PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450 vs z400 - atvconnection

cracer250
02-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Go to the atvconnection home page and check this article out. They say that these two quads are totally equal. I found this kind of hard to believe. Maybe we should keep all of our 400's then.

Pappy
02-04-2004, 07:54 AM
i can tell you that a stock yfz will flat smoke a z400 in just about every catagory except reverse:p

the yfz out handles the yfz, out preforms it in speed and has better factory suspension. if you read thier article it takes the stand point of an everyday rider not a racer. i can tell you that if you dont have a chit eating grin after a spin opn the yfz as compared to the z400...you have an issue:devil:

k2-dawg
02-04-2004, 08:08 AM
I must admit...... I agree with Pappy.

March issue of Dirt Wheels has an interesting comparison of the yfz, trx450r, and the gas gas. The yfz beats all these quads, so why wouldn't it smoke the z??? IT WOULD!!! That's why.

I think I'm leaning towards the yzf myself. bye bye honda.

cracer250
02-04-2004, 08:08 AM
LOL!! I agree. I can't see them being too equal in competition.

Pappy
02-04-2004, 08:10 AM
the yfz isnt the PERFECT quad but its damn good. i have nothing bad to say thus far.

cdalejef
02-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Only think I can think of on the YFZ that needs some attention is the shocks.

crayfz
02-04-2004, 08:40 AM
I can live with the shocks, not the a-arms, hit a rock square and they bend.

Motoman440
02-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I was 100% going to buy the new Honda but after further reading and talking with some local dealers I will be the owner of a new 04 YFZ. K2 mentioned the Dirt Wheels article and it does make you step back and think. As for the YFZ suspension, Jeff you should be able to take care of that with a new set of Elka's. What sold me was all the Pro riders, excluding Jeff, seem to riding the YFZ. Does that mean something??? C-Dales are in a class by themselves and I would own one if I could work on it!!!

Taco
02-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Motoman440
I was 100% going to buy the new Honda but after further reading and talking with some local dealers I will be the owner of a new 04 YFZ. K2 mentioned the Dirt Wheels article and it does make you step back and think. As for the YFZ suspension, Jeff you should be able to take care of that with a new set of Elka's. What sold me was all the Pro riders, excluding Jeff, seem to riding the YFZ. Does that mean something??? C-Dales are in a class by themselves and I would own one if I could work on it!!! I'm sorry but your going to have to find some new riding buddies:mad:

Motoman440
02-04-2004, 09:10 AM
I ride the R when when your coming!!! How's that!!!:D

Taco
02-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I ride the R when when your coming!!! How's that!!!:D Thats a big negative. You and that looser buddy Todd going to run any GNCC's this yr???:cool:

k2-dawg
02-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Taco
Thats a big negative. You and that looser buddy Todd going to run any GNCC's this yr???:cool:

Yeah I will make my debut this year.

I still don't have my POS back together yet. Besides, I didn't want to drive 30 hours to ride 2.

By the way Taco, you're giving me a complex, cuz that last few times we were supposed to ride, you didn't show up.

Motoman440
02-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Yeah, but they have to be close. New kid is going to be hear on March 3rd so this summer is gonna be a tough one!!! Like to do Sparta, Wisp, Summersville and any other ones you go to that aren't 1,000 miles away.

Taco
02-04-2004, 09:29 AM
I hear ya all there. I'm going to try and do quite a few this year but that all depends on $$$$$$$$

400red
02-04-2004, 04:17 PM
maybe this is a really stupid question but what is the big deal about the new 450's? i havent rode them and personally i dont care to own one. $6500 is alot of cash for a quad that i'm just gonna beat the crap out of. if i was gonna buy a new quad it would probly be the Z400 or the KFX. based on the fact that its cheaper, elec. start, i could care less about reverse. i have yet to get bored with my 400ex yet. i'm no racer...but i think i'm a pretty good rider. power doesnt make you fast, skill does that.

02-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 400red
maybe this is a really stupid question but what is the big deal about the new 450's? i havent rode them and personally i dont care to own one. $6500 is alot of cash for a quad that i'm just gonna beat the crap out of. if i was gonna buy a new quad it would probly be the Z400 or the KFX. based on the fact that its cheaper, elec. start, i could care less about reverse. i have yet to get bored with my 400ex yet. i'm no racer...but i think i'm a pretty good rider. power doesnt make you fast, skill does that.

well if you are a serious racer you want the best to win. and the 450s are as of now, the best.

