PDA

View Full Version : Sand Mountain

yellowZryder
02-02-2004, 10:08 PM
I might be going to Sand Mountain over spring break and would like to get some info and pics if possible on it. From the few pics i''ve seen, the dunes look to be like a big mountain with a few small surrounding dunes. Is snad mountain really jsut a big "Sand Mountain" or is it like other dunes like pismo, glamis, dumont, st. anthony's etc.? I would like to know before i make up my mind.
Thanks.

oldsandman
02-03-2004, 12:05 PM
The name sums it up pretty well...Their are smaller dunes similar to pismo surrounding the main hill. You can also find a few bowls on the back side of the main hill. The back side imo is the best riding there. You can run the ridge or play with alot less people around. The main hill is pretty much a hillshooting spot and on busy days too crowded to do much else. If you can bring knobbies their are lots of desert trails to ride too.

wilkin250r
02-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Yep, name sums it up. It is one big pile of sand, with a few small dunes around it. I go riding there all the time, and it is entirely possible I will be out there over Spring break. I like it, it has some great bowls, but it doesn't really compare to the size of Glamis or Pismo.

yellowZryder
02-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Are the dunes good for jumping liek at pismo or glamis or dumont. I want to push my new shocks to the limit in the sand and want to do some big jumping. I don't want ot get there and find that the dunes are not good for jumping.

wilkin250r
02-05-2004, 12:18 PM
The dunes are great for jumping. It's not hard to find a good spot, whether you are looking for a steep jump, gradual jump, and any slope of landing. You just gotta look around for the right spot.

If you are going to be jumping, either go to the backside and find someplace really secluded, or get a spotter. A lot of people get hurt out there from collisions, most of them on the front side near the camps.

Crowdog
02-05-2004, 04:17 PM
There are some photos (http://www.sandmountain-nv.org/Information.htm) on the Friends of Sand Mountain website (http://www.sandmountain-nv.org/).

Scroll down a bit and click on the images to enlarge.

Have fun....

Jon

norcalatver
02-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Wilkin 250R, about 30 of us are going to be at Sand mountain for President's Day wekend, are you going to be there?

wilkin250r
02-09-2004, 11:15 AM
I can't make it out for the entire weekend, but I'm pretty sure I can make it out there either Saturday or Sunday for the day.

Cal440exRider
02-18-2004, 10:55 PM
ive got some pictures form my trip to sand mountain over the presidents day weekend. i dont know if you are still wanting them. just tell me if you do.

wilkin250r
02-19-2004, 04:03 PM
I wasn't able to make it out there. It was Valentine's Day, you gotta have priorities, gotta take care of home first...