PDA

View Full Version : getting the timing right?

stuntnda400
02-03-2004, 06:14 PM
a buddy of mine pulled the head off of my 400 ex but he didnt mark the cam or anything for the timing...how can i be sure that when i put it back together that the timing is set right? thanks in advance.

02-03-2004, 06:20 PM
if i'm correct there is a marking somewhere. someone else knows where its at.

hondatv
02-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Bring the timing mark to TDC. Install the cam with the lobes facing down. On the cam sprocket there are two marks, they go parallel to the head surface. Install bolts and cam chain adjuster.

mustang93
02-03-2004, 07:15 PM
heres a link to a free service manual
http://www.atvnc.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=3170

stuntnda400
02-03-2004, 08:53 PM
thanks alot guys that was the last thing stopping me from putting the motor together...hopefully i should be riding it tomorrow if i can find replacement swingarm bearings in stock...thanks again

F-16Guy
02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by hondatv
Bring the timing mark to TDC. Install the cam with the lobes facing down. On the cam sprocket there are two marks, they go parallel to the head surface. Install bolts and cam chain adjuster.
Just to add a couple things: There is more than one mark on the flywheel; make sure you line up the mark by the "T". Also, there are three index marks on the cam gear. They should face outward when the gear is installed on the cam properly. The two opposing marks should be parallel with the surface of the head, and the other one should face up. Good luck:cool: