PDA

View Full Version : Trinity 465 Stroker

ChadEXer
02-26-2002, 08:01 AM
Im sending my motor off to Trinity this week to have them put the 465 Stroker in it. Anybody know anyone with this setup? Its gonna cost me a he!! of a lot of money but Im making my 400 the fastest on earth and this is the best way to start. Im having everthing imaginable done to it. I called ALL the Engine Builders and I like what I heard from them the best. I was going to send it to Sparks but they said it will be November before they can get to it. At the races I was at this weekend the Trinity setups dominated. The Trinity Raptor won in his class and the Trinity Banshee won in his class. Harry at Trinity said he just built a 465 stroker and it will KILL the Trinity 680 Raptor and hang with the Trinity 710 Raptor. The Trinity 680 Raptor I raced this weekend stomped me. I was at the 200ft mark when he was finishing at the 500 ft mark. I CAINT WAIT!!!!!!
PS I have an extra stock head and cylinder i will be sending them so my Ported and Polished head and my cylinder with the 416 piston will be up for sale. All you would have to do is bolt it up! INSTANT 416. Let me know if anybody is interested and make me some offers!

TrX465
02-26-2002, 08:43 AM
right on dude youll like it ill be strokeing mine to so ill tell u how it is , but as far as right now i havent lost to a 4-stroke in the dunes.....

ChadEXer
02-26-2002, 09:12 AM
Damnit horsepower costs money doesnt it?? Im having just about everthing you have done, done to mine also. Well just put it this way. Anything that can be done to a 400EX will be done to mine. Where do you live TRX465. Do you go to Little Sahara? We will be going there for the big ride in March. As long as Trinity has my motor back to me by then. Im sending it tommorrow and they said 3-8 weeks. I hope its only 3!! I cant believe im spending this much money on my quad. I wont tell how much im spending but I will tell you when its done I will have at least 12-13000 in my quad!!! THAT HURTS!!!

ChadEXer
02-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Oh yeah, you know whats sad. Ive only had the 416 in it for about 2 weeks. I should have just saved that money huh??

Zero Z400
02-26-2002, 10:00 AM
If your really power hungry you should have gotten the 500cc kit from FST that also adds liquid cooling. But the 465 should be sweet. The 500 kit is expensive!! I think its like 2900$!!! or around there
Just my 2 cents.

Sandragggen
02-26-2002, 10:43 AM
I was thinking about the 465 but decided against it for the new Honda will be out sometime within the next year or so. Mods mentioned below will be good enough until then. I'd like to race one of those 465's to see how bad they are. I don't think I've even seen one. Anyway, good luck with your EX ChadEXer, Im sure it will be much faster than the 416. Are you going to do alky?

Jay

ChadEXer
02-26-2002, 01:01 PM
Im not sure if I will run alky yet or not. Im going to wait until I get it back and see what its like. I may go to alky but im not sure. I will probably just run VP C14 race gas! I called FST and talked with them about there kit. I talked to all the engine builders and from what I heard it was between Trinity and TC for me. Sparks is what I was gonna do but they said it will be November before they can get to it. Way too long. Tom at TC said he doesnt reccommend his full race 440 if I will be doing play riding that I should do the 425. He said it will be very fast. Harry at Trinity said the 465 Stroker will stop TC's 425 even though Tom is one of the best engine builders out there. Harry also said the 465 Stroker is reliable and I wont have any problems even play riding and he will warranty it as long as I own it!! I am very confident that the 465 Stroker is what I NEED!!

Blackguywithouta400
02-26-2002, 01:31 PM
How did they come up with the 465? is it a 440 stroked? how much stroke is it? in mm Is it an offset piston? What compression are u going with? Are they going with a Corrilo rod? Just wanted to know i plan on sending mine off to Tom Miller

TrX465
02-26-2002, 01:37 PM
i believe hes doin a 88 or 89mm piston with a 4 or 6mm stroker.....i just did a 92mm piston with 13:1, im currently putting the 14:1 comp piston in from sparks ;)

TrX465
02-26-2002, 01:38 PM
oh and i live in az, easter im goin to glamis even though the cops are trying to be di*ks

ChadEXer
02-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Hes puttin a 12.5:1 piston in it. Im not sure what mm it is. I have asked him a million questions and I still think of something else I need to ask him every minute. All I know is I called him up and told him I wanted one of the fastest EX's in the land and he said well send me a couple of thousand and your motor and Ill get started so thats what I did!! He is using Carillo Rods.

beerock
02-26-2002, 02:48 PM
did you send the motor out yet?

Did you happento look at the four stroke shootout over at www.atvconnection.com ??

the curtis sparks 400ex smoked everything even the trinity raptors.
the only thing it didnt beat was the sparks raptor.

spending that kind of money, should be thought out very carefully, once you spend it, thats what you got!

Im not kicking trinity, but they didnt win the shoot out.
sparks did.

James70214
02-26-2002, 02:54 PM
Chad exer
How much do you think you will want for your 416 kit. I am intrested let me know. Will you be selling it now or are you wating till you get your stroker back?
Thanks
James

Dave400ex
02-26-2002, 03:04 PM
Your 400EX is going to Fly. Do you know what all is Included in the TC 425 Kit? What did TC say about it? I think that`s what I want to do some day. Thanks.

Sparks is really backed up. The only way I would send my Motor Out is if I had two. Then I could still ride.

Nausty
02-26-2002, 03:41 PM
Yeah I was curious to the price of the 416 kit?

Dave400ex
02-26-2002, 03:44 PM
What 416 Kit?

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by beerock

Did you happento look at the four stroke shootout over at www.atvconnection.com ??

spending that kind of money, should be thought out very carefully, once you spend it, thats what you got!

sparks did.
You are right. I talked to Harry at Trinity about this and he said there is no doubt that the 465 Stroker will smoke the 680 Trinity Raptor. Notice Trinity didnt bring there 465 Stroker. So we really dont know which is the fastest. I was racing a Trinity 680 Raptor this weekend with my 416 and he made me look like a *****. I cant even imagine mine being faster than that. I cant wait!!!

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Im going to be selling the whole ported and polished head and the cylinder already bored with the 416 piston in it. All you would have to do is bolt it on. Im just looking for someone to make me some offers on it. It will be ready to be sold by this weekend at the latest.

MOOCAZEN
02-27-2002, 09:37 AM
I HAVE A FRIEND WITH A 400 WHO WANTS TO KNOW HOW MUCH FOR YOUR KIT, HE RUNS EVERYTHING STOCK, JUST GOT A PIPE AND FILTER, LET ME KNOW

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by MOOCAZEN
I HAVE A FRIEND WITH A 400 WHO WANTS TO KNOW HOW MUCH FOR YOUR KIT, HE RUNS EVERYTHING STOCK, JUST GOT A PIPE AND FILTER, LET ME KNOW
just tell him to make me an offer. Im not going to try to make a killing off it. I will take offers. I know the XR cam is $120 and the port job is $150 and the piston kit is $130. Thats not including what a whole head and cylinder would cost. But like I said. I got plenty of money and I would like to help someone out. Just make me an offer!!

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 10:24 AM

sparks did.
Also. When I called Sparks about the 465 he said it would be November before he could even start on it. Thats not the big deal. But what is, is he said "I will tell you know, you WILL have problems with this motor" I said do you warranty it he said "absolutely not". Now thats reassuring!! He said it is a strickly drag motor and they have even had the cases split with the 465's. Harry at Trinity said he will warranty the 465 Stroker for as long as I own the bike. This is why trinity is the one for me!!

TrX465
02-27-2002, 01:57 PM
shoot i drive mine all i the desert i havent had no probs with anything..... and ive dragged it and all. i did have one incident and where i first put my motor together , i didnt upgrade my timing chain and i stretched it hardcore, so i had to change....which i should have done in the beginning....

but overall, its pretty fast

MOOCAZEN
02-27-2002, 02:44 PM
HOW ABT 450

beerock
02-27-2002, 02:54 PM
damn your right chad! trinity didnt bring a 400ex.

hmmmmm

harry is a good guy , and his turn around is fast, my friend larry uses him for all his motor work.

