PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever rebiuld a steering stabilizer?

DTRAIN
02-26-2002, 03:48 PM
I was just curious if anyone ever had to rebuild a steering stablizer.

DTRAIN
02-27-2002, 03:01 PM
If no one has ever had to bebuild a steering stablizer, than why does everyone suggest that if your are going to buy one, that you must get a rebuildable one. No flame intended, just curious, b/c I am going to buy a Denton and I was told that buying a rebuildable one is not worth it. I was told that the regular ones last a very long time. And if a rebuildable one does need to be fixed, by the time you are done it will cost almost as much as a new one. ( $20. extra for rebuildable, $30. + shipping for the rebuild kit, plus time spent assembling it if you do it yourself, or labor cost if your dealer/shop guy does it for you. Plus you have the wear and tear on the other components that have not been rebuilt . If I am wrong in my thinking can someone please correct me.

86atc250r
02-27-2002, 03:26 PM
Get the rebuildable one - it's much higher quality.

The non rebuildable Denton has a couple problems. First is it's mounting geometry - there is no way to get the damping forces equal turning both directions without building your own mounting system.

Mine wore out in less than a season of racing (dead spot of no damping in the center).

The rebuildable unit does not suffer from the mounting problems and is a much better constructed unit.

Even if you don't plan on ever rebuilding it, you'd be far better off with the rebuildable one. Then, some day, if it lost a little oil, you just take it apart and correct the problem.

I've owned a non-rebuildable Denton, a rebuildable one, and a rebuildable WER damper. I sold the rebuildable one to a buddy before it needed rebuilt - I send my WER back to the company so they can install new seals & such...

Dampers, like the shocks they are, should be "rebuilt" at least once a season.

NJ300ex
02-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Gabe, how do you like the WER damper and is it worth the money over a normal less expensive stabilizer. Where can I find more info on this stabilizer and does it hold up to agressive XC riding and racing? How adjustible is it and would you recommend it over a normal steering stabilizer?

86atc250r
02-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Well... Long story...

First off, it's the damper of some of the fastest guys in XC racing (namely Bill Ballance, and many other GNCC racers)

http://www.werproducts.com/ is the website (although it appears to they let their domain expire and it was stolen by domain pirates)

It needs rebuilt fairly often for optimum performance, yes it is adjustable.

As for how much I like it - I wish it had a little more high speed damping and a little less low speed. The low speed is probably because I leave it adjusted pretty "tight" to make the highspeed damping more effective. It does not have independent adjustments for high and low speed damping. The damping can be adjusted from pretty loose to fairly firm (if that tells you anything)

I've talked to GNCC racers that swear by them - I haven't been as impressed with mine. It's going back to WER very soon, we'll see if it's any better when I get it back. It may be that it's just worn with use and I've become progressively less impressed by it.

I've also played with Scotts dampers - very nice units. I don't really like how they mount on a 400EX though - the way it has to be mounted gives the shaft quite a bit of play, which gives the damper a "spongy" feel.

The optimum setup in my opinion would be a setup like the new Cannondale Blaze has. A Scotts damper mounted down low, directly connected to the steering stem.

mountainman_270
12-30-2002, 09:52 PM
I've got the Denton rebuildable stabilzer. During a harsh night of riding, the mount became loose and long story short, the input shaft was bent badly but not broken. I straightened the shaft, but the flat marks left on the shaft from the process cause the seal to leak all the oil out. Does anyone have any input on how or even if I can rebuild the thing by myself. I'm very good a working with these types of things. I noticed the quad shop sells a kit, but I was wondering if it came with an input shaft plust seals. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!