PDA

View Full Version : Another Arm Pump Q

stamperbob
02-03-2004, 01:59 PM
I know this question pops up time after time and i was just asking everyones input on this, I know there are many ways to try to get rid of arm pump such as aspirin, drinking alot of water, riding alot, but I have been riding pretty much this winter and always drink alot of water, and have never had really bad arm pump, but this past weekend at rd 1 in Tx I had arm pump so bad i couldnt hold on to the bars, is there anything that I can do to help keep me calm before the start of a race, I think that is what gets me is i get all anxious while getting ready to start and it hurts me when i hit the track, I tried to drink out of my camel back and try to get it to go away but it never did, and it really hurt my finish and lap times. Considering I had to Pull off serveral times do to the fact that i couldnt hold on to the bars.

intruder
02-03-2004, 02:27 PM
my son said the same thing and it hurt his finish also. who's got the answer?

trx400ex
02-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Well if its your first race in a few weeks/months then that is to be expected...just keep working out eating healthy riding and drink water before the race and it will get better

justdirt
02-03-2004, 07:06 PM
i know it sounds funny but make sure that you are breathing correctly. sometimes when racing you get so caught up with what is going on in the race and you tend to hold your breath which increases arm pump. also whenever you have a chance to relax a little bit and not grip the bars so tight remind yourself to do that. i race gncc's and do both of these and never get arm pump, maybe they'll help, maybe not.

02-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Tell yourself the entire race to breath thru your nose and to let the grips move in your hands enough that your still holding on but your not grabbing the bars with a death grip. I still get arm pump a little also but it's not near as bad as in years past. Even after not riding for 2 months I never got to the point were I couldnt' hold on..

Tell me how to not get flats and I might actually win a race...:o

cdalejef
02-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Rico

Tell me how to not get flats and I might actually win a race...:o Don't hit any rocks!

gizmocor
02-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Confidence, you need to break yourself of the nerves. The champions in any sport are there because they stay composed when things get tough, and that composure will actually help you relax and make better decisions. You need to find a way to keep yourself from getting worked up but still keep the desire to do well. There is no magic formula.........I have noticed that if you concentrate on rolling the throttle on smoothly instead of stabbing it, it greatly reduces fatigue. (Going faster smoother!!)

Greg Z
02-03-2004, 09:59 PM

Tell me how to not get flats and I might actually win a race...:o

TIRE BALLS!!
or put sand in ur tires :)

racerx573
02-03-2004, 10:32 PM
This may contain some helpful hints
http://www.motocrosstrainer.com/

Braff1
02-03-2004, 10:59 PM
First of all the more you race the more resistance you build to arm pump. Try taking a friend to the starting line with you shoot the breeze before the race. Your prerace anxiety produces a stress response causing vasoconstriction, increased respiratory and heart rate. These make arm pump come on sooner. Everyone get a little jittery on the starting line but teh more you race the less stressful it becomes. Soon you will feel more comfortable waiting to start.

When riding try to remember you don't have to choke the grips, try to relax your hands from time to time.

popo
02-04-2004, 02:42 AM
I think everyone has given you some great input on fighting arm-pump.

To aid with my arm-pump problems in 2003, Jeff Stoess had introduced me to using Spider Grips vs. Oury's. While Oury does make a nice grip, they tend to let your hands slip allot in wet or muddy conditions, to whereas; Spider Grips allow the cushion and a great contact patch aiding in keeping your hands in place.

Other things I found to help, were the breathing and relaxing, looking ahead rather than down at the ground.

Rather than eating a bunch of Banana's which your body tends to break down almost 50% of the potassium prior to getting to your blood stream, I started to take potassium pills, about 3 prior to a race along with aspirin and with proper amounts of hydration.

Some will also say use Ben gay, icy hot etc. Any heat source will inflame the muscle, therefore adding more pump to the forearm area. Heat heals soreness.

