in the past. It was actually kind of hard to get the confidence to push the quad to the limits of; “Well I might go over the bars and wreck if I do hit this spot with this much speed”. I truly can't say enough good things about this setup and could go on for hours, but I won't. I'll get to the pics of the kit and install. There’s no doubt in my mind that this kit WILL make you a faster and smoother rider, but it's up to you to have the confidence to push it to the limit.

02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
In the pic below you can see the difference in the stock linkage (top) compared to the LT linkage from Elka (bottom). The Elka linkage moves the shock into a more vertical position which is were the extra travel comes into place. The ONLY downfall to this new linkage is that it sits ¼ of an inch lower than the stock linkage which in turn will rub against the skid plate. I placed washers in between the swingarm and skidplate at the FRONT of the skid plate to fix the problem temporarily.

Again, the clearance issue is only at the front of the skid plate next to the frame and under the pivot bolt, not at the back were ground clearance is an issue.

02-05-2004, 08:44 AM
The difference in the springs and crossover rings are significant. It’s hard to notice but the top spring on the left has a much lighter coil to it than the spring on the right. You might be thinking well the one on the right is not an SSD spring. Your correct it’s not an SSD spring but the shock still has the Self Sagging option and will NOT sit higher than the front if you run SSD springs on your front shocks. The crossover ring is also larger to transfer the weight more evenly and at the appropriate time during the shock’s travel.

Please DO NOT be confused, this rear shock is an SSD shock and will work perfectly with any Elka front shocks with SSD springs. Actually, it would work great with any front shock setup with SSD.

02-05-2004, 08:46 AM
You do not have to be a shock technician nor do you need special tools to install this kit. Place the shock in a vice, back the preload off completely and remove the bottom spring retainer. (Pic 1) The retainer can be removed by pulling down on the springs and you slide the retainer off the shaft via the gap as shown in (Pic 1)

(PIC 1)

02-05-2004, 08:47 AM
With the retainer removed both springs and crossover ring should slide off the shaft. (Pic 2) Spray the threads down on the shaft with WD-40 and wipe away any grit or dirt that are on the threads. Reinstall the new springs and crossover ring and tighten down the preload slightly. (If you are not comfortable or confident in taking your shock apart send it to a trained technician) You will need to set the sag on the shocks once the shock is installed on the quad so don’t spend much time adjusting the preload.

(PIC 2)

02-05-2004, 08:50 AM
After the shock has been reinstalled, the sag should be set at 8.5 to 9 inches with the rider on the quad. The front should also have the same amount of sag. The green lines in the pic below show were to measure sag at both front and back of the frame.

Wheel travel with only the Elka rear shock is 10.1 inch (increased by 1 inch over stock) and with the linkage you get 10.9inch (0.8 more than just the Elka rear shock).
In the past people were cutting and rewelding the frame to move the upper shock mount. The idea of cutting and rewelding a frame is not the best thing.

Another advantage of the Elka rear 400EX linkage is to give a different curve in the rising rate in the motion ratio. Instead of having a very small soft part at the beggining of the travel you will have a very long plush part, at the end it will rise to give you a good bottoming out resistance.

With the rear wheels slightly touching the ground, I had 13 inches between the ground and rear part of the frame. That is very impressive ground clearance that really shows while hammering down the trail.

02-05-2004, 09:04 AM
The Long Travel Kit includes one Anodized billet lower linkage, upper spring, cross over ring, and lower spring.

This Kit will only work on Elka rear shocks and NOT rebuilt stock shocks.

Contact your local Elka dealer for the best rear shock on the market. Ride Hard, Ride Fast, Ride Elka !!!!!

beak7707
02-05-2004, 11:26 AM
That sounds like a really nice setup, do they make it for a 250r?

cdalejef
02-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Clean up that messy bench!

