PDA

View Full Version : racing cornering question

xrracer36
02-05-2004, 07:15 AM
hi all.
sorry for sounding ignorant to the 4 wheelers, but i just started on the quad last year for fun, loved it, and am jumping in full bore this year.

anyways, when cornering on a quad, i realize the best thing to do is hang your rump as far to the inside as possible. and i also realize from some trail riding that my 400ex handles MUCH better when i am standing on the pegs rather than sitting on the couch cushion, err, i mean seat (my yz400 has a rather narrow, hard seat compared to the quad) my question is, when doing this, is it most effective to put your weight on the outside footpeg primarily, or the inside one, or take your outer foot off the peg and lay that leg across the seat, or what?

in the snow, it seems that you can weight you pegs different to break the rear end loose or grab traction, but i know that's overexagerated by the snow. i am just currently getting ready for the quickly upcoming season, and don't want to get into any bad habits that i'll have to break right off the bat.

oh, and i'm talking about MX and cross country racing, not flat track, TT, or any thing like that...

thanks
:macho
racer36

bradley300
02-05-2004, 10:15 AM
the best thing to do, is watch how others do it at the races and just take it what you can

cdalejef
02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
When cornering, try to weight the outside peg.

SECCRS
02-05-2004, 10:54 AM
On a recent Harescramble I thought I would ride with some of the top guys for the practice lap. Well I go into the woods leading them and im flipping up on two wheels left and right. Got slowed down some and the first tells me HEY DUMMY use your weight. Its funny how you get ahead of yourself and over your head and dont think.

I think the most important thing I learned was put your knee on the front fender is this over drastic, a little. But you will learn how to handle corners alot faster.

Doug

cheetah
02-05-2004, 11:02 AM
A good set of shocks to go with this skill helps too.

gimp419
02-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Lean to the inside of the quad while braking and as soon as you get a little over half way through the corner shift your weight back and to the outside. This keeps you on 4 wheels going in and gives you traction coming out. You don't want the rear of the quad to pass the front at any point in the corner! It's ok to slide in but use that outside weight to get it straight as soon as you can. Foot peg extenders work great for helping to weight the outside peg in a corner.