PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar B.S.-am I wrong?

dawnchris
02-02-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm fairly pissed at Lonestar at the moment. Just thought I'de vent, and see if I'm wrong in my thinking.
I have a full Lonestar 250R, with a set of 3 over A-arms. These arms are about 5 years old, and I've bent one. I contact LSR to get another, they tell me they've changed designs, and since the new arms won't match up,(the new 3 over arm is 1/2 in. shorter than mine-go figure) they say the only thing they can do is sell me another complete set! I think thats pretty much B.S. I could understand if the arms were way old, but come on, you'de think they could put something together.
As of right now, the LAST thing I'm going to do is give them more money just to have them pull this cr@p when I need something again.
Is this typical, or am I loopy?

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-02-2004, 05:21 PM
well if they changed the design, meaning they must of improved it, how do you expect them to give you an old one they no longer make?

nacs400ex
02-02-2004, 05:29 PM
I am saying your both in the wrong. LSR should give you the new style at a cheaper rate because they obviously found a flaw in the old ones. But they should not make an old a-arm just to accomadate people that break them.

EXerHonda400
02-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
I am saying your both in the wrong. LSR should give you the new style at a cheaper rate because they obviously found a flaw in the old ones. But they should not make an old a-arm just to accomadate people that break them.

I agree with you 110%

dawnchris
02-02-2004, 06:05 PM
While I understand what everyone is saying, how hard is it to have the old jigs hanging on the wall somewhere? For that matter, the new arm would work, if it were 1/2 in. longer, couldn't that be done?

dawnchris
02-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
well if they changed the design, meaning they must of improved it, how do you expect them to give you an old one they no longer make?

Thats like saying because you have last years model car, you can't get parts for it, because they have a new car now.

JOEX
02-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Just because a company im proved a product doesn't neccessarly mean there was a flaw in the privious design. IMO five years is a resonable amount of time for a-arms depending on the riding conditions of course. Accidents happen.

It would be nice if LSR stepped up and offered a reasonable discount on a new set though.

What happened, how did it bend?

Maybe someone out there is in a similar situatiuon with one (opposite) bad arm and is willing to sell. I'm that would be difficult though. Or try hounding LSR a bit more to see if they have one stashed in a corner somewhere.

Joe

dawnchris
02-02-2004, 06:17 PM
It bent in a rollover. Just the top arm, and just a little. It still works fine, with an adjustment in the camber and caster everything lines back up. I was just wanting to replace it.
They sent out the new "3 over", but it was 1/2 shorter. Everything was in the same place, just shorter. After that, they said thats all they can do.
It was almost $200 for the wrong arm, and they said they'de send the other 3 to match for another $460, w/o hiems, or ball joints. Heck, thats almost the new price, when you add in the parts.

EXerHonda400
02-02-2004, 06:26 PM
can't you find a used one on eBay or something??

dawnchris
02-02-2004, 06:28 PM
there's alot of 2 over, or 2 +1, but no 3 over. Plus I'de have to be sure its the older one, as obviously the newer one doesn't work.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by dawnchris
Thats like saying because you have last years model car, you can't get parts for it, because they have a new car now.

i want you to call maier, and ask for the older dull version of their front plastics to match a rear one you have. maier would tell you those are old news, they can only sell the new ones to you.

...or give lrd a call, tell them you broke your original version of their 400ex silencer for their system, i bet anything they say its no longer made and they can only sell you the new system.

see what im saying now? asking lsr to build something they no longer make is asking for alot. im sure if you do some complaining they will cut a nice deal on a new set, it always works for me. trying to get a replacement arm isn't going to happen, and i prefectly understand that. its very unfortunate, but thats the way things are :(

OutlawEX
02-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Im with Rippin

But I can get u set of new A-arms for a deal,email me at outlawex@aol.com

dawnchris
02-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i want you to call maier, and ask for the older dull version of their front plastics to match a rear one you have. maier would tell you those are old news, they can only sell the new ones to you.

...or give lrd a call, tell them you broke your original version of their 400ex silencer for their system, i bet anything they say its no longer made and they can only sell you the new system.

see what im saying now? asking lsr to build something they no longer make is asking for alot. im sure if you do some complaining they will cut a nice deal on a new set, it always works for me. trying to get a replacement arm isn't going to happen, and i prefectly understand that. its very unfortunate, but thats the way things are :(

Nice try, the problem with your suggestion, is that in both cases, the new item would still WORK!!! It wouldn't match the old one, but it also wouldn't hurt anything. The most annoying thing is that the "new" 3 over is 1/2in. shorter than the old one. Wouldn't that make it a 2.5 over? I wouldn't give a crap if the finish was different, or the tubing was bent different, just so the balljoint came out at the same spot! The "new" 2 over arms will replace the old ones, the "new" 2 + 1 arms will replace the old ones. Whats up with the 3 over?

markk
02-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by nacs400ex

i agree!

brandonpeake
02-03-2004, 12:12 PM
well if it was me i would argue with exriders.com members id be calling lonestar and try to get the whole new set for like 1/2
which i think would be a deal

how many other people can buy a "race product" and get it to work for 5 years, i would expect breakage by then, but if u get half off a new set i think u would be coming out good for breaking a 5 year old a arm

dawnchris
02-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
well if it was me i would argue with exriders.com members id be calling lonestar and try to get the whole new set for like 1/2
which i think would be a deal

how many other people can buy a "race product" and get it to work for 5 years, i would expect breakage by then, but if u get half off a new set i think u would be coming out good for breaking a 5 year old a arm