Pappy
02-05-2004, 11:37 AM
great review rico!!!!

i have rode a z400 with this set up and it makes a HUGE difference!!!

stamperbob
02-05-2004, 11:40 AM
whats the retail of this setup with springs

02-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by stamperbob
whats the retail of this setup with springs

Not real sure of what retail is on the setup. Call around and get some price quotes. I believe it is under $300 and I would have to say it's well worth it..:cool:

I would also think that if you bought a new elka shock with this kit all at once the price would be even better.

400EXrider#91
02-05-2004, 01:52 PM
sounds great do they make it for the yfz 450? and where did you get it?

cdalejef
02-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 400EXrider#91
sounds great do they make it for the yfz 450? and where did you get it? Linkage for the YFZ is in progress ;)

Pappy
02-05-2004, 01:54 PM
the Elka YFZ linkage will make its debut shortly

400EXrider#91
02-05-2004, 02:08 PM
thanks guys let me know when they come out

remlapr
02-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Great review Rico.

I also have this setup and agree with everything he said 100%, it works great! My favorite part was the no more Whamo! LOL but that is dead on...

Dave400ex
02-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Sounds like just one more thing to add to the list!

cheetah
02-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Available for dales too right now?;)

nacs400ex
02-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Do you think they would make this for the 250r ? I am really excited on this setup, but I cant run it seeing how I am selling my 400ex. I am guessing they will not make it for the 250r because its not in production anymore, but I hope so :D .

Tommy 17
02-06-2004, 03:27 PM
j.w. but why can't u use this with another shock??? couldn't u just change the springs on the other ones like the elka...

i guess what i'm tryin to say is why wouldn't a rebuild rear work... or why woudln't a AXIS...

Fred55
02-06-2004, 04:33 PM
If you run this setup, arent you now unable to run the pro production class? Isnt there a rule about changes the mounting points for the shocks?

remlapr
02-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
j.w. but why can't u use this with another shock??? couldn't u just change the springs on the other ones like the elka...

i guess what i'm tryin to say is why wouldn't a rebuild rear work... or why woudln't a AXIS...

Tommy - I don't know if this is the only reason, but one definate reason that you can't run this with a rebuilt stocker is that the Elka rear is cut away on the back off the bottom shock mount in a way that allows the elka linkage to clear. The stocker is not. If you tried to run a stocker with this linkage, the shock body would bind against the linkage and probably tear everything up. I have no idea about an axis or any other full aftermarket, but the stock shock body definately won't work...

BIGRED400
02-06-2004, 05:39 PM
GOOD JOB HOSS:macho

Tommy 17
02-06-2004, 09:26 PM
thanks for explain that remlapr... i was j.w. why...

CatMostFeared
02-07-2004, 04:15 AM
Pappy you mean this thing from Elka for the YFZ

http://home.insightbb.com/~catmostfeared/wsb/media/474400/site1040.jpg

400EXrider#91
02-07-2004, 12:38 PM
so it out yet or what, i need to know if i am gonna have to wait so when i buy a new rear elka that i can tell them what i want to do

02-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 400EXrider#91
so it out yet or what, i need to know if i am gonna have to wait so when i buy a new rear elka that i can tell them what i want to do

It's available to anyone..

400EXrider#91
02-07-2004, 02:53 PM
where can i pick one up at?

Fred55
02-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
If you run this setup, arent you now unable to run the pro production class? Isnt there a rule about changes the mounting points for the shocks?

Dave400ex
02-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Fred I believe it's with only re-welding the upper mounts to a new location. Yokley and Gust both ran that Linkage in Pro Production classes last year.

cdalejef
02-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Actually, in gncc you are allowed to modify the upper shock mount but with the new linkage its not necessary anymore.

Bill Fuller
02-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Will this same type of set up be available for the Cannondale?Just curious since it's a no link rear........fill us in Jeff.

cheetah
02-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Will this same type of set up be available for the Cannondale?Just curious since it's a no link rear........fill us in Jeff.

thats what i was wondering

cdalejef
02-08-2004, 02:04 PM
No, you already have the best setup with the no-link!

cheetah
02-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
No, you already have the best setup with the no-link!

