PDA

View Full Version : Front Tire Size vs. Sag vs. Rear Shock

JOEX
02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
This is about how all these work together..

I recently picked up a pair of used 23" front Klaws, I have PEP LM front shocks and a stock rear shock. Will sag of the front shocks compensate for the larger front tires to work well with the stock rear shock? Or am I way off base here?

This is probably splitting hairs for a recreational rider but i'm wanting to learn more about how all the components work together. I do hope to have all three shocks rebuilt in the future but I haven't even rode on the PEPs yet:(

I got the tires for a good price, so i'm not worried about replacing them in the near future either.

Joe

LathersR
02-03-2004, 03:20 PM
actually you should be alright.. Always nice to run 20 - 22 in front tho...

Chanman420q
02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
limited mass shocks dont sag at all really. nothing to make a diffrance

dawnchris
02-03-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm by NO MEANS any kind of expert on this, this is just my take on it.
The only thing tire height will affect is to move weight around. At least as far as your suspension goes.(not counting the extra tire weight) For instance, my desert quad, with 23's on front, 22's on rear is fairly balanced. Put 20's on rear, you pick up extra grip in the back, but develop a slight push in the front. You've angled the quad back, thus transfering weight from front to rear.For me, I wouldn't compensate with any suspension adjustment if the setup was undesirable, I would change tire size. Tall tires for us desert guys, outway the center of gravity disadvantage by allowing us to be faster in the rocks. There are LOTS of rocks out west.
Just my .02 cents.

JOEX
02-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys:)

I forgot to add that I also have +1 arms and 4-1 front rims. Would this have any affect on overall handling for this situation?

Joe

dawnchris
02-03-2004, 11:25 PM
As far as I know, it shouldn't. I'm partial to the 4-1 front, as it moves the wheels centerline closer to the spindle pivot, thereby reducing the tendancy to bumpsteer. I use a 3 over arm with the 4-1, gives me the width of a 2 over with 3-2, but with more accurate and stable steering.

bmw500hp
02-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Joe, I had that "exact" same combo on my quad for several months in the early part of last summer..ie:

pep limited mass comp adj.
stock rear shock
20" xc's
23" xct's

The fact that you have 23"s up front and 20"s to the rear isn't the biggest issue you have to deal with.

JOEX
02-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
Joe, I had that "exact" same combo on my quad for several months in the early part of last summer..ie:

pep limited mass comp adj.
stock rear shock
20" xc's
23" xct's

The fact that you have 23"s up front and 20"s to the rear isn't the biggest issue you have to deal with.
Thanks, really didn't didn't think it mattered a whole lot. Is there something else that I should be concerned with?

Joe