PDA

View Full Version : Hill Climbing

bran_276
02-03-2004, 12:37 PM
I know much talk has gone on comparing the trx450 to the yfz450, but I haven't seen an answer to my question....so here goes.

Which bike is better for hill climbing? I know the yfz has a wider wheelbase and it sits closer to the ground....does that make it the winner in stability when climbing hills? In other words, which one are you least likely to flip backwards on when hill climbing?

Also, I'm not a small guy (6'2" 210lbs). Which one has the better suspension for jumping? I read in dirt wheels that they couldn't bottom out the suspension on the trx when they reviewed it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ATC83
02-03-2004, 01:17 PM
I haven't rode the TRX450 yet but judging from the specs and ride reports I believe the Yamaha would be the better hill climbing quad with its lower center of gravity, heavier front end and more powerful engine.

r450rr
02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
spec on paper.. mean nothing just remember that...

dannyboy20
02-03-2004, 01:34 PM
just ask ATC83 about the 450R he seems to love it sooo much.

lukester720
02-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by bran_276
I know much talk has gone on comparing the trx450 to the yfz450, but I haven't seen an answer to my question....so here goes.

Which bike is better for hill climbing? I know the yfz has a wider wheelbase and it sits closer to the ground....does that make it the winner in stability when climbing hills? In other words, which one are you least likely to flip backwards on when hill climbing?

Also, I'm not a small guy (6'2" 210lbs). Which one has the better suspension for jumping? I read in dirt wheels that they couldn't bottom out the suspension on the trx when they reviewed it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I get my R 1st thing in the morning. I am 6'6" 270 pounds I will try to test it out some tommorow before I go to work and give you some results.

bran_276
02-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks Luke.

exrider44
02-03-2004, 03:21 PM
I dont know about hill climbing I havent had the chance to do so yet. But the bike rides great! Im very satisified. I thought they said a taller rider is more comfortable on the R then on the yfz? Not sure though but I remember reading that somewhere. :devil:

lukester720
02-04-2004, 10:44 PM
bran_276 I rode my R today and it pulled the hills better than my 400ex did probably because of the additional power. The light front end was not a problem! Although I didn't hit any jumps today I can honestly say this is the best handling stock quad I've ridden for a guy my size! But the choice is yours the yfz is nice to but I feel more comfortable on the 450R.

trueblue450
02-05-2004, 07:45 AM
i have not rode the r but from reports the front end is light, the yfz has no probs climbing hills but im sure either one will be better than anything out there..

2004TRX450R
02-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ATC83
I believe the Yamaha would be the better hill climbing quad with its lower center of gravity, heavier front end and more powerful engine.

Originally posted by trueblue450
i have not rode the r but from reports the front end is light, the yfz has no probs climbing hills but im sure either one will be better than anything out there..

I guess the Banshees must really suck at hill climbing. They have an even higher center of gravity. The funny thing is both of you said "I have never ridden the R but......"

I'm heading for the dunes this weekend. Unfortunately it is only to Moses Lake and there isnt' any BIG dunes like at Florence but I will let you know how it does on what's there. I think this front end light thing is getting blown WAY out of proportion. Everyone took what Dirtwheels said about it being light than the YFZ and then all of a sudden turned it into that the bike just won't do anything right because the front end is to light.

bran_276
02-05-2004, 09:51 AM
I do think the light front end has been blown out of proportion. I wanted to make sure though before I went out and bought a 450r. I've climbed some pretty steep hills on two wheels before...it's no fun! Thanks for the info everyone.

exrider44
02-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Dirt wheels has everyone believing this bike is no good. I love mine! I have no problem the front end doesnt come up that easy.