:macho

crap-banshee32
02-10-2004, 03:59 PM
so the kit is just under $300......say u dont even have the elka rear shock yet....can u order the shock with the LT springs and stuff already on it?

or would i have to get the shock....and order the lt setup 2?
u get what im talking about?

b.c im really considering this

thanks
nick

Pappy
02-10-2004, 04:02 PM
i just ordered my new elka's and the rear will come with the new linkage all ready to install on my quad.

crap-banshee32
02-10-2004, 04:06 PM
ok...so i can get the whole thing as a package, and it will be ready to put on my quad....:) nice

im probably gunna do that.

cdalejef
02-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
ok...so i can get the whole thing as a package, and it will be ready to put on my quad....:) nice

im probably gunna do that. You got it!

Ex_Rider43
02-12-2004, 02:08 PM
well maybe elka can modify a stock shock to fit??? I was thinkin about sending the rear to rebuild and all so if I tell them to modify the body to fit the LT linkage??

maybe??

Doibugu2
02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Elka, I know you read these threads. Rico is biased. Please set me up with this setup so I can give a proper review.:D

You will sell many more of these if I do a review too!

02-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Elka, I know you read these threads. Rico is biased. Please set me up with this setup so I can give a proper review.:D

You will sell many more of these if I do a review too! http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/wedgy.gif

Pappy
02-21-2004, 08:10 AM
big thumbs up to Elka

i installed my YFZ rear shock and Linkage. they installed easily and work perfectly!!!

brandonpeake
02-26-2004, 08:49 AM
can you have elka modify the rear stock 400 shock to work with this?

Pappy
02-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
can you have elka modify the rear stock 400 shock to work with this?

nada

brandonpeake
02-26-2004, 09:24 AM
yeah i thought it was wishfull thinking, but im just going to have to shell out the $ if i want the performance!

mxracer47
03-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Pappy,

What did the rear Elka linkage & shock run you for the YFZ ? And how do you like it ? I see on there website it says it gives 13" of rear travel.It sounds like a very cool setup.

Thanks, Rich

Pappy
03-08-2004, 08:04 AM
i think the prices are listed on elka's website.

so far its awesome. it has so much travel out back that i can barely lift the quad off the ground:eek2: being short sucks:mad: i unloaded it the other night out of my truck and when the rear tires cleared the tailgate, the suspension lowered so far the swing arm hit my tailgate:grr: my wife started laughing because there im standing with the grab bar over my head and it still hit the damn thing:p

so far its soaked up everything ive thrown at it...worth the $$ IMO

cummingetit
03-08-2004, 09:53 AM
I also have the long travel and love it.

I think there is a way to be able to use the stock shock and the long travel. You would have to move the support in front of the shock towrds the motor. Burgard had to do this even for my elka setup and there is more room to go forwards. If that still wasn't enough you could clearence the top edge.

I have a Burgard rear swinger, so looking at only mine I think it is possible to use a stock shock. I will try to put it on to see if it fits and let you know.

03-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by cummingetit
I also have the long travel and love it.

I think there is a way to be able to use the stock shock and the long travel. You would have to move the support in front of the shock towrds the motor. Burgard had to do this even for my elka setup and there is more room to go forwards. If that still wasn't enough you could clearence the top edge.

I have a Burgard rear swinger, so looking at only mine I think it is possible to use a stock shock. I will try to put it on to see if it fits and let you know.

It's not a matter of a rear shock fitting it. I'll answer that for you right now. YES a rear stock shock will FIT but it will not WORK properly. Follow me...;)

(ELKA DOES NOT RECOMMEND THIS LONG TRAVEL SETUP WITH A STOCK SHOCK NOT EVEN A REBUILT STOCK SHOCK) so people don't start thinking well if it fits it must work because it doesn't.

