PDA

View Full Version : OH Damn, Another HotCams failure!

shamisc
02-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Dammit! I built a 416 for my buddy back in Sept and that thing kicked arse. He called me today and said the he was riding it and it starting knocking, then klaplunck, it locked up. Anyway, to make a long story short, I started tearing it down earlier and noticed when you turn the crank over at the fly wheel, it had no comp. So, I took the valve cover off and noticed that the timing chain was turning with the crank, but the cam wasn't! That DAMN cam sprocket flange that came on the cam was free spinning on the cam!:mad: :grr: :mad: Bent the exhaust valves pretty bad and slightly bent the intakes. I thought these guys had this problem fixed! The bore and piston look good, but I don't know if I can trust that rod now! What's you guys input on this?? :mad: :( :grr:

02-05-2004, 06:58 AM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/scared.gif http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/shocker.gif http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/rant2.gif

Pappy
02-05-2004, 07:00 AM
hey ...the bright side is they might replace the cam for free:rolleyes:

sickmojave
02-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Where did you buy this cam?

I see these cams on ebay all the time and was wondering how you could tell if it is the old style or the new.:confused:

MIKE400EX
02-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Is that one of the newer ones with the HotCams flange and square key or an older one that used the OEM flange?

rhandw69
02-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Where or who did you buy that cam from???

2003EXRIDER
02-05-2004, 10:19 AM
sorry to hear that bro. i thought they had them fixed too...guess not:grr: :grr:

shamisc
02-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
Is that one of the newer ones with the HotCams flange and square key or an older one that used the OEM flange?

It's the new one I guess, comes with the flange!

xc400ex
02-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Call hotcams im almost positive they'll take care of you...so the flange just broke clean off I take it?

speedy400
02-05-2004, 01:47 PM
edit- sorry, just posting a fact sbout hotcams they usually have great reliability...;) -darren

sickmojave
02-05-2004, 02:03 PM
*EDIT* It's all good ;)

UglyMotha™
02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
i've already had to weld mine back up 6 times already :o

Colby@C&DRacing
02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
You may have gotten one of the first cams that came with the flange on it. That cam still used the same spline as stock, they just installed the flange for you. THe new ones have a keyed shaft and I can not see how that design could ever come loose. Sorry to here about the problem but I am sure hot cam will take care of it. Look at the cam and let us know which one it is. I have been running one of the original cams that I installed the flange on in dusty's bike for along time with no worries

H_W
02-05-2004, 03:13 PM
I have been running one of the earlier ones, (without the flange) for over a year now with no problems what so ever. I really like the cam.

norcalatver
02-05-2004, 03:46 PM
You don't see any **** my Web cam broke or my T.C. cam broke, or my FDO cam broke! Hopefully Hotcams will refund all your expenses and you can make your own decision from there whether to trust a new Hot Cam or not. Good Luck!

sandspanker
02-08-2004, 11:21 PM
:( bummer .Got a ? for you all my buddy has a hot cam very very noisy anybody elses cam noisy? just wondering.:confused:

UglyMotha™
02-09-2004, 06:10 AM
a more aggressive came is not goin to be a quiet as stock

KASCHAK
02-09-2004, 02:04 PM
uh oh.. im getting a hotcam 1 put in as we speak.. i hope its the new style.. and i hope it keeps together..

skemp
02-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Do like I did twice. Get a new one from them and sell it on Ebay. I don't see how people still purchase from a company that started out selling thousands of junk parts. I guess they are cheaper than the others.

sandspanker
02-09-2004, 04:48 PM
:) I got a HRC cam very quiet, just a quiet as the stock one.:p

JD400exrider
02-09-2004, 08:28 PM
I am sorry to here that. I hope hot cams takes care of your problem

Originally posted by sandspanker
:) I got a HRC cam very quiet, just a quiet as the stock one.:p

Ditto

Oh Ya don't forget though they are overpriced, not worth the money, Not as good a grind. That dam decompression chit is not needed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bmw500hp
02-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Ya don't forget though they are overpriced, not worth the money, Not as good a grind. That dam decompression chit is not needed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:devil: :devil: hahaha

bmw500hp
02-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Don't Knock Hot-Cams...they have probably done one of the best jobs of finding a niche or void in the market and capitalizing on it then any other manufacturer offering an internal engine components...

Factors leading to success...