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 03:32 PM
damn your right chad! trinity didnt bring a 400ex.

hmmmmm

harry is a good guy , and his turn around is fast, my friend larry uses him for all his motor work.
I asked him why. He said he didnt have a EX when it was time for the wars and he didnt have time to build one! Mickey Dunlap at FST said he would build me a 505EX for about the same price as the trinity stroker. But he too would be till April before he could start on it. That sucks. I will definately get the oil cooler from him though! I wish I had the patience to wait for the 505 but my motor is out of my bike and im ready to get it built!!

beerock
02-27-2002, 03:38 PM
how much are you spending for this?

MOOCAZEN
02-27-2002, 03:53 PM
WHAT ABT 450 FOR THE THINGS? LET ME KNOW

Dave400ex
02-27-2002, 04:08 PM
How much Horsepower does this Motor Kit put out? It`s going to be a Killer. I can`t believe Sparks said that about his 465. At least he tells the Truth instead of just trying to get you to buy his Product.

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 06:22 PM
how much are you spending for this?
Guess what. I decided Im sendin it to Mickey at FST. Hes putting the complete 500 kit and his oil cooler on for $2500. Thats not that bad at all. Mickey said NOBODY builds a EX faster than his 500. He builds his own piston(lightest available) grinds his own cams, and uses different rods than everybody else. He sayd his 500 will spank Curtis Sparks 465 and they are good friends!! he wasnt at 4 stroke wars he said because its 3000 miles for him and hes very busy!! I really like what he says and he knows his *****. He works ONLY on 4 strokes. Most of these other places work mainly on 2 strokes! I believe in him!! He said it will be about 2-3 months before I get it back but "good things come to those who wait" I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by MOOCAZEN
WHAT ABT 450 FOR THE THINGS? LET ME KNOW
Sorry but Im going to go ahead and send him the 416 head and cylinder. But I will sale the 416 piston and the XR cam. They have about 5 hours on them. Not even really broke in yet. Ill put em in somebodys door for $200. Let me know

02-27-2002, 06:25 PM
u hav too much money, give me a few thousand :D

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
How much Horsepower does this Motor Kit put out? It`s going to be a Killer. I can`t believe Sparks said that about his 465. At least he tells the Truth instead of just trying to get you to buy his Product.
As you probably read above Im going with the 500 kit from Mickey at FST now. I asked Mickey how many horses he thinks it will push and he said "I dont really talk horses and dont like when people do because its usually a lie anyway" He said there is no EX faster than his 500. Trinity claims there 465 puts out 48+ horses so just imagine what FST's 500 will do. Damn it I cant wait to rider her!!

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 440
u hav too much money, give me a few thousand :D
I guess you can say I am VERY lucky when it comes to my job!!! I am a freight forwarding agent and Ive made as much as $4600 in 1 week. The worst I have ever made in the last 3 years of doing this is $650. I would say i AVERAGE about $2000+ a week. I love my job. Its very easy and I make hella money.

02-27-2002, 06:34 PM
i do all my modds on 15$ a day, so any modds r sweet to me. takes my a few days to pick the right parts since i dont hav much money nd dont wanna waste it on sumthin ussless

ChadEXer
02-27-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by 440
i do all my modds on 15$ a day, so any modds r sweet to me. takes my a few days to pick the right parts since i dont hav much money nd dont wanna waste it on sumthin ussless
I waste WAY too much money. Im gonna try to slow it down and start doing things right the first time!!!

02-27-2002, 07:01 PM
yea, jus orderd omf scoops and new pads, and outerwears lid, lets hope this is a good purchase

Pro400EXC
02-27-2002, 09:14 PM
:mad: I would never ever ever buy a Mickey OneLap 500 kit.

Trinity didn't bring there quad out cause they know it would lose. Why do you think a Trinty Raptor lost to a Sparks400ex? Hello,Trinity and Mickey OneLap suck in my opinion.

Maybe sparks doesn't warrenty his stuff,but he does great work.
Also those 465ex's had the front brakes removed, and alot of other stuff to, and ran on Alky.

So tell me how a SPARKS 400ex beat a TRINITY RAPTOR?

I think Trinty is bad, and so is Mickey OneLap,and its called MickeyOnelap cause it will last One Lap!

I would wait for the best(SPARKS) and a 500 really is tooo Big,thats alot of mass for the 400ex crank to move, why do you think the 505Sparks EX lost to its own 465EX?

Just my $.03

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
:mad: I would never ever ever buy a Mickey OneLap 500 kit.

Trinity didn't bring there quad out cause they know it would lose. Why do you think a Trinty Raptor lost to a Sparks400ex? Hello,Trinity and Mickey OneLap suck in my opinion.

Maybe sparks doesn't warrenty his stuff,but he does great work.
Also those 465ex's had the front brakes removed, and alot of other stuff to, and ran on Alky.

So tell me how a SPARKS 400ex beat a TRINITY RAPTOR?

I think Trinty is bad, and so is Mickey OneLap,and its called MickeyOnelap cause it will last One Lap!

I would wait for the best(SPARKS) and a 500 really is tooo Big,thats alot of mass for the 400ex crank to move, why do you think the 505Sparks EX lost to its own 465EX?

Just my $.03
goshdamnit, now yall are pissing me off. Just kidding. I want to hear this. I have a crated up motor and a lot of money and I want the fastest EX in the land. What the f_ck do I do?? Evertime I decide on a builder somebody says NO NO NO. Come on guys help me out here.

Scott
02-28-2002, 08:37 AM
Chadexer, calm down. Mickey Dunlop USED to be called one-lap Dunlop, but if anyone cares to check, they'll find he was the guy that built SEVERAL of the championship quads last year.

Both utility class champs were from FST. One was a 500+cc wolverine and the other was a modded grizz if I remember right. I don't think you're going to get screwed by having FST do you engine.

No I don't work for him, I'm not related, and I haven't even had him do any work on my quads. BUT, when I had a question and sent FST an email, HE emailed me back the next day. And he didn't attempt to BS me.

No matter what engine builder you say you're going to use, someone on here is going to tell you how stupid that is. It's just like all the "my quad's faster than your quad" or "my dad can beat up your dad" threads on here. Everyone on here loves their particular machine, and to them it's the best on earth. If you decide on doing something different, you're going to catch some heat.

It's your money dude, and let's face it, the way you throw it around, if you don't like the results of this engine build, you're just going to redo it anyway. You're the only person on here to sell a 416 engine 2 weeks after it was installed, and right after you post how great it is. Makes me wonder if you screwed the timing chain up or something... No flames intended. Get you FST 500EX and have fun.

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Scott
Chadexer, calm down. Mickey Dunlop USED to be called one-lap Dunlop, but if anyone cares to check, they'll find he was the guy that built SEVERAL of the championship quads last year.

Both utility class champs were from FST. One was a 500+cc wolverine and the other was a modded grizz if I remember right. I don't think you're going to get screwed by having FST do you engine.

No I don't work for him, I'm not related, and I haven't even had him do any work on my quads. BUT, when I had a question and sent FST an email, HE emailed me back the next day. And he didn't attempt to BS me.

No matter what engine builder you say you're going to use, someone on here is going to tell you how stupid that is. It's just like all the "my quad's faster than your quad" or "my dad can beat up your dad" threads on here. Everyone on here loves their particular machine, and to them it's the best on earth. If you decide on doing something different, you're going to catch some heat.