I use a product called Bio-Freeze and has aided immensely with my arm pump problems.

stamperbob
02-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Great Info Everyone Hopefully I can take all this info and it will help out my overall finishes, I will do anything and everything to get rid of this and hopefully Ill inprove on laptimes, if anyone else has any ideas please post

thanks
Bob

Rico I think Jeff and Greg Z have you covered on the Tire thing sorry I couldnt help on that

markwaldo262000
02-04-2004, 06:56 AM
:D stamperbob,I have a little advise for the arm pump.I am a second year rider and I get arm pump so bad sometimes that I cant even turn my gas throttle.My people that I go racing with tell me to eat lots of bananas a couple of days before a race and I Tell you that is just part of the problem.Being nervous is quite the problem also.When I was in texas,I think that this race was the first gncc that I didnt get arm pump because I just wanted to have fun that day so that was all that I kept thinking to keep my mind off of getting arm pump and I Think that it really worked for the first time.Think about just havin fun for once and see how it works for you cause I know it worked for me!

seatec
02-04-2004, 07:14 AM
QUestion about the spiders being better than the Oury's.
I am a big guy and have big hands. ( i know ladies. the myth is true :D ) SO i have a problem when i wrap my hands around the handle bar that i am actually squeezing down on my finger tips with the palm of my hands. SO what i need is some large diameter grips. I thought the oury's where the biggest. AM i wrong?

I had arm pump something fierce even when i wsnt nervous before a race. I had it when i was just having a ball. I attributed it to usng my arms to much to keep my me positioned on the bike to much. I started using my legs more and better body position (english) and voila. Armp pump was virtually gone. Jst make sure your body and legs are doing the positioning and not your arms.

for what ist worth!

02-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by seatec
QUestion about the spiders being better than the Oury's.
I am a big guy and have big hands. ( i know ladies. the myth is true :D ) SO i have a problem when i wrap my hands around the handle bar that i am actually squeezing down on my finger tips with the palm of my hands. SO what i need is some large diameter grips. I thought the oury's where the biggest. AM i wrong?

Spider grips offers a thin and a thick grip. Sounds like the thicker grip is what you need.

markk
02-04-2004, 07:44 AM
i also had arm pump, at Tx, and i have never had it before!
I just didnt know if it was becuae i didnt take any asprin before a i raced, of if it is the new motor work i got done, or the track!
All i know is that it was soo hard to go fast, and when i cam up to a hill i was having problems with keeping my thumb on the throttel!! im gona try some of these things and see how it goes thanks guys!

missatvandb
02-04-2004, 08:14 AM
I know this one isnt really medical, but eat lots of bananas. They help with your muscles. My friend who races does this and it helps. Two or Three a couple hours before you race should help. Try that along with everyone elses advice.

cheetah
02-04-2004, 04:58 PM
I started to get a little arm pump, but luckily I wore two blisters on my hand and busted them so that kept my mind off the pump.:o

Now someone tell me how to keep from blisters next race. And Rico I already have your magical spider grips so let's hear somethin else.:blah:

cletusEX
02-04-2004, 06:41 PM
The biggest thing that helped me was breathing. I had a tendency to start concentrating too hard on the track and forgetting to breath. Now I always keep in mind to breath and relax, it is amazing how much it helps with arm pump and endurance.

popo
02-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
I started to get a little arm pump, but luckily I wore two blisters on my hand and busted them so that kept my mind off the pump.:o

Now someone tell me how to keep from blisters next race. And Rico I already have your magical spider grips so let's hear somethin else.:blah:

Moose Racing sells a yellow glove, called a blister ris sister. Works great. Just make sure you go down a size on them, to assure they fit tight.