Convienience, Margin, and Price point....:D

JD400exrider
02-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
Don't Knock Hot-Cams...they have probably done one of the best jobs of finding a niche or void in the market and capitalizing on it then any other manufacturer offering an internal engine components...

Factors leading to success...

Convienience, Margin, and Price point....:D

I am not knocking hot cams. They offer two cams at a much better price than all the others companies. As many cams as they have sold and the few we here about that have gone bad the ratio is still low. From what is told on here at least they stand behind there product when one goes bad. Thats more you can say about allot of companies.

For me though I chose to spend the extra money for piece of mind and the honda quality. HRC ;)

Bill Fuller
02-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems man.Like Mama said you get what you paid for,if it sounds to good to be true than it probably is.I'll say it again TC's GNCC came is by far the best cam I have ever used...........absolutely no problems.Peace of mind is expensive don't let anyone tell you different.

bmw500hp
02-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I am not knocking hot cams. They offer two cams at a much better price than all the others companies. As many cams as they have sold and the few we here about that have gone bad the ratio is still low. From what is told on here at least they stand behind there product when one goes bad. Thats more you can say about allot of companies.

For me though I chose to spend the extra money for piece of mind and the honda quality. HRC ;)

That wasn't in any way directed toward you John..My post just happen to follow yours. Quite frankly I am amazed at the continued product loyalty despite the failures. Not so sure the success to failure ratio is all that great.

Negative Theads like these can drastically hurt a manufacturers reputation. To date I have not seen one manufacturer not make right on a "customer complaint" post that that can potentially hurt future business.

It's seems a bit funny that when the complaint appears, the situation magically changes into a miscommunication.

YZROOSTINYA
02-10-2004, 09:11 PM
to pay 500 for what you can get for 100 is what most people would call a fool.

They are MANY excellent cam choices out there. all of them are good. Most cams out are made by web cam.

TC may make his own I am not sure.

The HOT CAM is NOT a defective cam. The loose broach causes no probs. if his engine went bad then there was most likely something else in the engine that went bad.

HOW is it that SO MANY people have first hand experience with the bad cam and still have put MANY hours on them with no probs.

Yet a few here and there that most likely put there engines back together without even washing before disassembly and the engine seizes and all of a sudden it must be ther HOT CAM.

When people that know start saying something then I will listen. When two 14 year old kids that are building engines in there shed start talking then I will continue to ignore it.

With that said this is in no direction to anyone posting here but you get the idea.

shamisc
02-11-2004, 02:09 AM
:grr: Alright YZROOSTA, this ain't my first rodeo. It's about my 15th EX motor build ! Not counting probably a 100 2 strokes ! I ALWAYS CLEAN AN ENGINE BEFORE A BUILD !!!! This is the first time that I used a HotCam and it bit me in the arse !! I always use WebCam's and have used a couple W.Bros. with NO problem what so ever ! You must not have much exp. on building, but when a cam flange spins on a cam, It's definately gonna bend some valves if not more !! So, If you don't know what yer talking about, keep your piehole SHUT and do your flaming elsewhere !!!!:macho Oh, and as for the 14 year old comment, everyone on here isn't 14 like yourself and I was building motors when you were still on the nipple!! Later NippleBoy !!

YZROOSTINYA
02-11-2004, 05:59 AM
With that said this is in no direction to anyone posting here but you get the idea. [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess you can't read.

I am just turned 25 on the 5th of feb sad to say. I have built 4 motors with the hotcam. I ran the old style myself for over 1 year/250hrs. No probs. The 3 other motors I have built 2 of which are the old style.

Maybe you floated a valve? maybe the chain skipped a tooth??

The other failures that occured with the hotcam on this site were caused by something else. maybe yours truly is bad????

I am just saying that alot of people on here just automatically assume that something is bad and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Personally I would like to see pics and curious how you determined it was the cam and not any other prob.

I will go back in my corner with my piehole now.

"

That wasn't in any way directed toward you John..My post just happen to follow yours. Quite frankly I am amazed at the continued product loyalty despite the failures. Not so sure the success to failure ratio is all that great.

Negative Theads like these can drastically hurt a manufacturers reputation. To date I have not seen one manufacturer not make right on a "customer complaint" post that that can potentially hurt future business.

It's seems a bit funny that when the complaint appears, the situation magically changes into a miscommunication."

as posted by BMW500hp