PDA

View Full Version : rod bearings on a 400ex

stuntnda400
02-03-2004, 04:08 PM
is there any way to replace the rod bearings on a 400 ex or do i have to get a whole new crank. i thought i saw an ad for a hot rod kit for it but does that come with a new crank or is there a way to seperate the two?(crank and rod) thanks alot

F-16Guy
02-03-2004, 05:18 PM
It can be done. The top of the rod is actually a bushing, but the bottom is a needle bearing. It requires a good bit of mechanical ability, engine-specific experience, and special equipment, so it should be done by a pro if you want it done right.

416mx
02-03-2004, 05:28 PM
I just had a Wiesco hot rod put on my 400 crank, they have to remove the bearing and gear to replace the rod, if your in there go ahead with new bearings, $35.34 ea at service honda.
The bearings you can replace yourself after the gear side is pressed off. The rod leave to the pros.:cool:

stuntnda400
02-03-2004, 06:12 PM
yea i think im gonna let someone else mess with it cuz it seems like a headache waiting to happen...thanks

AtvMxRider
02-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by stuntnda400
yea i think im gonna let someone else mess with it cuz it seems like a headache waiting to happen...thanks

Good idea. It's not something the average person can do.

F-16Guy
02-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Good idea. It's not something the average person can do.
Yeah, if you get the runout on the crank anything more than a couple thousandths when you press it back together, you'll have the world's most expensive vibrator.:blah: If you're going to have a new rod installed, pay the extra $50 and get a Carrillo. I got mine direct from Carrillo for $175. You will NOT break that rod, I don't care what kind of compression you run.