PDA

View Full Version : 400ex carrier

markk
02-03-2004, 11:12 AM
I was trying to put my new axil bearings in, and i never thought about breaking the carrier when i set it on the wooded work bench, and beat the bearing out with a punch, well the bearing came right out and when i looked at the carier later OMG
I set the part that u turn to tighten the chain on the bench, and i guess when i hit it all the preasure went to that and cracked it up pretty bad!
well the point im gettin to is what kinda carrier should i use for XC, and what is the disadvantages, or tapperd, double roller, and stock, and should i buy one with a grease Zerk?
If so how often should i grease them?

02-03-2004, 12:15 PM
bummer.

JD400exrider
02-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by markk
I was trying to put my new axil bearings in, and i never thought about breaking the carrier when i set it on the wooded work bench, and beat the bearing out with a punch, well the bearing came right out and when i looked at the carier later OMG
I set the part that u turn to tighten the chain on the bench, and i guess when i hit it all the preasure went to that and cracked it up pretty bad!
well the point im gettin to is what kinda carrier should i use for XC, and what is the disadvantages, or tapperd, double roller, and stock, and should i buy one with a grease Zerk?
If so how often should i grease them?

I just received my Burgard carrier. Looks like good quality at a good price.

Go to the F & Q section. Good thread in there to answer all your questions. Bearing carrier Tapered or double row?

Good Luck

QuadMatt
02-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Mark,

Get one like on ebay for around $120. I got it, and it may not be the best quality product available, at $120 its practically disposable. What do I mean by that? The surface on the carrier that mates with the inner diameter of the brake calliper bracket seems to wear out fast. Check your stock one and see. This "slop" causes the brake caliper to bounce around and ,IMO, it really sucks. So........... if you grease the thing regularly, by the time the bearings fail, the carrier will have to be replaced anyway. So you buy one for another $120. Now your at $240 which is what some carriers cost.

If money is not an issue, then disregard.

JD400exrider
02-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Burgard carrier special 115.00 through C&D racing (site sponsor)

250rider
02-03-2004, 09:09 PM
i have a lsr dual row carrier with the grease zerk, i have had it since this past summer and never had to replace the bearings yet, the grease zerk makes for easy luben, i ride alot of water and the grease zerk is a must to have.

JD400exrider
02-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Might PM quadfather He has a LSR for sale with 16 hours on it.

markk
02-04-2004, 08:01 AM
what does everyone think about the RAD double row carrier???

02-04-2004, 08:20 AM
go for the burgard.its 115 and it seems to be a great product. i recieved mine yesterday and should have it finished by today.