Pappy
03-08-2004, 03:37 PM
id have to say the shock shaft would bind due to the new angle from the linkage and either bend or snap.

Hammer trx450r
03-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Hey guys does Elka have them for the 450r? And should i go no-link for MX?

03-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
Hey guys does Elka have them for the 450r? And should i go no-link for MX?

You don't need a no link setup. I'm sure Doug Gust and Tavis Cain have this setup and aren't complaining. Both just did very well at the Florida GNC race..:cool:

Hammer trx450r
03-08-2004, 07:46 PM
not argueing with ya! I definatly want to go this route. Just was trying to understand why you would go with it. Just sick of going one route to find out i want something else

cummingetit
03-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Rico
It's not a matter of a rear shock fitting it. I'll answer that for you right now. YES a rear stock shock will FIT but it will not WORK properly. Follow me...;)

(ELKA DOES NOT RECOMMEND THIS LONG TRAVEL SETUP WITH A STOCK SHOCK NOT EVEN A REBUILT STOCK SHOCK) so people don't start thinking well if it fits it must work because it doesn't.

I was assuming that you would revalve to correct specs and put the proper spings on it.

Does elka have magic valving that could not be duplicated in the stock shock? Have you tried to revalve yours and put the proper spings on it? Of course elka would not reccomend this setup, they have everyone buying both there shock and linkage. Are you a rep for Elka Rico?

cdalejef
03-09-2004, 07:28 AM
The stroke on a stock shock is not long enough for the linkage setup.

03-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by cummingetit
Are you a rep for Elka Rico?

Kinda sorta... LOL

I've rode a rebuilt elka rear and it is no comparison to the actual elka rear shock.. I'm still amazed at how good this rear setup works..

XANDADA
03-09-2004, 08:16 AM
do they make this linkage setup for a 250r too?

03-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
do they make this linkage setup for a 250r too?

I've been told it's in the works lady...:D

400exdad
03-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Okay, Rico, you know I'm cheap and the wife limits my fun funds.... but this sounds tooooo good! My quad is in shape except for the shocks...... :eek: <---- me bottoming out! :D How much $ for the whole set for XC? Joe Blows price, not pro racers like you! :macho

03-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by 400exdad
Okay, Rico, you know I'm cheap and the wife limits my fun funds.... but this sounds tooooo good! My quad is in shape except for the shocks...... :eek: <---- me bottoming out! :D How much $ for the whole set for XC? Joe Blows price, not pro racers like you! :macho

If your talking about 2 shocks up front and the rear with the LT kit already on it I honestly can't say. Call around and get some price checks. It's not gonna be cheap I can say that, and it also depends on what all options you get with the shocks such as which adjustments, which spring setup, rezzy's or no rezzy's. The price will be high but it is well worth the money but I can't say if it'll be worth the divorce...:eek2:

:D

400exdad
03-17-2004, 11:28 AM
No divorce for me.. thats way more expensive than shocks! :D I knew it was a question you prolly couldn't answer (vague) and I would have to call to get "my price" with the options that I wanted... I just didn't want to drop the phone when I heard the number. :eek2:

Doibugu2
03-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 400exdad
No divorce for me.. thats way more expensive than shocks! :D I knew it was a question you prolly couldn't answer (vague) and I would have to call to get "my price" with the options that I wanted... I just didn't want to drop the phone when I heard the number. :eek2:

Just a guess but the cheapest Elka front is over $500 and at least $750 for the rear.

Pappy
03-17-2004, 12:26 PM
just plan on $1600 for fronts and rear and be done with it. I can garuntee that it will be the best money spent on your quad...regardless of brand chosen

PATTE440
03-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Rico hit is smack dab on the head with this review that thing was GREAT. i had elka on my 400ex and when i found out they wouldnt work on my new 450r and i read about the linkage i know i had to try it for myself. IT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. you would not belive how much faster you can go if your not bouncing off of everyting on the track. i will never run any other. i give it two thumbs up

Natertot426ex
03-29-2004, 07:49 PM
I was looking at Doug Eichners 450r yesterday and it had the link on it. He has one sweat quad!!!!