Stick you hand in some acetone, that will heal them blister's up real fast.:eek2:

seatec
02-05-2004, 05:42 AM
Stick you hand in some acetone, that will heal them blister's up real fast

Popo, you are a sick and sadistic man. I like it!:D

stamperbob
02-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Ok heres what i have, Definatly get some Spider Grips, and rub some bio freeze on your forarms before a race, Ride as much as possible(Hard to do when its snowing and raining all the time) also take some Aspirin before your race or potassium pills, Can i take both or just one???? i would say both hehe, umm important drink as much water as possible at all times not just before races, and eat plenty of bannanas, Im not really worried about the blisters so don't have to resort to popo's remedy for that anything else that someone has to throw in please let me know

Thanks Bob

cdalejef
02-05-2004, 01:47 PM
RELAX!!!!! ;)

WOOLIN
02-05-2004, 01:58 PM
if you ride more blisters turn to calises <SP then you don't have to worry about blisters How do you spell kalices any way?

cdalejef
02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by WOOLIN
if you ride more blisters turn to calises <SP then you don't have to worry about blisters How do you spell kalices any way? You get those from pulling wire! :p

02-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Calluses is my guess but like I said just a guess!

stamperbob
02-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
You get those from pulling wire! :p

Ill second that one

WOOLIN
02-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
You get those from pulling wire! :p
People who work for a living get them. You can't get'em pushing a pencil or typing.

02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
People who work for a living get them. You can't get'em pushing a pencil or typing.

I'm gonna get one on my foot from kikkin yer *** so much with comments like that buddy....:mad:

Actually calisis give me blisters. I cut the stupid things off.

seatec
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM

Just because you wherent smart enough or where not so inclined like some are, to get a desk job does not mean that i dont do real work!

stamperbob
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm gonna get one on my foot from kikkin yer *** so much with comments like that buddy....:mad:

Actually calisis give me blisters. I cut the stupid things off.

now now guys lets play nice

WOOLIN
02-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by seatec
Just because you wherent smart enough or where not so inclined like some are, to get a desk job does not mean that i dont do real work!
I have a desk job too. I just don't spend much time there!

02-05-2004, 02:36 PM
i will trade somone my desk job for a labor job!!!!

Stock 400 rider
02-05-2004, 02:45 PM
What about those Arm Pump Sprays?

Has anyone tryed?

seatec
02-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider

Has anyone tryed?

How dare you bring this thread back to its intended subject.:D

02-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider

Has anyone tryed?

Grandpa has some moon shine that will work just as good as that stuff for half the price. Don't waste your money..:o

WOOLIN
02-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Grandpa has some moon shine that will work just as good as that stuff for half the price. Don't waste your money..:o
How much beer does it take to properly thin your blood to get rid of arm pump?:devil:

cdalejef
02-05-2004, 03:16 PM
How much beer does it take to properly thin your blood to get rid of arm pump?:devil: Rico?

monkeyboy
02-05-2004, 03:17 PM
maay b u babees shuud werk outts morr:rolleyes:

i do lottsa push upp :muscle:

fastexgirl4c
02-05-2004, 03:25 PM
i got bad arm pump once from my 250R ...but i figured out if i tilted the throttle up and i put the handle bars back a lil...i never got arm pump again....i also use these lil arm excerisers...they work pretty good..they r like 3$ at sporting stores

seatec
02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
yeah i started using the hand excerciser too during my commute. somebody on this board gave me this idea. works great! im gonna look like Popey before long:D

NTPRacing#19
02-05-2004, 06:15 PM
heres what some of the real serious pros do in dirtbike racing. they have a surgery that removes a layer or "wrap" around there forearm muscle that restricts the flow of lactic acid. with that "wrap" gone around the forearm muscle they didnt have a lactic acid build up which causes forearm pump and causes your forearms to become as hard as a rock!

but drink plenty of water and take some medication that thins out your blood and mainly, RIDE ALOT! that will do the trick too

cheetah
02-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
heres what some of the real serious pros do in dirtbike racing. they have a surgery that removes a layer or "wrap" around there forearm muscle that restricts the flow of lactic acid. with that "wrap" gone around the forearm muscle they didnt have a lactic acid build up which causes forearm pump and causes your forearms to become as hard as a rock!

but drink plenty of water and take some medication that thins out your blood and mainly, RIDE ALOT! that will do the trick too

Sounds like wussy pro dirtbike riders.:confused:

popo
02-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
maay b u babees shuud werk outts morr:rolleyes:

i do lottsa push upp :muscle:

Spanking your monkey, is not considered push ups.

remlapr
02-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by popo

I use a product called Bio-Freeze and has aided immensely with my arm pump problems.