It's your money dude, and let's face it, the way you throw it around, if you don't like the results of this engine build, you're just going to redo it anyway. You're the only person on here to sell a 416 engine 2 weeks after it was installed, and right after you post how great it is. Makes me wonder if you screwed the timing chain up or something... No flames intended. Get you FST 500EX and have fun.
Well Scott. So far I like what you have said more than anybody. I think you are definately right. No I didnt mess anything up with the 416 but I did lose at the big race last weekend and I dont EVER want it to happen again. But I did beat everyone over and over before and after the race. I choked under pressure and got a bad start. One run elimination so I lost. I beat the winners 440 over and over. Damn that sucks. I know it sounds like I can throw money around like its nothing but its not really that easy. No matter how much money a person makes you are still broke!!! If you make more money you live a higher lifestyle which I do! I live on high standards therefore spend a lot of money. After my trucks and car payments, 4 wheeler payments, house payment(im having a house built at the end of summer) and a bunch of other payments that probably are unnecceasary to others i dont really end up with a LOT of money left. It might seem like a LOT to others but not me. I will tell you I grew up in poverty. Lived in a peice of ***** trailer with 4 siblings and 1 parent making minimum wage. So I know what its like to be poor and Im very grateful now and I do help people out a lot. If I see a homeless guy on the side of the road I give him money. My wife gives to numerous charities and It makes me feel really good. I know what its like to be on the other side of the rainbow and I will always be grateful.

kaneman23
02-28-2002, 10:36 AM
Chadex, if you haven't sold the 416 kit let me know. I am interested. My email is kaneman23@aol.com

Thanks,
Justin

TrX465
02-28-2002, 10:39 AM
Ill race you when your done...... ;) but hey mine will be a 92mm with 14:1 compression with a stroker ......:o ok now lets see how much hp ill be having

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by kaneman23
Chadex, if you haven't sold the 416 kit let me know. I am interested. My email is kaneman23@aol.com

Thanks,
Justin
I havent sold it yet. I am seeing about getting my mechanic to pull the piston and cam out before we send the motor off. I will let you know
Chad

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by TrX465
Ill race you when your done...... ;) but hey mine will be a 92mm with 14:1 compression with a stroker ......:o ok now lets see how much hp ill be having
ill be ready. I still got quite a bit to do to it first. Then Ill race ya. Ive only had it for about 2-3 months. I better win. I dont like losing!!!!!:)

TrX465
02-28-2002, 10:48 AM
hahahaha i dont lose ;) **** ill turbo the hore and get a low compression piston .......

naw ill just pull out the 582 stoker banshee or the 250r cr500 see i have back up bikes ;)

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 10:51 AM
hahahaha i dont lose ;) **** ill turbo the hore and get a low compression piston .......

naw ill just pull out the 582 stoker banshee or the 250r cr500 see i have back up bikes ;)
HAHAHA I hear ya!!!!!

400exJOE
02-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Hey Chad, how much would you be willing to sell the xr400 cam for???

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exJOE
Hey Chad, how much would you be willing to sell the xr400 cam for???
I would really like to sell the 416 piston and the XR cam together for $200
Thanks

02-28-2002, 02:24 PM
Sparks racing,,won the 4 stroke wars,,plus he's been the GNC engine builder of the year numerous times...If I was in your shoes...that's who would be gettin my motor..

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Sparks racing,,won the 4 stroke wars,,plus he's been the GNC engine builder of the year numerous times...If I was in your shoes...that's who would be gettin my motor..
Well I called Sparks and he said it would be Nov before he would even start on it. He also said "you WILL have problems with this motor" I said do you warranty it, he said"absolutely not". He says $3300 for it and everybody else is about $2500 for there BEST big bore. Even TC,s 440 with the complete carb and everything. Man I just cant wait till Nov either!!!

TrX465
02-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Hey man do whatever makes you happy.....me my self i went with sparks cause i did all the maching so all i did was buy the sleeve and piston from him....and other little things then i o-ringed the head to make sure no leaks cause it will....

Dave400ex
02-28-2002, 04:45 PM
You are the only one that can make your Final Choice. We can tell you what to do and what not to do, but it comes down to what you want more. I have never really heard anything Bad about FST, but I would only get TC, Sparks, or Duncan Motor Work on my 400EX. I think TC would be Good, but if Tom told you his 440 Motor will not be Good for Play Riding/Drag Racing then ask him what would be. If he says a 425 ask him about it and then ask if he has anything Bigger that would be ok. I think he has a 480 or 490 Kit. You should be Happy with whatever you get.

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 05:03 PM
You are the only one that can make your Final Choice. We can tell you what to do and what not to do, but it comes down to what you want more. I have never really heard anything Bad about FST, but I would only get TC, Sparks, or Duncan Motor Work on my 400EX. I think TC would be Good, but if Tom told you his 440 Motor will not be Good for Play Riding/Drag Racing then ask him what would be. If he says a 425 ask him about it and then ask if he has anything Bigger that would be ok. I think he has a 480 or 490 Kit. You should be Happy with whatever you get.
Your right. I have finally made my FINAL CHOICE. Im sending it to Tom. He has a 490 or a 505. Hes gonna put the 505 on mine. TC was the first I called and we had a little misunderstanding. Im glad I called him back just a little bit ago. I know you all probably think Im crazy by now. First Trinity, then FST now TC, but my mind is made up FOR SURE. It will be Tom Carlsons 505 for me. Sorry to sound so stupid and keep changing but I GREATLY appreciate all of yalls comments!

James70214
02-28-2002, 05:06 PM
Hey I don't get it. You say you have to talk to your mechanic about the top end(416) before you send it to get worked. Then you say you are getting your crate motor worked. Which engine are you sending?

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by James70214
Hey I don't get it. You say you have to talk to your mechanic about the top end(416) before you send it to get worked. Then you say you are getting your crate motor worked. Which engine are you sending?
Ok. I have only 1 motor. Maybe I said it was ready to be crated up or something. My mechanic has my quad and said he will have the motor out by tommorrow. It has the 416 in it now. He does have another head and cylinder for a 400 that he was going to give me and send but he said that a bolt had dinged up the inside of that one that came out of the guys carb(the screw that holds the choke butterfly) that had it on his bike. Well when I talked to Tom he said that has happened before and he dont think it hurted it at all. He said he would rather work on that one than one that has a 416 piston and already ported. So it looks like I will be selling the whole ported head and cylinder again. Sorry for all the confusion.
Chad

Dave400ex
02-28-2002, 05:21 PM
You will be Happy with TC. My Brother is Building his 250R Motor from TC. It has been a Long Wait, but I think we should be getting the Stuff this Week or next Week. I can`t wait to see it Run. A 505? Man that thing is going to Haul. Just like TC said, "Just run it Boy". Do you have Two Motors?

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 05:26 PM
I only have 1 motor but my mechanic has a 400 head and cylinder that he is giving me. I was typing the previous message when you posted yours. It explains the ****uation!!! How long did TC have his??? He told me he will start on it in 6 weeks!

400MXer
02-28-2002, 05:28 PM
a 505? Holly $**T. That thing is going to haul balls. what carb you gonna run. is it stroked too?

ChadEXer
02-28-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 400MXer
a 505? Holly $**T. That thing is going to haul balls. what carb you gonna run. is it stroked too?
Yes you have to stroke it to get it to 505cc. Tom said he will put a Lectron carb on it. Im not sure what size I didnt ask. I cant wait to get it back!!

400MXer
02-28-2002, 05:38 PM
oh duh, i should have known that....tom carlson really likes the lectron carbs.

Dave400ex
02-28-2002, 05:46 PM
I think we Sent my Brothers Stuff to TC at the End of Sept. or Beginning of Oct. We still do not have it Back yet. I like TC and want to go with him on my 400EX, but it has been a Long Wait. I would still go with TC anyday.

K_Fulk
02-28-2002, 06:03 PM
I'm getting my extra motor stroked right now by my local engine builder. Its going to be a 460 its bored to a 440 and he sent the crank to powroll and they made a rod for it. And its going to have a 13:1 piston. It should be done within the next week or two i'll let you know how it runs when i get it.
Does anyone want to buy my complete 440 motor so i can pay for it?