04-17-2004, 08:49 AM
I wanna buy this setup but i have no preload shocks...are the springs with the linkage available in SSD and non or is it just non...and how will the setup work with the SSD fronts....also what air scoops are those are your bike rico....i want some

04-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
I wanna buy this setup but i have no preload shocks...are the springs with the linkage available in SSD and non or is it just non...and how will the setup work with the SSD fronts....also what air scoops are those are your bike rico....i want some

Setup works great with SSD it is SSD also..:cool:

Air scoops are for sale, send me a PM and there yours...;)

PEPwalshZ440
04-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Just got it on my 450r....definetly worth it.
Mike

vtwoodsrider
05-03-2004, 06:15 PM
my friend is running this set up on his trx450 and is having a problem with the chain comming off? when the shock is fully compressed ther is a ton of slack ..but with him just sitting on it the chain is tight.. any one else have this problem?

05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by vtwoodsrider
my friend is running this set up on his trx450 and is having a problem with the chain comming off? when the shock is fully compressed ther is a ton of slack ..but with him just sitting on it the chain is tight.. any one else have this problem?

I'd contact elka reguarding that issue. My chain stays just about the same thru the entire travel...:confused:

Hammer trx450r
05-04-2004, 03:56 PM
mine too!! the swinger didn't change so i dont know why that would happen

05-06-2004, 09:30 PM
well i hope this thing is as good as u say it is rico...i went ahead and bought it...i also got some tag t2 bars...hopefully those are pretty kool 2 so now my fly bars are for sale...did u get my money order and ship the scoops yet?:devil: :D :macho

05-08-2004, 09:45 AM
well i hope this thing is as good as u say it is rico...i went ahead and bought it...i also got some tag t2 bars...hopefully those are pretty kool 2 so now my fly bars are for sale...did u get my money order and ship the scoops yet?:devil: :D :macho

Scoops are on the way and believe me. The money spent on the LT setup is well worth it..:cool: Make sure to get the correct frame to ground clearance with you on the quad if you want it to perform like it should..:) It also likes to be rode hard and fast.....:devil:

Hammer trx450r
05-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey Rico i just noticed my shock came fully soft on comp and rebound. Do they all come like that? also preload is all the way up. For some reason i remember my axis coming setup for me. Any tips on initial setup of this thing?

Hammer trx450r
05-08-2004, 06:27 PM
By the way, I thought this thing was awesome the way it was! Can't wait to dial it in

RG #43
05-11-2004, 07:50 AM
I just got the Linkage on my YFZ 450 last week and got the first tryout on a really whooped out sand track during a race.
I already had the fronts and notice the back needed to be addressed right away,as the rear had a tendancy to buck and dance around the front.
We are the last race of the day and only atv class so the braking/acceleration bumps and ruts were the worst I have seen to date. The suspension worked flawlessly. Whenever I got in the rough sections I just hammered the gas, It stayed straight and no bucking or dancing. The guys watching said that my quad was definately the smoothest looking out there and when we got to the rough, I started pulling away on everyone. I was not tired after my moto and was not soar even the day after. I am so pumped about the way my machine handles now. I have never had anything handle this good and couldn't be happier. Props go to Elka for making this already good suspension that much better!

05-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by RG #43
The suspension worked flawlessly. Whenever I got in the rough sections I just hammered the gas, It stayed straight and no bucking or dancing. The guys watching said that my quad was definately the smoothest looking out there and when we got to the rough, I started pulling away on everyone. I was not tired after my moto and was not soar even the day after. I am so pumped about the way my machine handles now. I have never had anything handle this good and couldn't be happier. Props go to Elka for making this already good suspension that much better!