Motoman440
02-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 400red

You gotta ride something with more power before the bug hits you. I had a C-Dale moto that was "smokin power" and now I just can't go back to a 400. But your right, it is alot of cash and if your trail riding and like your bike then you have made the right decision. I have a buddy that has a very nice 400EX that he is 100% satisfied with. However, he has never ridden anything with more power. :D

Pappy
02-04-2004, 05:35 PM
i can honestly say the yfz handles as good stock as anything ive ever been on:eek2: the factories have really stepped it up this time boyz:macho brand doesnt matter as much as it used too and you will not get IT until you get some seat time on the yfz or the trx450r!!!

the yfz does have a serious rear shock/linkage issue. ELKA WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!:confused:

freakystone
02-04-2004, 05:42 PM
I see you have both 450's Pappy. What are the pro's and con's of each when compared to each other?

Thanks.

400red
02-04-2004, 05:42 PM
i've owned the blaster and the banshee, and i have no deisre to go back to kicking. if your racing then you should be buying the new 450's. no doubt, i would too. but i hear this crap every yr. with the raptor... Z400. and these same guyz arent any faster, nor can they jump any farther, or wheelie any further than i can. in fact the 400 is alot easier to wheelie than the raptor. i guess what i'm getting at is i see guyz go out and buy the newest thing out there cause they think its gonna turn them into the fastest guy around, and thats just not the way it works. as far as i'm concerned the 400 pulls up in 5th gear with ease, highchairs in 3rd, thats all the power i need. it would take alot of convincing for me to trade the 400 in on a 450. i'd like to ride one just to see how it is, but thats about it. i know what your talking about with the difference in power, but you get used to power, and then its not such a big deal anymore. hell i still like hopping on 300's and 250's just to wheelie something different. if your a racer i agree you should be buying the new 450's no doubt i would buy one if i was competing.

Tommy 17
02-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

the yfz does have a serious rear shock/linkage issue. ELKA WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!:confused:

explain???? j.w. bc they says its based on the yz linkage... and if its supposed to be exactly like the cr500 link on a 250r... whats wrong with it???? j.w. there pappy

Pappy
02-04-2004, 05:47 PM
according to a well known ..actually 2 well know suspension nutz, the yfz will kick out on certain terrain. (high speed kickers, rain ruts etc)

this has caused 2 bad accidents that i am familiar with. one happened to suspension nut #1, the other nut was behind the crash victim and saw the rear kick or swap like a big dog. both nuts have told me the exact same story on each of thier expierences and i know they didnt discuss this issue before talking with me.

as near as the one can tell it is related to the linkage. i was advised by both to wait and see what the fix will be.

Motoman440
02-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
as near as the one can tell it is related to the linkage. i was advised by both to wait and see what the fix will be.

Houser has a YFZ Long Travel Rear Linkage for $350.00. They say it can be used with the stock shock etc. but to get the full travel you have to use a longer stroke shock. However, it adds 12 inches of travel. Could this be a fix or am I in the wrong ballpark???

Juggalo
02-04-2004, 07:26 PM
my friend josh had a z-400. he sold it and got a yfz. we both agree the yami is lightyears ahead of the Z. theres no comparing them even. atvconnection has turned into a big online dirtwheels as far as their quad and products reviews go.

Pappy
02-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Houser has a YFZ Long Travel Rear Linkage for $350.00. They say it can be used with the stock shock etc. but to get the full travel you have to use a longer stroke shock. However, it adds 12 inches of travel. Could this be a fix or am I in the wrong ballpark???

its very possible. im not any kind of shock expert but i will add that to my conversation with shock nut#2 on thursday:p

the bad part is the average rider may never expierence the issue with the rear shock. but from what the one told me, he was 5th gear tapped and hit a small kicker bump. his roll R would have sucked it up...but his yfz swaped ends and over he went:( unfortunatley this is exactly what happened to the other injured rider as witnessed from behind by nut#1:p so i tend to believe them ...and niether had a real good idea of why its occuring.

as far as the atv connection article....i think they compared them for teh average rider on normal trails. i didnt get the idea they were saying the z400 is equal to the new yammy.

and dont worry....i call them like i see them:cool: