PDA

View Full Version : auto clutch for manual transmissions

EASTHILL
02-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I was on venders row at the GNCC last weekend and saw a auto clutch set up for manual transmissions.
does anyone have any experiences with this set up or pehaps a contact number for the company that does the mods- thanks ;)

seatec
02-03-2004, 11:44 AM
There are several different manufacturers of auto clutches. Do a search on auto clutch on thumpertalk.com. they have discussed these clutches endlessly.

EASTHILL
02-03-2004, 12:51 PM

brandonpeake
02-03-2004, 12:58 PM
dont remeber who makes them but if its what im thinking about people who drag race use them mainly banshees

PhilMoore
03-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Rekluse makes them www.rekluse.com (http://www.rekluse.com)

Unfortunately, they don't make one for the 400EX... :(

seatec
03-31-2004, 08:16 AM
there are at least 3 brands that make them. Rekluse is just one of them.

03-31-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
Rekluse makes them www.rekluse.com (http://www.rekluse.com)

Unfortunately, they don't make one for the 400EX... :(

Me and rolwrag talked with these guys for quite a while at the Dealer show in Indy this year and they will be making one for the 400ex and I think the setup is gonna be badazz. They had great things to say about the product and it sounds like it will be a XC racers dream come true...:macho

brandonpeake
03-31-2004, 08:50 AM
i got a friend with a crf250r bike and he has an auto clutch in it and loves it , i just saw a z400 on ebay with one, type in titanium[ i think that spelling is right] z400 and u will see it

bradley300
03-31-2004, 09:28 AM
on bikes w/ a lot of tourque, i think they are awesome, but on something more like a yfz that has more of a 2 stroke powerband hit, i think i would miss not having a clutch to slip to get in the power.
just my 2 cents, but for a 400ex/z400/300ex with real good all around power, i'd say it should be awesome, just not sure about the race bikes tho. course, i havenbt realy ridden them, just going off what i have heard about how the power comes on

03-31-2004, 04:36 PM
no one can shift faster than an automatic

toby400ex
03-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
no one can shift faster than an automatic AUTO CLUTCHES dont do the shifting. You just dont have to work the clutch, it does it for ya, just like some utilitys with auto clutches. I think it would be sweet, but theyre hella expensive to me.

seatec
03-31-2004, 06:17 PM
and i bleive that you can still use your clutch as well.

03-31-2004, 06:20 PM
oooohh yah...i had a brainfart...autoclutch like utility's & 250ex's.... :blah: lol im an idiot

BIGRED400
03-31-2004, 06:39 PM
What is the price??? I was talkng to a guy who had a 117HP Banshee that had 1 , man that was fast , no time wasted shifting, but he did'nt know the price his "mechanic "did a bunch of stuff all at the same time.

PhilMoore
03-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Rocky Mountain ATV has the Rekluse units for $399.00

They list them for the 450R, but not the 400EX...

They convert your manual clutch into an auto type clutch like the 250EX. They have a clutch override option for $99 more.

TDBRPH
03-31-2004, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bradley300
[B]on bikes w/ a lot of tourque, i think they are awesome, but on something more like a yfz that has more of a 2 stroke powerband hit, i think i would miss not having a clutch to slip to get in the power.

This was my original thought as well but these are becoming increasing popular with the yz 426 and 450 guys on the dirt bikes.....

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/z-start/z_start.htm

lists the yfz for 389 which is not too bad IMHO pretty tempting.

Triston

PhilMoore
03-31-2004, 08:32 PM
I thought about getting one for my WR250, just because they are very intriguing. Riding a bike with an auto clutch would feel pretty strange I think. However, it does sound like some bikers are really lovin' em.

I talked to an associate today who knows somebody, and maybe I can get one for my 400EX. I told them I would be very interested, even if I had to pay for it. I would be using it for XC, where I think it may be a viable alternative. Although, $400 - $500 is a bit of change to gamble.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB26&Number=1030019&Forum=CatSearch-5&Words=auto%20clutch&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=827596&Search=true#Post1030019

86atc250r
03-31-2004, 08:56 PM
I have a Rekluse in my 450R....