It's pretty amazing isn't it.....:cool:

I had some new front main springs installed a week ago and took mine out this weekend on some rough feild sections. Did some dialing in and now the quad handles the way I want it too. The rearend still amazes me at how well it handles the stuff most people let off the gas on and now I give it more gas in those sections...:eek:

remlapr
05-11-2004, 02:39 PM
It's pretty amazing isn't it.....:cool:

I had some new front main springs installed a week ago and took mine out this weekend on some rough feild sections. Did some dialing in and now the quad handles the way I want it too. The rearend still amazes me at how well it handles the stuff most people let off the gas on and now I give it more gas in those sections...:eek:

Did you go to softer or harder? I still think I need harder valving on my fronts and maybe softer springs, but my rear is perfect!

05-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Did you go to softer or harder? I still think I need harder valving on my fronts and maybe softer springs, but my rear is perfect!

My fronts were setup for 30% MX and 70% XC but now that I"m not doing much MX anymore I had softer main springs installed. Left the preload the same and actually softened up the compression a little and I really like the difference.

05-11-2004, 04:24 PM
got the scoops today...thx rico...nice doin business with u :D ...i am gonna have to move my rear shock ressie tho cuz its in the way...elka stuff comes on monday ill tell u guys what i think :devil:

pnut420
05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
How much are you guys paying for this setup and where is the cheapest place to go. I am going to revalve my fronts soon and figured I might as well go all out

05-24-2004, 07:37 PM
After the shock has been reinstalled, the sag should be set at 8.5 to 9 inches with the rider on the quad. The front should also have the same amount of sag. The green lines in the pic below show were to measure sag at both front and back of the frame.

do i measure the sag with me on the bike or with me off the bike or with it jacked up like u have it?:confused: also why is my bike making a loud @$$ noise when the rear shock moves up and down...that plastic piece is like dragging...did this happen to u...how do i fix it

i cant give u the price i got it for...but i got it from nac's...they had to go through a big ordeal with elka...but retail is like $320 from nac's...direct through elka is the same price:macho :confused:

05-26-2004, 09:12 AM
why is my bike making a loud @$$ noise when the rear shock moves up and down...that plastic piece is like dragging...did this happen to u...how do i fix it

That's just the crossover ring sliding on the threads of the shock body. No biggie.

Pnut:::::

Prices vary at different places. I suggest looking at site sponsor or call around. $300 is about an average price for it and well worth the money I think..

pnut420
05-26-2004, 06:14 PM
That's just the crossover ring sliding on the threads of the shock body. No biggie.

Pnut:::::

Prices vary at different places. I suggest looking at site sponsor or call around. $300 is about an average price for it and well worth the money I think..

Yeah I think I will be getting that for sure, just a matter of time. I was thinking about doing a no link rear with a PEP, I mainly ride MX tracks, some people love the no link and some dont. Soon as I get my YZ426 conversion together Im going to save up and do something in the rear, the stock linkage isnt good enough after spending a ton of $ on other things might as well go all out.

05-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
Yeah I think I will be getting that for sure, just a matter of time. I was thinking about doing a no link rear with a PEP, I mainly ride MX tracks, some people love the no link and some dont. Soon as I get my YZ426 conversion together Im going to save up and do something in the rear, the stock linkage isnt good enough after spending a ton of $ on other things might as well go all out.

At Red bud this past weekend everyone said Gust went thru the new whoops section faster than anyone there. This LT setup elka has just put themselfs on the top for rear suspension..:macho The no link was the hot item in the 90's but it's 2004 now and technology is better..

AAAirbooorn
06-06-2004, 07:06 AM
I'm sold.! I'm getting the linkage and a shock. $1600 bucks??? Somebody stop me!!!!:eek2:

Hammer trx450r
06-06-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by AAAirbooorn
I'm sold.! I'm getting the linkage and a shock. $1600 bucks??? Somebody stop me!!!!:eek2:

1600? i didnt pay that much

Dave400ex
06-06-2004, 10:26 AM
I would think it wouldn't be much over $1,100. Isn't the shock like $800?

