PDA

View Full Version : 416

Max400
02-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I know that this subject has been beat to death so I've read almost all the past posts on this subject and have one question. For all of you that have got a 416, are you glad you did it? was it pretty easy to do and worth the time and money?
I am leaning towards a 416 with a hot cam stag 1, I ride trails and fire roads. any advise, pros and cons or advise would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks, Maxx400

SunDevil
02-04-2004, 11:09 AM
I am really glad I did mine...it was the best thing I could have done for the money. I did all the work myself execpt the boring. It was my first complete engine work project...i used the clymer manual and it went together very easy. I have not had one problem with the kit...You may want to look at stage 2 hot cam...2nd and 3rd gear are very powerful..I can pull wheelies up China Wall in Glamis (maybe the steepest dune out there) in third gear, no problem with the stage 2...

stamperbob
02-04-2004, 11:51 AM
I have had my 416 finished for about 4 months or so and it was a great improvment from a 406, plus I added a XR 400 Cam which is pretty equal with the Stage 1 cam you are thinking of, it is a great combo for woods racing/ trail riding, It is very easy to install and gives major gains compared to stock.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I would have to agree this is one of the better things I have done to my bike I have the 416 with the hotcam stg2. I didn't have any problems with the stg 2 racing the texas gncc. You will see the most gains doing the high compression piston and cam at the same time. I will never go back to a stock 400 ;) Make sure you clean the airfilter frequently and change the oil often and it will last a long time.:)

JD400exrider
02-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Max I love the 416 Very reliable nice power gains. I ride the same type of stuff you do and love it. The stage 1 cam should be OK for ya, however when you get on that long open road you may wish you went to the stage 2 or HRC. I did not loose any noticable low end with the HRC but a nice mid to top PUNCH. It climbs like a mofo

And also GOOOOOOOO KINGS :D

Max400
02-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I think that I will go with the stage 2.. my only concern was losing bottom end. Yeah JD400 I do ride the same stuff that you ride and the top end will be nice on the open fire roads:D I'm glad I got these replies cause I was leaning towards the stage 1. I gotta get this done now so it will be ready for this summer when hopefully I'll be riding again. Do you do all the work on yours JD? except the boring of your cylinder? This is the first time I've done this. I'm sure that it won't be that bad.
Silverfox I'll be calling you guys tomorrow, thanks for the input:D

Max400