Pro400EXC
02-28-2002, 08:25 PM
Well,at least your going with a GOOD engine builder,but I hear those Lectron's are hard to jet right, also I hope it runs good,mcause a 505?That sounds unreliable to me. Also did you read Sparks thing on his website about the 465 kit? It says if you wannt PROVEN and RELIABLE HORESPOWER, than this is the kit for you. i think it says that

Also how much is this kit gonna cost?

And you guys keep saying this 505 is gonna be fast?Its 505, i think it will make more tourqe,but it prolly won't be much faster than a 465

Dunlap
03-01-2002, 04:58 AM
I'am glad you are going with TC.

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
I'am glad you are going with TC.
Well Mickey, Im sorry I had to change my mind. You know I talked to you and I was going to send it to you but I had a delima. I had 2 of the best engine builders in the country both saying a 505 or 500.. Both were the same price. You said you have a lot coming up and your going to be doing something for Yamaha and it would be the end of April before you could begin. Tom said he could start on it in no later than 6 weeks. Then a guy on here says Tom has had his motor for Months. Its hard to decide what you want to do when it comes to something like this and spending this much money. For me the money isnt REALLY an issue but I had to beg my wife to let me do this:D!!! If I spent all this money and my motor blows up when I get it back I better start diggin my grave because shes gonna put me in it! I really like what you said and the oil cooler you make and I was exited about you doing it but Im just an impatient person. I wish you werent so busy and could have had a faster turn around time for me!
Thanks Chad

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 07:41 AM
Well,at least your going with a GOOD engine builder,but I hear those Lectron's are hard to jet right, also I hope it runs good,mcause a 505?That sounds unreliable to me. Also did you read Sparks thing on his website about the 465 kit? It says if you wannt PROVEN and RELIABLE HORESPOWER, than this is the kit for you. i think it says that

Also how much is this kit gonna cost?

And you guys keep saying this 505 is gonna be fast?Its 505, i think it will make more tourqe,but it prolly won't be much faster than a 465
Just about any engine builder will build you a 465 or 500 for about $2500. But thats not including a pipe. It MAY be unreliable. If something happens I will just have to fix it! My wife will b!tch for hours but I will do something to make it up to her and it will all be OK!!! Besides Im the bread winner in this house anyway!!!

jcv400ex
03-01-2002, 07:52 AM
Chad,

Call Tom and tell him to leave the Lectron off! That thing is a POS. Get the 41mm FCR. You don't want to lose your Accelerator pump. It has by far, the worst throttle response of any carb. Needs heavy modification to work right. And it likes to kick the airbox off alot! It's shorter than the stock carb. you'll want to modify your airbox mounts so that it's closer to the carb.

The way I look at it, IF YOUR GONNA DO IT, THEN DO IT RIGHT. So far you are with the 505 kit, but spend the extra money on the right carb. You won't be dissapointed...

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Chad,

Call Tom and tell him to leave the Lectron off! That thing is a POS. Get the 41mm FCR. You don't want to lose your Accelerator pump. It has by far, the worst throttle response of any carb. Needs heavy modification to work right. And it likes to kick the airbox off alot! It's shorter than the stock carb. you'll want to modify your airbox mounts so that it's closer to the carb.

The way I look at it, IF YOUR GONNA DO IT, THEN DO IT RIGHT. So far you are with the 505 kit, but spend the extra money on the right carb. You won't be dissapointed...
I understand what your saying. Why would one of the best engine builders in the country use Lectron if they are *****? I have heard more good about FCR but why would Tom use Lectron if there no good???

Scott
03-01-2002, 08:38 AM
pro400 said something about the lectron's being hard to jet, aren't lectron's the ones that dont have jets, just adjustment screws?

jcv400ex
03-01-2002, 08:52 AM
Honestly, I don't know the real reason Tom uses them. My best guess, he builds race engines, so tuneability isn't a factor. He does all the wrenching. So he has more of an understanding of this carb than anyone in the States. And he rebuilds/cleans it after every race. That's the key to this carb performing time after time. It's alot of maintence.

And it's cheap. The bad thing about it is, it's either tuned in right for the bottom end or the top end. I haven't seen one on a quad yet that didn't have a stutter somewhere in the powerband. But Tom prob. knows other tricks that he can compansate for this. When I talked to him about it, his explanation was, "it's cheaper than all of the other carbs, and being exactly dialed in on a 4 stroke isn't too important when it comes to the carb" I don't buy that. I wouldn't want to spend $2500 on an engine and have a spot in the powerband where it's going to boggle.

The FCR you'll have more time in the initial setup, but once she's dialed in, it'll perform flawlessly.

Does his price include his exhaust also? If not, Hetricks exhaust for the 400ex is going to be the hottest ticket this season. The headpipe is a copy of Sparks X-6 and they tweaked the inlet dims to the muffler part alittle. It pulls so hard in the midrange, it's unbelievable. It would be an excellent match to your engine config. And at $375, it's one **** of a bargin!

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Honestly, I don't know the real reason Tom uses them. My best guess, he builds race engines, so tuneability isn't a factor. He does all the wrenching. So he has more of an understanding of this carb than anyone in the States. And he rebuilds/cleans it after every race. That's the key to this carb performing time after time. It's alot of maintence.

And it's cheap. The bad thing about it is, it's either tuned in right for the bottom end or the top end. I haven't seen one on a quad yet that didn't have a stutter somewhere in the powerband. But Tom prob. knows other tricks that he can compansate for this. When I talked to him about it, his explanation was, "it's cheaper than all of the other carbs, and being exactly dialed in on a 4 stroke isn't too important when it comes to the carb" I don't buy that. I wouldn't want to spend $2500 on an engine and have a spot in the powerband where it's going to boggle.

The FCR you'll have more time in the initial setup, but once she's dialed in, it'll perform flawlessly.

Does his price include his exhaust also? If not, Hetricks exhaust for the 400ex is going to be the hottest ticket this season. The headpipe is a copy of Sparks X-6 and they tweaked the inlet dims to the muffler part alittle. It pulls so hard in the midrange, it's unbelievable. It would be an excellent match to your engine config. And at $375, it's one **** of a bargin!
Thank you very much for telling me this. I have also posted another thread to see if anyone else has one of these carbs and what they think about it. As far as the exhaust the $2500 is NOT including a exhaust. I was just thinking about having Tom put his pipe on it. What do you think?? He said the Yoshi I have now is a GREAT pipe for a stock or mildly tuned engines but just DOESNT WORK when you get into the high horsepower applications like I am. Do you or anyone else know anything about the TC pipes
Thanks

jcv400ex
03-01-2002, 09:13 AM
Yes, you'll def. want to get a new pipe. With all the added power, your going to need a different exhaust with a aftermarket carb. The Yosh won't be able to keep up with the carb. His pipe is okay. It does the job. It's a chopped up Supertrapp exhaust. Like I said though, check out Hetricks. It's going to be a killer! www.hetricksracing.com. talk to Rich or Michelle. I'm going to have one by the end of April on mine. He just sold 18 of them, they should have more in stock in a couple of weeks. If you do call him, he has a nice race story from this past weekend with the exhaust on a 440ex.

Have Tom modify your stock rev limitor box also. If he doesn't, Hetricks sells one for $120 that starts in the cold. A customer's of his came in with a 400 that would not start with the XR box on it, Rich bolted his on and it fired right up.

Did you end up going with his race cam or woods cam? With the woods cam, you might be able to squeak by with the Yosh for awhile so you can decide on what to do about exhaust.

Scott
03-01-2002, 09:17 AM
2 friends/relatives have TC pipes on their 400's (one 400 and one 440) and they like them. They've gone through several other pipes including E series, supertrapp, and I don't remember what all else. Biggest thing about the TC is that it's short. Not going to get bent by someone hitting you in a corner. It's just a shortened head pipe and a cut down supertrapp with an open endcap. Nothing high tech.

