PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Size Recommendations

Flat Broke
02-03-2004, 06:08 PM
On a basically stock 400 (just slip, air filter, and no lid) What would be a good diameter of paddle to run? I'm on the bigger side at 250, so opting for a smaller unit for a little more torque might not be a bad idea.

Would I go with something the same diameter as the stock unit and drop down to a 14" primary, or leave the primary as it is, and go a little shorter on the tire?

Next, what would be a good paddle size to stat with on my fiance's bone stock 250EX?

I'm headin to Glamis for Presidents day, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

oldsandman
02-03-2004, 07:25 PM
I run 20-11- 8 sand skateII's on my wife and daughters 400's. Any of the 8 paddle tires in that size will be fine. I also dropped a tooth up front.

Don't have a 250ex but a friend's wife runs STU mini desert tracks not sure what size though. Be careful with the 250 it is really easy to over paddle them. Sometimes the stock knobbies will actually work better.

NORCAL400
02-03-2004, 07:42 PM
I have a set of 22x10-9 paddles and they seem a little big, it hooks-up well but i want to get goin as fast as possible, so i am goin with some 18x9-8 Geckos, that will bring the RPMs up with the smaller tire, also i am goin to drop to a smaller tooth up front as well. The smaller the tire, the higher the RPM which all equals more speed and higher torque that we all need in the sand.

Chef
02-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Go with a 20" 8 paddle of some kind. I'm not a fan of any of the Gecko's I have ridden, on numerous bikes. Skat-Trak Edge or Haulers are what I like the best, and all that I will run. They are the lightest of the paddles, too, which will get them to spin easier. A smaller tire isn't always good, because you will learn that you need the extra ground clearance in some situations.

HondaMan222
02-03-2004, 10:51 PM
i have 20x10x10 extermes, the only reson i went with the 10' rims is so i could run the c-series. if you don't want fancy rims, go with the 20x10x8 haulers, unless they make a exterme in that size. they hook up really good. i would never buy anything but skats. and i have about 7 rides on the extermes and the nipples are barly waring.!!

Flat Broke
02-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the input on the sizing. Looks like 20s it will be. I hear you on bogging down the 250ex. I'm kind of torn on what to do with that bike, because she still hasn't learned proper gear selection, but is atleast eroring on the side of being a gear too low for climbs. So she's dug herself ina couple of times. I was thinking that with that trend, the paddles might get her over the hump.

Chris

PHIL_B54
02-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by NORCAL400
I have a set of 22x10-9 paddles and they seem a little big, it hooks-up well but i want to get goin as fast as possible, so i am goin with some 18x9-8 Geckos, that will bring the RPMs up with the smaller tire, also i am goin to drop to a smaller tooth up front as well. The smaller the tire, the higher the RPM which all equals more speed and higher torque that we all need in the sand.

i could do nothing with my 21" geckos with the 14 sprocket...all wheel spin. i went back to stock, and i think that a 16 would work even better. i dont think you would be going anywhere with 18" and a 14. my $.02, but i guess its a personal pref.

Dune Surfer
02-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Flat Broke
Thanks for the input on the sizing. Looks like 20s it will be. I hear you on bogging down the 250ex. I'm kind of torn on what to do with that bike, because she still hasn't learned proper gear selection, but is atleast eroring on the side of being a gear too low for climbs. So she's dug herself ina couple of times. I was thinking that with that trend, the paddles might get her over the hump.

Chris

You might try letting her ride with knobbies with no more than 3lbs of air pressure. I have friends with 300ex's and that works ok for them at glamis. I woud go down a tooth on both quads. It will really help a lot. Another way would be to get her paddles with less paddles. Sand sharks are cheap and seem to work well on stock quads. If you are new to glamis try to hook up with someone that knows it. It is a big area and you can get lost or into bigger stuf than you want with a novice sand rider.
good luck

Flat Broke
02-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Dune Surfer,

Thanks for the heads up on Glamis, we're going out with a big group of regulars so we'll have good guidance. I spent my entire childhood ridding ATCs, an 86 R, and an 89R at Pismo, so I'm comfy with sand and looking forward to bigger terain. I keep a close eye on her and just go on "guys" rides when I want to do some actual riding ;)

On the note of keeping with the knobbies, do you think the Dunlops off my 400 would work a little bit better than the ohtsu's on the 250? I think the overal diameter is a little lower and the tire might work out a little better in an aired down situation because of the rigid sidewall.

Haven't got full buyin from the group on where we'll be stayin on President's day, but its looking like Geko/Roadrunner. There is a remote chance we'll be over in BFE off wash 22, but I'm pushin for the Geko/Roadrunner area.

Thanks for the input,
Chris

Quadaholic
02-05-2004, 11:49 PM
The stock 400ex tires are not bad in the sand... throw those on the 250ex. See how she likes that. Otherwise a 20" v-paddle will work alright. Stay with the cheaper paddles as they have smaller paddles. For the 400, I've ran the Geckos and now have the Sand stars. The Geckos seemed to hook up better in a straight line though not like a Hauler. The sand stars seem to be a good compromise of slide and straight line hook up.