I agree wholeheartedly. I would be more than happy with that. Unfortunatly, LSR doesn't see it that way.

brandonpeake
02-03-2004, 01:56 PM
ok so what exactly has LSR said? this might help

ok here is what i would do, i would find their warranty info and include it in the email explaining the problem and ask who i nneded to talk to or if i called i would have the papers handy so i could quote them, tell them u will send back the other part b/c it does not work for you and if i email them i would include a link to this threadi know someone had problems with dyno jet and that worked , i know alot of people look at exriders.com and thats alot of bad publicity and i would tell i will include their actions on here good or bad, so they can step up and do the right thing and help me since im supporting them by wanting to replace my "brokem LSR" pices with another one of their products so they could get a life time customer or someone who would never buy anything from them again, and word of mouth is the worst kind of bad advertising you can get and i dont think something like 1/2 off is too much to ask
try this if not we will try to think of something else

racerx573
02-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Throw the LSR away and get Laeger's or Walsh :devil:

My friend broke a top ball joint, and the LSR a-arm he bought was 1/2" shorter as well and he had to run the balljoin. all the way out. And not many companies will warranty a 'race product', esp. one thats 5 yeard old.

This is directly from the LSR site:

LSR offers at least a one year warranty against manufacturers defects on most parts. This does not cover parts that have failed from abuse such as crashing or neglect. Nor does it cover bearings or ball joints. So if you roll your quad and bend the steering stem don't expect to get it replaced for free.

dawnchris
02-03-2004, 05:00 PM
I fully understand the warranty stuff. I wouldn't expect a free arm (or steering stem for that matter) if i bent one. What I DO expect is to be able to buy a replacement part for the broken one.
We'll see.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Nice try, the problem with your suggestion, is that in both cases, the new item would still WORK!!! It wouldn't match the old one, but it also wouldn't hurt anything. The most annoying thing is that the "new" 3 over is 1/2in. shorter than the old one. Wouldn't that make it a 2.5 over? I wouldn't give a crap if the finish was different, or the tubing was bent different, just so the balljoint came out at the same spot! The "new" 2 over arms will replace the old ones, the "new" 2 + 1 arms will replace the old ones. Whats up with the 3 over?

lmao, it was an example, so ya....:o :huh

ewalker302
02-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
i know someone had problems with dyno jet and that worked

That was me,
what I did was e-mail the atv guy at dynojet & I copied it to 2 or 3 other people at DJ also, like the sales dept & any other address I could find on the site that had to do with the jet kits. I knew the atv guy would see that it wasnt going to just him.

It worked, I got a new main DJ "holder" and three jets that arent included in the kit.

Worth a try.

:bandit:

NacsRacing400
02-03-2004, 05:58 PM
cant you just get 2 new top a-arms and adjust them as needed. They have hiemed ends.

dawnchris
02-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Tried that with the current one to see. I race desert, and as such, the caster is set back about 6 degrees. That doesn't leave enough adjustment to set up the camber properly without having the adjustments too far out. Even with the balljoint adjustment, it's not enough. If I was a moto guy, and ran a bunch of neg. camber, it would work.

dawnchris
02-05-2004, 03:55 PM
OK, after TOO many times working this, Lonestar and I seem to have come to an agreement. As long as they hold true to their word, it's all good. They will supply me with the other 3 arms that match the shorter one for $360. That works for me-the full set would retail for $900+. Thanks to those of you with suggestions on what to do, it DID help.

JOEX
02-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Good to hear something got worked out.:)

Joe

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-05-2004, 11:59 PM
OK, after TOO many times working this, Lonestar and I seem to have come to an agreement. As long as they hold true to their word, it's all good. They will supply me with the other 3 arms that match the shorter one for $360. That works for me-the full set would retail for $900+. Thanks to those of you with suggestions on what to do, it DID help.

thats good, i think its safe to say you will get your arms if thats what lsr told ya:D

brandonpeake
02-06-2004, 07:18 AM
so how did it allk work out, what did you do to get them to let u get the other 3 arms for $360

dawnchris
02-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Really just told them I thought they should/could do better. Practically everything on my quad is LSR, I let them know that I'm happy with the stuff, but if their only response was "buy another set", I'de replace them with another brand. They came back with that price, I said "fair enough".

brandonpeake
02-08-2004, 08:55 AM
well at least they stepped up for one fo their customers

Jnine
02-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Couldn't you just straighten the bent arm? You said it was only slightly bent.

dawnchris
02-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Nope. Tried. It's all good now.

Jnine
02-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Glad you are back riding.

I was just thinking that perhaps it could have been straightened. I know most people don't have a press in their garage, but even if you had a solid flat surface to clamp to and some large metal working C-clamps you can really do a lot. Especially on lighter parts like an upper a-arm. One thing I have learned that a lot of metal working activities are involved in how to securely clamp and hold the material when you are working it.

Good riding. Talk to you later.

Duncanracer
02-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Nope. Tried. It's all good now.

dont ride so fast :D :D :D

dawnchris
02-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I only rode fast for the first 1/2. After that it was cruise control-I was pooped!

dawnchris
02-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the offer Dave, but I'll just mount the new ones when they show, and put these on the wifes 400ex. They'de be fine play arms. Heck, I raced with them on this weekend. The bend can be adjusted for, I just don't like to run the bent one. I just know it's gonna get worse racing on it.