For 500cc's and high rpm (drag racing) I'd bet that open unrestricted flow is going to be the name of the game. Nice big diameter head pipes and a smooth transition to the silencer and probably an open cap. But that's just a guess.

Hey Chad, ever consider coating them like Jet Hot or something similar. Keep the exhaust gasses hot and the exhaust flows better. Physics baby! PV=nRT See I did learn something in college other than beer drinking 101.

Would you really want to turn that engine higher than 8000 rpms? I know it's stroked, but would you NEED to wind it that tight? I don't know, I'm asking. If it's a 440cc bore with a longer stroke to get you to 500cc, it's not going to want to rev as fast as a shorter stroke engine. And it's not going to want to run 9000rpms, or at least that's what I understand from race engines in cars. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just asking so that I can learn as I go too. I find out something new on here everyday.

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Scott
2 friends/relatives have TC pipes on their 400's (one 400 and one 440) and they like them. They've gone through several other pipes including E series, supertrapp, and I don't remember what all else. Biggest thing about the TC is that it's short. Not going to get bent by someone hitting you in a corner. It's just a shortened head pipe and a cut down supertrapp with an open endcap. Nothing high tech.

For 500cc's and high rpm (drag racing) I'd bet that open unrestricted flow is going to be the name of the game. Nice big diameter head pipes and a smooth transition to the silencer and probably an open cap. But that's just a guess.

Hey Chad, ever consider coating them like Jet Hot or something similar. Keep the exhaust gasses hot and the exhaust flows better. Physics baby! PV=nRT See I did learn something in college other than beer drinking 101.

Would you really want to turn that engine higher than 8000 rpms? I know it's stroked, but would you NEED to wind it that tight? I don't know, I'm asking. If it's a 440cc bore with a longer stroke to get you to 500cc, it's not going to want to rev as fast as a shorter stroke engine. And it's not going to want to run 9000rpms, or at least that's what I understand from race engines in cars. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just asking so that I can learn as I go too. I find out something new on here everyday.
So the guys you know do like theirs?? Are they loud?? I like loud so thats fine. Yes I have considered Jet Hot coating. Trinity pipes come that way. But Im not getting a Trinity pipe on my TC motor!!! Do you know how much it would cost to have that done? Should I talk to Tom about it? I think I will get one of his pipes. About the rpm deal,,,I have no idea!!!

Scott
03-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Yes they both like their TC's. They've had them for a year or two.

Yes they are LOUD. Rattle your teeth loud, almost as bad as a DG RCM with no packing or baffle.

Don't have any idea on the price of ceramic coating, it was just something I was thinking about for mine. I'd be curious if anyone did know the price.

Hey Rico, didn't you say you had your headpipe coated? Internal, external, or both?

Dave400ex
03-01-2002, 03:17 PM
Well, My Brother got his TC Motor Parts today. The Guy that built the Engine said he got the Front End up in Fifth Gear. I can`t wait to see his 250R.

I have the TC Pipe and love it. Mine was $338 Shipped. I would get it. If you are going with TC Motor Work you want a TC Pipe. I`m one of those Guys that if you get Laeger A-Arms, you get a Laeger Swingarm and Steering Stem. I wouldn`t buy a Houser Swingarm. So I would get the TC Pipe and that`s what TC would tell you. TC likes the Stock Header Pipes the Best. He says they add the Most Torque. As far as the Rev Box goes, TC also has one that starts good in the Cold. The only thing I am a little worried about is the Lectron Carb. I think it will run good, but it`s a Pain to Adjust. If TC tells you to run it, I would get it, he`s not Doug Gust`s Engine Builder for no reason.

One last thing. Make sure he keeps his Word. Every time my Brother would call TC you kept adding Weeks on to the Wait. Then he told my Dad he was sending the stuff and we should have it soon. That was Three Weeks ago. He should be good to you. Just let me know. TC is the Way to Go.

Sorry I have to go, My Brother`s Home.

Dave400ex
03-01-2002, 07:01 PM
My Brother`s TC 250R is Awesome. That thing Flys. I can`t wait to see him on the MX Track. I would not want to Start againist him. His Motor is like the Motor Digger Doug Gust ran in 99. All he needs now is his Laeger Steering Stem, HandleBars, Break Lines, Laeger Swingarm, PEP Limited Mass Fronts, and the Limited Mass Rear Conversion. Man that`s a lot of Stuff.

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Well, My Brother got his TC Motor Parts today. The Guy that built the Engine said he got the Front End up in Fifth Gear. I can`t wait to see his 250R.

I have the TC Pipe and love it. Mine was $338 Shipped. I would get it. If you are going with TC Motor Work you want a TC Pipe. I`m one of those Guys that if you get Laeger A-Arms, you get a Laeger Swingarm and Steering Stem. I wouldn`t buy a Houser Swingarm. So I would get the TC Pipe and that`s what TC would tell you. TC likes the Stock Header Pipes the Best. He says they add the Most Torque. As far as the Rev Box goes, TC also has one that starts good in the Cold. The only thing I am a little worried about is the Lectron Carb. I think it will run good, but it`s a Pain to Adjust. If TC tells you to run it, I would get it, he`s not Doug Gust`s Engine Builder for no reason.

One last thing. Make sure he keeps his Word. Every time my Brother would call TC you kept adding Weeks on to the Wait. Then he told my Dad he was sending the stuff and we should have it soon. That was Three Weeks ago. He should be good to you. Just let me know. TC is the Way to Go.

Sorry I have to go, My Brother`s Home.
Well im definately going to get the TC pipe now. I have already sold my Yoshi full system for $300. So thats not gonna be too bad. I am spending a he!! of a lot of money with Tom, maybe I can get him to sell the pipe to me at cost. You think!! So does Tom use the stock headers??? Yeah he told me about that rev box he will use. The only thing i am worried about also is the Lectron carb. joe said he would sale me one so maybe I could get it a little cheaper than from him but Im worried because a lot of you are saying its a pain to adjust. Wish I knew what to do about the carb situation!

400exJOE
03-01-2002, 07:14 PM
I don't want to sound like I am trying to make the carb sound awsome because I am selling it, BUT Stevengates45 who drag races and seems to have a lot of experience with Lectrons seems to really like them. A lot of people on here seem to ride along with other people's opinions on topics they dont have a lot of experiece with. I think thats why there is so much negative feedback on the Lectrons. Again, you are sending your engine to TC and they use the Lectron carb so having the carb that the engine builder perfers to use might be an advantage on your part. Thanks, JOE

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by 400exJOE
I don't want to sound like I am trying to make the carb sound awsome because I am selling it, BUT Stevengates45 who drag races and seems to have a lot of experience with Lectrons seems to really like them. A lot of people on here seem to ride along with other people's opinions on topics they dont have a lot of experiece with. I think thats why there is so much negative feedback on the Lectrons. Again, you are sending your engine to TC and they use the Lectron carb so having the carb that the engine builder perfers to use might be an advantage on your part. Thanks, JOE
I think maybe you are right Joe. I also have a VERY VERY skilled mechanic that works on my bike and Im sure if I do have a problem he could probably fix it. He has one of the fastest R's in the country. At the drag races last weekend he smoked 2 420 Banshees on Alky both with nitrous. His ***** is fast!!!

jcv400ex
03-01-2002, 07:51 PM
I'm not only going on guy's words. I'm also speaking from experience. The carb flat out blows. I'm sorry, it does. I rode a quad that had just came out of the shop. Lectron all cleaned and re-adjusted. It performed well. We did about an hour of hard riding, and we put our quads away. Got up the next day, drove to the race, and the thing wouldn't idle, and had a real bad miss in the lower RPM's. We adjusted at best as we could, and he raced it. Needless to say, it's gone now. I'm telling you, it's way too much maintence! Give Laz a call out at GT Thunder. His engines are right up there with Tom's and he'll tell you what a POS it is. He wouldn't even sell one when a guy asked about it! Flat out he wouldn't put one on his engine cuz he know's the headache that comes along. Up to a 440, I'd go with the 39mm FCR, over that I'd go with the 41mm. Ask anyone on here that has one, hands down it's the best carb.

