PDA

View Full Version : Need help with PEP shocks

sleestack68
02-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I have a pair of PEP ZPS for the front and back. They are used so I want to freshen them up and mount them.

Here are my questions:

1. Who sells the little rubber thingies that go between the frame and the rezzies. I know I could get the hose clamps at the autopart.

2. If I mount the rezzies up front like I've seen it done before, doesn't it block the airflow to the radiator (250R). If so what is another good place to mount them?

3. The front springs have a few places where the powder coating is comming off, is it possible for me to take the shock springs off, strip them and repaint or would I need special equipment to take them apart.

Thanks

AndrewRRR
02-03-2004, 01:06 PM
1. Not sure about rubber thingies. I just mounted mine to the frame, the PC is holding up ok. I think UPP and other companies make trick holders if you wanna spend money.
2. I didn't notice any difference in cooling on my R. I think they are smooth enough to allow air to flow around them.
3. I think you just need a spring compressor to take them off. I wouldn't recommend "painting" them, it'll flake off the first time the spring compresses. You'll want to get them PC'ed.

INFANTRY RACING
02-03-2004, 02:34 PM
pep sends a 3/4" radiator hose thats cut in half as the rubber cushion for the rezzys. you can get that at any auto store

02-03-2004, 02:39 PM
justwondering...do you have a price for the pep plastic piece? are they expensive?

sleestack68
02-03-2004, 03:08 PM
I was thinking about using a bike inner tube but I think radiator hose would be better. Thanks. Does anyone know what size hoseclamp I need to use?

Some kinds of paint are somewhat flexable, I wanted to try and paint them just so they rust because I am going keep them covered.

lil400exman
02-03-2004, 06:47 PM
to mount my rezies i went gun-ho on it. i took 2-3 layers of electrical tape around where the hose clamps touch the frame then i took some dense black foam i got from the hardware store and cut 1 square edge for the frame and the other round for the rezzies and tightened them down nice in tight. they dont rattle look pretty good and would survive just about ANYTHING i could throw at em. i mounted them right behind my radiator on the frame rails going down there. I took a extra peice of rubber hose thats black and near the same size of the rezzy line and where it touches the radiator top and hose rubs then zip-tied the hose to the rezze hose line. i love my PEP'S!:devil:

Dave400ex
02-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Might be worth the extra money to just get some of the ATV Fourplay Rezzy clamps! Make taking them off in the future easy too.

sleestack68
02-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Who sells them and how much coin?

Dave400ex
02-03-2004, 08:29 PM
I think they are $39.95 a piece. Give them a call and say your an EXriders member and you will get a deal!

K_Fulk
02-03-2004, 09:43 PM
You dont need a spring compressor to take off your front springs.

1. take all the preload off the shock, Put the snap ring all the way to the top.

2. There is a aluminum piece that holds the spring up pull it away from the shaft where the groove is.

3. Pull the springs off from the bottom and remember how every thing came off.

sleestack68
02-03-2004, 09:56 PM
K_Fulk this is good information, one question though, did you mean:

Put the snap ring all the way to the top

or did you mean

Pull the snap ring all the way to the top?

K_Fulk
02-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Just move it up enough so you can move the springs up and down. Thats all you really need.

JOEX
02-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Hose clamp size.....

#36 worked for me, not much excess haning off, about 1/4 inch beyond the screw head.

Joe

AndrewRRR
02-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Hose clamp size.....

#36 worked for me, not much excess haning off, about 1/4 inch beyond the screw head.

Joe

Same here with the rezzys on my R. Crank em down but not too hard, I actually broke one off (during riding, not while tightening).

P.S.-An hour or so with sandpaper and hollywoods can have people saying "wow, shiny cans man!"