PDA

View Full Version : 14t front sprocket and stock chain???

cbrown400ex
02-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Will the stock chain work if I go down a tooth on the front? I think my chain is pretty much wore out so I just need to know what size to order. Stock or ??? I rode in a harescramble this weekend and noticed I was using first some, a lot of second, some third , and a little forth. It would be nice if I could use just 2,3&4. 2 gear was just to high for some situations. Thanks CJ

400exdad
02-26-2002, 12:01 PM
I've got a 14T on mine and it fits fine. However, my chain is not worn very much, but I do believe I have some adjustment left though. I changed mine to a 14 tooth as soon as I got it. I had just gotten over a leg injury and felt I wanted to go a little slower (in technical stuff) and didn't want to feather the clutch like you do with the 15T when taking off. On my 300, you can pretty much just let out on the clutch. Anyway, the 14T is really going to leave you short on the fire roads as you'll be in 5th real quick. I'm thinking about switching back.:huh

02-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Yeah, you can put on a 14t front sprocket on your stock setup... it was one of the first things I did when I got my 400ex too. I race Hare Scrambles and find the 14t helps me alot. Good luck racing! If you have a stock chain, look at it closely for any breaks in the rollers, etc. If you know the chain is worn or see brakes in it, I recommend getting an aftermarket chain..... you don't want to race and not finish due to a broken chain!

Note: I found that when you go to an aftermarket hub carrier (at least one with tappered bearings) and using a 14t front sprocket, the stock length chain is too long.

Braff1
02-26-2002, 04:03 PM
This will be the best 7.00$ investment you make on your 400 EX. The increase in bottom end is wonderful and you are only losing 3-4 mph on top end. To me and my riding (hills and wooded trails) it was a good investment.

400exdad
02-26-2002, 05:17 PM
Where'd you find one for $7.00? I paid like 20$ for mine. I guess I got ripped. It was a Sunstar though.

Braff1
02-27-2002, 06:07 AM
I got the sprocket from Rocky Mountain . It is a Primary Drive sprocket part number 36214.

I have not had any problems with the sprocket.

Scott
02-27-2002, 06:22 AM
If you're going to be replacing both sprockets and the chain, I can save you some time. I just did this last week and was looking at the ones from RMATV. For what I would have paid for the "primary drive" sprockets and an RK O-ring chain from RMATV, I ordered a package deal from Magic Racing. You still get to choose what f/r sprocket gearing you want. I got their middle priced package, the "Racer's Package", which was JT sprockets and an EK O-ring chain, at my door the next day for $83 including standard shipping. That was even less than Marcum's quoted me. If you don't want the O-ring chain it's even cheaper.

They also sent 10 Magic Racing stickers with the parts. Hey that's good for what, another 5 hp?!?!:D

That was the best deal I could find. Give them a call and check it out, you might be able to save a couple bucks.

cbrown400ex
02-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the help. I will order from Magic. Been wanting to try out their service anyway. they have some good prices on stuff. CJ