Really, the same goes for Tom's pipe. It's not just LOUD it's obnoxiously loud! It's gotta be one of the sickess sounding pipes out there. It's just a chopped up Supertrapp exhaust that doesn't fit right. For fit and finish and overall performance, go with a Sparks or the Hetrick pipe. Run after run, race after race, without a doubt either Hetricks or Sparks pipe will out perform TC's pipe. It's been proven on the track and in the backyards. Your not going to hurt Tom's feelings by not running his pipe. Post a new topic about what pipe would people recommend. Sparks, Hetricks, LRD, or TC's. You'll see...

But it's your money, I'm just telling you my experiences/findings over the last 2 years. I'd just want the most bang for my buck.

With all this said, I'm not bad mouthing Tom. By all means he builds some of the fastest and strongest motors. He's being doing this for years. I just question what he builds for the public. He builds race engines, not Rec. engines. His engines require alot of maintence. You need to tear them down and replace the rings, and other stuff. It's not for the person who wants to spend 90% of his time riding and 10% wrenching. It's the opposite.

400exJOE
03-01-2002, 07:59 PM
I am not calling you a liar and i don't want to start a fight about this, but GT Thunder has a dyno on their site with a lectron and a cam on a 400 compared to a stock 400 and it has some serious power over it. I also don't see why TC Racing would use the carb on ALL their engines they build if they were low quality. Many racers use this carb and don't seem to have problems with them. It is used on TC's cross country racers and they go through water and dust and everything you could imagine. Lectrons are also used snowmobiles, harleys, dirt bikes......so I don't see how they could be a bad product and have that good a reputation.

One last thing, how do you know the problem was caused by the carb anyways????

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Man this sucks. Everyone has got a different opinion on everything. Cant everybody just agree on the same thing that way I know whats best!!! That will never happen!!! As far as the pipe goes I think I will get a TC pipe. It would be goofy to have a TC 505 with a Sparks pipe or something else!! I like loud and so far I have heard good things about them from everybody who has one! As far as the carb goes, I still havent really decided what to do. I really wish I knew though!!

400exJOE
03-01-2002, 08:17 PM
If there is anything I can do to help you decide, let me know. All I can say to you is that this is THE carb that Tom and his company stand behind and use on the race quads which carry his name. The lectron gets used on every bike they build. The Suzuki DRZ440 powered mx quad that Doug Gust has ridden to many wins this past season was built by TC and featured a 38mm Lectron carb. I can't make the decision for you, but I think if there was a better carb for TC's set-ups, than they would use another carb. But they use Lectron carbs. Plus, you will be saving money buying it from me instead of TC. Thanks, and sorry this is getting so confusing! JOE

jcv400ex
03-01-2002, 08:35 PM
I know GTT has that on their website. But give Laz a call about it and see what he has to say.

I'm not saying that the carb does not work when it's dialed in. It does produce alot of power. But the carb was originally designed for 2 strokes along time ago. It's just old and out dated.

And only a handfull of the XC racers use it. Most are running bored out stock carbs for the pumper or the FCR. Tom will tell you that. It doesn't give your engine optium performance down low. It doesn't have that crisp throttle response either.

And yes all of Tom's "race" engines have them on it. But like any race engine, they are maintained after every race. That's my whole point to this. I don't know what Chad's plans are for the quad, race or rec. riding. And it all depends on what he wants. I'm just giving him my experiences and findings. I gave him a link to lectron's site in his carb post. He can give them a call if he wants and find out some more info.

Dave400ex
03-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Well, after seeing My Brother`s Engine and Hearing it Run, Go with TC. I can`t believe it. I want to Build my Engine now. Get the TC Pipe. I don`t care what anybody says, on all the Pipe Shootouts the Pipes are only 1 to 2 Horsepower different from each other. If you have a TC Motor, you run a TC Pipe. Yes TC uses the Stock Header. I didn`t have any Problems with getting my Pipe on. Just get it. I really don`t know much about the Carb. If you do get a Lectron, you will need a Bigger one then 400exJOE`s. I think TC knows what he is doing, but I will buy a 39mm FCR if I buy a Carb. Just get what you want. Let me Know if you have anymore Questions.

400exJOE
03-01-2002, 08:48 PM
intead of giving information that were not positive about, lets let Chad talk to Tom about what carb to go with. No offence, but Tom will know best. Also, the 38mm makes more horespower than the FCR 39mm and 41mm so I'm not sure how much size matters in this case. Thanks, JOE

Dave400ex
03-01-2002, 09:02 PM
I agree. Let Tom tell Chad, but we all know Tom will tell Chad to get a Lectron Carb. The 41mm FCR Carb Won the Overall though. I`m glad I`m not in Chad`s shoes. These are Hard Choices.

03-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Is it still for sale Chad? I so email me im interested in the whole head tell me how much like 450$?

ChadEXer
03-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I agree. Let Tom tell Chad, but we all know Tom will tell Chad to get a Lectron Carb. The 41mm FCR Carb Won the Overall though. I`m glad I`m not in Chad`s shoes. These are Hard Choices.
I wish I wasnt in Chad's shoes either. Damnit this sucks. Choices Choices Choices. Well I just talked to Tom and he said he will put the 41mm Lectron on my bike. He said I "gaurantee you" that the carb will be dialed in perfectly when you get it and It will be good for all year long. I may have to make a few adjustments after 1 year but he said I can do it or my mechanic can do it and if we ever have any problems with it call him and he will make sure the problem gets resolved. He said the 38mm would be too small for the 505. I gues I will trust Tom and get his Lectron. If it gives me fits Ill just hunt him down!!!! Well thanks for all your replies guys, and sorry Joe, I would have bought it from you but he says its too small. He said he will sale me his pipe for $300. So im getting it too.
Chad

ChadEXer
03-02-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by victor7279
Is it still for sale Chad? I so email me im interested in the whole head tell me how much like 450$?
Hey man if you want just email me at chad_honea@hotmail.com and we can discuss my 416 there
Thanks
Chad

Dave400ex
03-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Have you Sent your Motor yet? I think you will be Happy with the TC Pipe and I hope the Lectron Carb. I can`t wait to Hear about the 505. It`s going to be a Monster.

400MXer
03-02-2002, 01:03 PM
doesn't TC make a custom header for a big motor like that. I think i read somewhere that doug gust's ZUKI had a custom header pipe.

As for your carb issues, i think if the lectron was as much mateninace(SP.) as these people are saying, i wouldn't want it. but if tom, a very respected engine builder says you can get a whole season out of it then thats good. I would hate to clean my carb after every ride. I'm getting a 41FCR when i get mine. That's what bud recomends so that's what i'm gonna do. If your engine builder recomends something, that usaully means that he has tested it on his motors so he know's what works best for his setups. Like TC goes for lectron, Sparks goes for FCR, and lately Duncan is using Edelbrock.

Dave400ex
03-02-2002, 01:15 PM
I read that about Digger`s Headpipe Pipe too. I think the Custom Pipe was just for the DRZ. You could ask Tom about it Chad. I know he likes the Stock Header though.

ChadEXer
03-02-2002, 05:54 PM
I will ask him about the header next time I talk to him. My mechanic should have the motor out tommorrow. I would say it will be sent Mon at the latest. Man thats a long time to wait to get it back!! And I hope I can just trust him about the carb! I will let you guys know how it works out for me. Im gonna be anxious for a long time!!!!!!!