Hey Popo what is this stuff?

AtvMxRider
02-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by popo
Spanking your monkey, is not considered push ups.

Depends on if you are laying on your stomach.........:devil:

cheetah
02-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Depends on if you are laying on your stomach.........:devil:

rotflmao:p

popo
02-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Hey Popo what is this stuff?

Here.

http://www.biofreeze.com/

TheMachine
02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm assuming you can't buy this at walmart or anywhere else but online.

eganracing
02-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Im sponsored by a company called pump-X that designs a pill that gets rid of arm pump. i use it mainly when i havent been riding in awhile. the stuff works great an its some what afordable for what u get:macho

TheMachine
02-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm sponsored by them also but have yet to order it. I got sponsored by them a few months ago but wasn't racing at the time so I didn't order any. Now I have a race this weekend and it's to late to order it. Does it work very well?

eganracing
02-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by TheMachine
I'm sponsored by them also but have yet to order it. I got sponsored by them a few months ago but wasn't racing at the time so I didn't order any. Now I have a race this weekend and it's to late to order it. Does it work very well?

thats funny. i was in your same postion but then i raced and i lost because of horrible arm pump. i havent raced with it yet but i rode all day at a riding park and i rode hard. i have a race this weekend and i will let u know how it goes.

KILLSWITCHngage
02-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
First of all the more you race the more resistance you build to arm pump. Try taking a friend to the starting line with you shoot the breeze before the race. Your prerace anxiety produces a stress response causing vasoconstriction, increased respiratory and heart rate. These make arm pump come on sooner. Everyone get a little jittery on the starting line but teh more you race the less stressful it becomes. Soon you will feel more comfortable waiting to start.

When riding try to remember you don't have to choke the grips, try to relax your hands from time to time.
I sure miss that jittery, adrenaline rush feeling on the starting line. Ya race so many races and it goes away. I run and ride alot and lift 12oz cold ones for conditioning. :devil:

mike nash
02-09-2006, 06:40 AM
My first race last year I dindn't get arm pump because I kept telling myself to ease up my grip. Which was pretty difficult with both grips spinning half way through the race.

#8red
02-09-2006, 11:50 AM
I've always used the 2 jaggerbomb thery 1/2 hr. before the race - works everytime -

prepracing
02-11-2006, 12:01 AM
How much beer does it take to properly thin your blood to get rid of arm pump?:devil:

Just run beer in your camelpack and drink it whenever u feel the need. HAHA.....No kidding I was at a local race one time and watched a guy put ice, then water, then vodka in his camelpack :huh . He looked over at me and my buds and said it does wonders for armpumps........But not something I would reccomend. Good hydration, try to relax, sometimes I see people with their little handsqueezers before the race or gyro balls ( they work pretty well ). I've seen people doing pushups, theres even a picture somewhere in the GNCC pics showing Yokely running his arms thru some type of little roller type device trying to relax them.

IOWAracer
02-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Well for my workout on my arms besides dumbells and curls i amde a good wooden dowl bout a 1.5 in diameter and i tied a 4 foot string in the middle to it on the other end i tied a 5 lbs weight roll taht up and down and that helps a lot

chaz#32
02-11-2006, 05:30 PM
i just ride alot and do forarm workouts and it works for me.

mole97
02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
SEEN A SHOW ON T.V ABOUT THESE STUNT RIDERS WHO WOULD GO TO THE GYM AND GET ON THE PULL-UP BAR AND HANG FOR AS LONG AS THEY COULD AND DO THIS FOR 3 TO 4 SETS AND ACCORDONG TO THEM IT HELPED RESRICT THERE ARM PUMP. NEEDLESS TO SAY I'M TRYING IT MYSELF NOW,BUT HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE WEATHER TO BREAK TO SEE IF IT WORKS?:chinese:

trost66
02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
I have the best job in the world for arm pump. I own a tree service. Climbing around in trees with a rope and hanging on to a chainsaw does wonders for arm pump.