06-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I would think it wouldn't be much over $1,100. Isn't the shock like $800?

actually its cheaper cuz u get the spring kit already installed for free....so i would think like $850 for the rear shock...$180 for the linkage...and thats retail

dawnchris
06-07-2004, 05:52 PM
This setup available for a 250R??

06-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by dawnchris
This setup available for a 250R??

I don't think so...:(

Sc0
06-11-2004, 08:50 AM
How would this compare to something like Houser's LT rear end, which also uses a link?
(Granted this is a cheaper upgrade for those who already have an aftermarket swinger.)

06-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Sc0
How would this compare to something like Houser's LT rear end, which also uses a link?
(Granted this is a cheaper upgrade for those who already have an aftermarket swinger.)

I don't know since i've never rode a houser LT linkage but GT thunder also offers new linkage but your shock will have to be rebuilt by Laz. I've heard nothing but positive thing about this setup also, and it's cheaper. www.gtthunder.com

Pappy
06-18-2004, 07:06 AM
the only draw back ive had with Elka's new linkage is skidplate clearence. On both my YFZ and TRX ive had to cut out a window for the linkage to clear. the YFZ was a snap , but the PRM Z skid on the TRX is a bit more work.

06-18-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
the only draw back ive had with Elka's new linkage is skidplate clearence.

This is very true for me also. I added 1/4in spacers between the skid and swingarm to fix the problem.:cool:

Pappy
06-18-2004, 07:12 AM
i tried that on the R without success. im going to have Burgard make me a new swing arm and make me custom length mounts

07-08-2004, 01:10 PM
This is very true for me also. I added 1/4in spacers between the skid and swingarm to fix the problem.:cool:

ya i jus put some spacers on the top part where it bolts on...its fine now...didnt lose any clearance to the ground because the front of the skidplate sits higher then the back anyway:macho

07-09-2004, 08:19 AM
ya i jus put some spacers on the top part where it bolts on...its fine now...didnt lose any clearance to the ground because the front of the skidplate sits higher then the back anyway:macho

Well after the abuse at the Rausch Creek GNCC my skid was mashed into the linkage pretty bad. I bent it back out and figured all was good. Well now it doesn't take much to bend the skid into the linkage, so I did cut the skid up so the linkage won't hit it anymore. Plan on adding an additional peice to the skid to protect it.

Andy Lagzdin broke his Elka Linkage at wisp due to no coverage from rocks and what not, so just cutting away the skid for clearance really might not be the way to go..:confused:

Here's what the linkage looked like from rubbing the skid..

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/2004_gncc_pics/RauschCreek/linkage.jpg

Doibugu2
07-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Man that sucks Rico. Silly question, do you think it got bent into it because of the spacers you put in there?

UglyMotha™
07-09-2004, 09:02 AM
:eek:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/pf09d200ad857bb5b4434c2b5a9a68696/f88ea38b.jpg

I took a big ole notch outta my skid plate for my gt thunder link in order for it to clear, i've put it thru some pretty good abuse so far, and it's taken some pretty nasty hits and so far no damage, I didn't like the idea at first but that was what laz told me to do, and he said they've yet to break one it is a very beefy link but I dunno how it compares to elka beef wise

Dave400ex
07-09-2004, 10:22 AM
I was wondering about something. Some guys were moving the rear shock mount up like an 1", 1 1/2", could you move the rear mount for a longer shock, and still run the Elka linkage also? I'm not planning on doing it, but wonder if that could be a ultimate setup?

CTmxyfz
07-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Mike Bard, a walsh race craft rider broke his elka linkage at southwick 2 weeks ago. He didn't even hit anything either. I just bolted up my LT setup today and i do not plan on running a rear skid for MX. hope ill be alright.