Dave400ex
03-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Yeah I can`t wait to hear about it. It should be Awesome. Now you need to work on your Chassis so it can Handle all that Power.

400MXer
03-03-2002, 12:42 AM
yeah, your gonna need to get some traction....definitly a longer swingarm will help you out a lot.

ChadEXer
03-03-2002, 11:55 AM
I am looking into the chassis now. Now that I got my motor sent out and I can stop worrying about it I will be getting me a extended swingarm and A'arms, shocks, extra set of sand tires, FST oil cooler, Braking rotors and pads all the way around(if I keep my front breaks) and getting new break lines. I am also going to take it to get the frame powdercoated next week. Also Im taking all the parts I can get off to get them chromed! . If they make it for a 400EX and i like it then Im gonna get it. I will have it all by the time I get my motor back! It wont just be the fastest, it will look damned good too!!(It better anyway) When I get the motor back and get her all together I will post some pics on here!

Dave400ex
03-03-2002, 01:28 PM
I would get Houser or Laeger A-Arms, Steering Stem, and Swingarm. For Shocks I would go with Elka, PEP, or Axis. Rather than that it Sounds like you are getting everything else. You are going to need that Stopping Power to slow that 505 Down. I can`t wait to see Pictures of it when it`s all Done.

Chef
03-03-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm glad that you didnt get that 500EX from FST for some reason...maybe because my bike is faster than that motor, WITHOUT alky.

I am also beginning to think that i got ripped off on how much money i have in my motor...but I haven't been beaten yet...by a 4-stroke, that is. How much was the trinity motor going to cost you? because the trinity EX's look like a joke at the end of the race after they line up next to me....I've only raced one TC bike, a 465, and he was the closest..about 3 bike lengths...

Dave400ex
03-03-2002, 02:03 PM
Have you raced any Sparks Quads?

See Chad, I told you to go with TC for a Reason.

TrX465
03-03-2002, 04:57 PM

bring it on baby ill have the new and improved 14:1 compression with a stroker crank:D i dont even race with 400's.....i would like there to be some more fast 400ex's people always try talking stuff saying how slow they are at the dunes....but i pick on the 700cc raptors and bombarierswith nitrous
*in which i beat*
;)

Sandragggen
03-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Let's face it, TRX400EX's are slow in raw form. Big bucks have to be spent to make them run with the big dogs. We are talking about maybe 60-65 poines here. What's so great about that? Knutz DS's are making more hp than that. Don't get me wrong, I love being the underdog and winning, but don't tell me that a well ridden, modded out 720 Raptor is gonna get beaten by a 60hp EX. Let the pipe cool off.

Dave400ex
03-03-2002, 07:54 PM
I think you Guys are to Worried about being the Fastest. I would be Mad if a 400EX beat me if I had a Raptor. In the Dunes it is who has the Most Money. Horsepower cost Money, and Some Guys have more of both then others.

Chef
03-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey TrX465, have you thought of being the first guy to have a 400 over 505? I have...I was thinking, if you get the sleeve from sparks that you have, bore it to like 94 or 95 mm, then stroke it, you would get like 520, why dont you do that? Thats what I want to do...:D

TrX465
03-03-2002, 10:29 PM
i know ill probubly try to see about a bigger piston.....and definitely stroke it......Im goin to run it easter and take a trip up to the cinders then im goin to take it apart and go to town....it WILL be done by Halloween.... and hey maybe a 720 raptor my catch me then dont forget i have the 580 banshee and cr500 in a 250r chasis so im not worried....

ChadEXer
03-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
I'm glad that you didnt get that 500EX from FST for some reason...maybe because my bike is faster than that motor, WITHOUT alky.

I am also beginning to think that i got ripped off on how much money i have in my motor...but I haven't been beaten yet...by a 4-stroke, that is. How much was the trinity motor going to cost you? because the trinity EX's look like a joke at the end of the race after they line up next to me....I've only raced one TC bike, a 465, and he was the closest..about 3 bike lengths...
I remember reading a post a while back and seeing where you posted a copy of the reciept for all your work. Man I think you did get ripped off. Trinity said the 465 would be anywhere from $2000 to $2500. Tom is doing the 505 for $2800. Thats including absolutely everything, carb, pipe and all. Even doing alky if I want(still dont know if I will or not yet) Just about everything I noticed you had on that reciept with the exception of a few of Toms Custom made parts. I remembered the first time I looked at your reciept and I though Damnit, my wife will never let me do that!!!!!! Well what can I say i finally talked her into it. I had to do a little somethin special but now she says I can get "whatever I want"!!!!! So mine is gonna get the works!! By tha way the "special" thing I had to do for my wife was, get her windows tinted, put some new carpet in the house and give her $1000 to buy anything she wants. He!! thats not bad. I had to give her about $1700 and she is letting me spend about $7000 on my 400. You gotta love that!!!!!!

ChadEXer
03-04-2002, 08:26 AM

Yessir. And Im glad I did.
No I havent raced any Sparks bikes, but my little girl raced a Sparks 465 on her E-Ton and she smoked it!!!!!!!j\\k. I respect Sparks very much and I know he knows his *****. Why else would it be Nov before he could even start on building a motor?????

ChadEXer
03-04-2002, 08:28 AM
Hey TrX465, have you thought of being the first guy to have a 400 over 505? I have...I was thinking, if you get the sleeve from sparks that you have, bore it to like 94 or 95 mm, then stroke it, you would get like 520, why dont you do that? Thats what I want to do...:D
Man!!! That would be crazy!!! Im already scared to death of having a 505. Im afraid Ill get it back and blow it up the first ride!!!! 505 is too big. 520,,,,,, damnit!!!!! Thats seams like a lot of stress on a 400!

Dave400ex
03-04-2002, 09:22 AM
HOTT440EX, I think you might of got Ripped Off. There`s no way a 505 Motor should be Cheaper then a 465.

Chad, you have a Very cool Wife. Sparks is one of the Best. That`s why his wait is so long. A 520 would be Crazy. I think a 465 is Crazy. It will fly though. I`m sure the 505 will run great.

TrX465
03-04-2002, 09:26 AM
A 520 would be cool ill do it....see what happens ill have to let her cool down alot even with alky

ChadEXer
03-04-2002, 09:46 AM
HOTT440EX, I think you might of got Ripped Off. There`s no way a 505 Motor should be Cheaper then a 465.

Chad, you have a Very cool Wife. Sparks is one of the Best. That`s why his wait is so long. A 520 would be Crazy. I think a 465 is Crazy. It will fly though. I`m sure the 505 will run great.
My wife is great!!! I hope the 505 will run great!! Yes Sparks is one of the best but it would be hard for me to wait that long!!

ChadEXer
03-04-2002, 09:48 AM
A 520 would be cool ill do it....see what happens ill have to let her cool down alot even with alky
Can you tell me a little about alky. Im thinking about running mine on it but i dont really know a lot about it. What are the cons of it. I know its supposed to generate more horsepower but what is the reliability and stuff like with alky?? is it worth doing. I need to know so I can get Tom to do it if thats what im gonna do!
thanks

Pro400EXC
03-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Scared of a 505?hehehe,thats funny,hehe J/k chad,I wish I had the money you do. But any ways,you want power?Get a Sparks 330R cyl for a 250r. I think that joker would rip you sockets out.

I am thinking of trading my 400ex for a nice R,and hook it up,cause I race Hariscramble and do alot of Drag racing and all,so I think a 310R would be good for me!

ChadEXer
03-05-2002, 07:38 AM
Scared of a 505?hehehe,thats funny,hehe J/k chad,I wish I had the money you do. But any ways,you want power?Get a Sparks 330R cyl for a 250r. I think that joker would rip you sockets out.