Rekluse in my opinion by far has the best setup when comparing to EFM and Revloc....

I talked with them about 18 months ago about making one for a 400EX, they keep telling me it's in the works.... When they finally get around to making one, I'll be one of the first to have one.

brandonpeake
04-01-2004, 06:30 AM
the one ive saw converted the clutch lever into a brake lever like a 250ex or whatever, so u had a rear hand brake as well

04-01-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
I have a Rekluse in my 450R....

Rekluse in my opinion by far has the best setup when comparing to EFM and Revloc....

I talked with them about 18 months ago about making one for a 400EX, they keep telling me it's in the works.... When they finally get around to making one, I'll be one of the first to have one.

Now Gabe we aren't gonna let you get away with just saying I have one in my 450R....:o

Details my man,,,, details. What's the pro's the con's, I know installation is easy but what can you tell us about it.. Thanks

Your a woods rider so tell us XC guys what benefits we're going to see using this..:D

seatec
04-01-2004, 07:35 AM
I for one would want the clutch override for those occasion where you need to need a few more RPM's to get out of a bind.

86atc250r
04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
I've had mine in the trails for about 30 minutes now, but so far I've been impressed.

I've got several hours on it in the sand & a little more time playing around the house.

I have the manual clutch override & handlebar adjuster as well.

I find that I practically never use the manual override - it works that well. I really thought I would use it more than I do.

The stall speed is also adjustable on the fly which is a nice feature - but once you have it set for a particular area, you tend to leave it alone.

I have found only one negative so far and that's shifting under power. The normal rules apply when shifting under power - except with the autoclutch at high RPMs it can be difficult to get it to dis-engage with the manual override enough in the lower gears, which can result in a missed shift. (I also may need to check my other adjustments to make sure I don't have something out of whack)

It's not a big deal and probably will just require a small adjustment in my riding style - in the hours I've spent on it in the sand dunes the only time I noticed it at all was sand dragging I would miss 3rd every so often (which could be partially attributed to the new boots I was wearing as well).

Positives? Where to start....
Log hopping is effortless. Technical areas require MUCH less skill. Traction is much improved, especially in technical hill climbs and anytime you're varying the power.

Dead engine starts are amazing. I can start the quad sitting down while in gear with my left hand free, simply hit the throttle as soon as the engine fires. Combined with the kickstart, it will be very difficult for the magic button bikes to beat out of the hole.

You can not stall the quad with the brakes, and it seems like it allows you to brake later and jump into the throttle earlier. It's more forgiving about what gear you're in - but if you're in too tall a gear and you don't do anything about it, you risk overheating the clutch (but any experienced rider should know not to do that).

It also helps if you come around a tight corner into a hill climb - if you're a gear too tall, normally you might bog, downshift and break traction going up the hill - with the autoclutch you can more easily and precisely control power to the ground since the machine is working the clutch consistantly.

It's really a cool deal and I've been very impressed with it so far. Works exactly as advertised and that seems to be something pretty rare with ATV aftermarket parts.

Point of note - if you are not very mechanically inclined or don't like to follow printed instructions DO NOT attempt the install yourself. It's nothing difficult, but it needs to be done right & it takes a little time.

04-01-2004, 10:57 AM
So I"m assuming that you could literaly pull the clutch lever, cable, and actuater arm off the quad, Plug up the whole at the clutch side and be done with it for ever:confused: :confused:

86atc250r
04-01-2004, 11:07 AM
I think that if you don't use the manual override, you setup a spring at the acutator arm that controls the engagement rate.

Pappy
04-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Gabe, please keep us up to date on this device. I think its a great idea and if it holds up I just gotta have one.

Toadz400
04-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Does anyone make one for a Banshee?