07-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Man that sucks Rico. Silly question, do you think it got bent into it because of the spacers you put in there?

That's a big 10-4 good buddy.

AAAirbooorn
07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Maybe a Titanium or Carbide linkage is the answer.:huh

RG #43
07-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by CTmxyfz
Mike Bard, a walsh race craft rider broke his elka linkage at southwick 2 weeks ago. He didn't even hit anything either. I just bolted up my LT setup today and i do not plan on running a rear skid for MX. hope ill be alright.

I think you should be fine if it is for the YFZ in your sig, the linkage is much smaller and not really much diff in size from stock. The stock skids run no protection for it anyways and mine showed no signs of abuse until the swing arm snapped. Linkage is still kicking just a little scratched up on the bottom.

popo
07-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Put Custom Axis on and you don't need all those fancy add on linkage gizmos.

Hammer trx450r
07-18-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by popo

:p :p :p

Sc0
07-18-2004, 11:17 AM
I have a Custom AXIS and still have the fancy linkage gizmo, Houser LT.

scott34
07-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Can you run an Elka linkage with axis, And those who have had axis and now ride elka how much better or worse in comparison between the two? I have full axis set up and love them but have also heard many good things about Elka. Building a 450 and want to know. thanks

07-21-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by scott34
Can you run an Elka linkage with axis

I would say yes you can but ONLY if the axis shock is setup to work with the linkage. Having an axis shock and stock linkage then just replacing the linkage and doing nothing with the shock would offer a terrible ride because the leverage point on the linkage has changed.

TORO1968
07-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Okay, so I HAD to go and read all eight pages of this thread...now I think my wallet is going to start hurting! :eek:

Lets see, a-arms, swingarm, axle, front shocks, rear shock and linkage...ouch.

Thanks Rico! :mad: :D

pnut420
08-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by popo

Axis just make your quads look good POPO. You make all these comments about Axis but have no logic/reason for it, maybe they help win beauty contests but in the race world Elkas are hanging with all the other shocks and its not just the linkage. :rolleyes:

allmixedup047
08-31-2004, 12:24 AM
i was thinking, a few people on here are talking about going to the LT elkas from the stock set up, and they are trying to figure out prices, shouldnt they be adding in the LT a-arms too. those are around $750.
hey Rico, do you like the band 311 or is that just a number picked out of a hat.
and im sure someone asked this already, but after 8 pages of trying to stay awake, it looked like you went from stock travel to LT using the same shock. if thats the case and i have my stock shocks rebuilt by colby using the elka springs, would i be able to us this LT rear end set up by just ordering it from Elka.:confused: thats if they have it out for the 450r yet.
thanks, Chris

Bill Fuller
08-31-2004, 05:17 AM
The LT setup that this thread is about is for the rear end.Thats the reason knowbody has figured in the cost of the a arms.

allmixedup047
08-31-2004, 09:34 PM
If your talking about 2 shocks up front and the rear with the LT kit already on it I honestly can't say. Call around and get some price checks. It's not gonna be cheap I can say that, and it also depends on what all options you get with the shocks such as which adjustments, which spring setup, rezzy's or no rezzy's. The price will be high but it is well worth the money but I can't say if it'll be worth the divorce...
I just figured if someone is going with LT in the rear they would go with LT in the front. thats why i said figure in the price on
a-arms. but i guess you dont have to go with LT up front with it.;)

Ex_Rider43
09-01-2004, 08:57 AM
well I cant say for the 450r but for a 400 it wont be good because your shock will hit the new linkage. the 450r linkage looks a lot like the 400 linkage also.

a rebuilt stocker on a 400 wont work but on a 450r I dont know I think its about shock stroke or something.. someone can explain it better Im sure ;)

xcracer01
09-04-2004, 07:36 PM
I also run the lt linkage on my z400. I found out that i had so much more rear travel that last race in some big whoops my exhaust hit my rear caliper. I guess I will space out my pipe some more.