PDA

View Full Version : Pro Honda HP Trans Oil for the 450R or not???

MIA450R
02-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Ok, so the 450R manual says to use Pro Honda HP Trans oil for the transmission. I go to my dealer and get some...red bottle with a black top that you cut open and squeeze the oil out of. Bottle says Hi-Performance Transmission oil SAE 80W/85W, specially formulated Racing Transmission oil. Great. :p

On the back of the bottle, in RED letters, it says...
NOTICE: Pro Honda HP Trans oil is formulated for use in 2-stroke transmissions ONLY.

:huh WTF? :huh
The manual says to use it...but the bottle says only to use in 2-stroke trannies. :confused:

I dont recall seeing a 4-stroke specific Pro Honda HP Trans Oil. Is there one?

:D The funny thing is it also says on the bottle: The ultimate racing transmission oil for Honda CR's and Fourtrax 250R's. LOL obviously Honda hasn't looked at this label since 1989. Maybe thats part of the answer to my question...

sparky450AR
02-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MIA450R
Ok, so the 450R manual says to use Pro Honda HP Trans oil for the transmission. I go to my dealer and get some...red bottle with a black top that you cut open and squeeze the oil out of. Bottle says Hi-Performance Transmission oil SAE 80W/85W, specially formulated Racing Transmission oil. Great. :p

On the back of the bottle, in RED letters, it says...
NOTICE: Pro Honda HP Trans oil is formulated for use in 2-stroke transmissions ONLY.

:huh WTF? :huh
The manual says to use it...but the bottle says only to use in 2-stroke trannies. :confused:

I dont recall seeing a 4-stroke specific Pro Honda HP Trans Oil. Is there one?

:D The funny thing is it also says on the bottle: The ultimate racing transmission oil for Honda CR's and Fourtrax 250R's. LOL obviously Honda hasn't looked at this label since 1989. Maybe thats part of the answer to my question...

lol, id ask the dealer just to make sure....its prolly ok.....but i know the tranny in the 450R is a little different than normal....so i dunno

alias
02-02-2004, 08:24 PM
maybe that warning is just so people dont use it as engine oil in a four stroke

02-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by alias
maybe that warning is just so people dont use it as engine oil in a four stroke

exactly, most 4 strokes share the tranny and engine oil. hmm I think the yfz shares it too.

the 450r has two sources of lubrication, one for the crank and one for the trannie.

this is good beacuse you can run super slick tranny oil and once your motor is broken in you can run a full synthetic in the motor and not worry about clutch clippage.(from the moly additives in the synthetic oil):macho

kbass24emtp
02-02-2004, 10:30 PM
It's fine to use the Honda trany oil. I'm going to be using Klotz Flex Drive 30 in mine when I get it. If you have any questions go to thumpertalk.com and look up the crf450r thread on this, lots of info.

2004TRX450R
02-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Yes use HPtrsn oil in the tranny. That is what I am running. That bottle was designed long before the CRF or 450R were out. It is only for use in trannys and these bikes have separate tranny and engine oils. The warning is just so you don't use it as engine oil in a 4 stroke.

MIA450R
02-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the sanity check guys.

They should redesign the package before more donkeys like me either dont buy it or return it cuz we were stupid enough to read the back of the thing...

seatec
02-03-2004, 09:27 AM
How un-american of you to read the fine print.:D

i used that oil in my crf450 tranny all the time. its fine and will do a great job. Remember. "No moly in the tranny."

MIA450R
02-03-2004, 09:42 AM
word!

Quadaholic
02-03-2004, 10:58 AM
The red bottle, HP Trans, will work in the trans side. You can use standard 10-40 (w/o moly) but it tends to break down quicker. Meaning less protection and more frequent oil changes. The HP trans works best and will not cause any warranty issues.

MIA450R
02-15-2004, 11:34 AM
ttt