I am thinking of trading my 400ex for a nice R,and hook it up,cause I race Hariscramble and do alot of Drag racing and all,so I think a 310R would be good for me!
I definatley considered that and I even had the chance to buy an R cheap. But i figured(since my main thing is drag racing), you get an R and you will be in a VERY VERY tough class. You will be up against all the Banshees and all the other R's. My mechanic has a R with a 370 kit on it. I couldnt imagine ANY Banshee or R outruning him. I definately wouldnt wanna race him! He beat 3 of the fastest Banshees I have ever seen the other weekend. 2 of them were on NOS!! His ***** is bad!! I KNOW I will win in the 400 class. He!! I was outruning them all with my 416 that weekend!!

kabd69667
03-05-2002, 01:09 PM
I think w/ alky you have to drain the rest out of the tank when your done riding...i think i read that somewhere but i'm not sure

ChadEXer
03-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kabd69667
I think w/ alky you have to drain the rest out of the tank when your done riding...i think i read that somewhere but i'm not sure
im going to call Tom tommorrow and ask him about alky. He should get my motor tommorrow by the tracking number. It cost me $178 fuggin dollars to ship it!!!!!! Thats CRAZY!!!!

Dave400ex
03-05-2002, 04:08 PM
A 370R? Man, that thing would Kill. I would like to see one of those PSI 425`s. I bet those are Fast. You better be the Fastest with a 505. You should tell everybody you just have the 416. Then all the Raptor guys would be really Mad. $178 to Ship the Motor? Holy Crap. Let me know what Tom says. So what all comes with this Motor? I know Tom has a MX and XC Cam. Which one are you getting?

400MXer
03-05-2002, 04:55 PM
$178 to ship your motor.........how did you ship it, UPS, Priority mail....i think UPS does the best. i just sent my head, carb, cylinder, cam out and it only cost me $9.

ChadEXer
03-06-2002, 09:27 AM
A 370R? Man, that thing would Kill. I would like to see one of those PSI 425`s. I bet those are Fast. You better be the Fastest with a 505. You should tell everybody you just have the 416. Then all the Raptor guys would be really Mad. $178 to Ship the Motor? Holy Crap. Let me know what Tom says. So what all comes with this Motor? I know Tom has a MX and XC Cam. Which one are you getting?
I sent it 2 day Fed Ex with $4000 insurance. The difference in regular and 2 day was only $10 so I sent it 2 day. I sent the whole motor! Thats a fuggin rip off. I shouls have sent it UPS damned it! I will tell them I only have a 416. I was already thinkin about doing that!!!! I cant wait to eat some Craptor!!!

ChadEXer
03-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Tom said he would like the whole motor that way he can make sure everything is in good shape. A 505 will be a lot of stress on it!

Dave400ex
03-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Now comes the Hardest Part, The WAIT. Man that was a Hard thing for My Brother. It is all worth it though.

ChadEXer
03-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Yeap! Ill just be working on getting the rest of it fixed up till then. Im having an aluminum airbox built for it right now. My friend who has a machine shop says he can build one just like the pingry airbox. He said it will be $75 at the most. Thats a lot better than $199 from pingry.

Dave400ex
03-06-2002, 05:55 PM
I would like to get an Aluminum AirBox but none of them come with Lids. It is really Dusty around here in the Summer. I don`t want to Ride without a Lid. Plus I want to Race XC and don`t want Water or any of that Crap getting in there. If somebody would make a Lid for the AirBox, I would get one.

ChadEXer
03-06-2002, 06:02 PM
I would like to get an Aluminum AirBox but none of them come with Lids. It is really Dusty around here in the Summer. I don`t want to Ride without a Lid. Plus I want to Race XC and don`t want Water or any of that Crap getting in there. If somebody would make a Lid for the AirBox, I would get one.
DG makes an aluminum airbox with a lid except the lid has slots in it! He asked me if I wanted him to make a lid and I said no. I dont need one for the riding\racing I do!

Dave400ex
03-06-2002, 06:51 PM
I don`t think DG makes those AirBoxes anymore. Plus I don`t really like DG. I`ll just keep it Stock for now.

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 07:17 AM
I don`t think DG makes those AirBoxes anymore. Plus I don`t really like DG. I`ll just keep it Stock for now.
Me neither. The only thing I would like of theires is thoses frame guards they make. I was thinking about getting some. I could have my friend at the machine shop make some but he doesnt have anything to look at or go by to make em. My friend at the machine shop is going to make my airbox 1inch longer so the boot will stay on the carb better. I called Lectron. Of course they would say this but they said Lectron carbs are the EASIEST carbs of all of them to tune. Thats the way they designed them. He told me if I ever have ANY problem to call and they will help me fix it and if not they will buy me any other competitors carbs i want. Thats not bad!!!! I tried to talk them into sponsoring me but they said there sponsorship money is up for this year. Damnit!!!!! I just ordered me a Hinson clutch kit yesterday and I will be ordering some arms, swingarm and shocks sometime this week. Im gonna get +2+1 A-Arms and a +2 swingarm and im thinking probably Works shocks. I really dont need expensive shocks because my thing is drag racing! I cant believe my wife is letting me do all this. She has done her share of shoppoing too though!!!

03-07-2002, 08:44 AM
Chad your gonna need at least 3 extra chain links for your +2 swingarm buddy,,,,,just lettin ya know. I know the +1 1/4 needs 2 more links..what company you goin with on the arms and swingarm??

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 08:48 AM
Chad your gonna need at least 3 extra chain links for your +2 swingarm buddy,,,,,just lettin ya know. I know the +1 1/4 needs 2 more links..what company you goin with on the arms and swingarm??
Im pretty sure I will go with Houser. I am going to order me some sidewinder sprockets and chain here in a few minutes! They are one of the best arent they??

03-07-2002, 08:51 AM
yeah your goin with a good setup with sidewinder,,,you stayin with stock gearing??

I ordered me a 36 tooth for mine,,leaving the 15 up front,,gonna see how it does,,I'll know in about a week,,got the whole rearend tore off mine right now...:(

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 09:10 AM
yeah your goin with a good setup with sidewinder,,,you stayin with stock gearing??

I ordered me a 36 tooth for mine,,leaving the 15 up front,,gonna see how it does,,I'll know in about a week,,got the whole rearend tore off mine right now...:(
Man I sure hope that setup works because I just called Sidewinder and ordered a 15/36 setup. Chain and sprockets cost me $200. I wanted to stay 15 up front so I can run my case saver. Especially with a 505!! John at Sidewider says the 36 rear is right between a 16 and 15 front. That should be perfect. I know the 16t up front seemed just a little too high for my 416! But that was drag racing. Trail riding wasnt too bad. I got a non o-ring chain(14,000# tensile strength). chromoloy front sprocket and a anodized billet rear sprocket!!! He said this was the exact setup Doug Gust runs on his 400EX!!

kabd69667
03-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Don't you got a limit on that credit card?

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 01:11 PM
Don't you got a limit on that credit card?
Its a DEBIT card Mastercard straight out of my bank account. THERE IS NO LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 01:13 PM
By the way you can go to my company website and look around. VERY VERY wealthy company. I Luv my job$$$$$
www.agentexinc.com

Scott
03-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Warriorman: Chack with PRoFabATV and ask him about a B&M Racing aluminum airbox. Tell him you want one with a lid. He should be able to hook you up, and not kill your wallet.

B&M is a friend I ride with/used to work with. I know he's made aluminum airbox/battery boxes because I've seen them on 3 or 4 bikes I ride with, including his own.

03-07-2002, 02:00 PM
IF scotts buddy can't help ya,,get with bigbore81,,I'm waiting on one of his airboxes to arrive any day,,,and I think for an extra $15 he'll make a lid for them...mine has no lid with it.

Scott
03-07-2002, 02:09 PM
Hey, check the price with both, and go with the lowest bidder. I would if it was my money.

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 02:13 PM
Rico how much did he charge you for it? What about ProFab Scott? What do they charge??

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Oh yeah. Whats the point of putting the battery in the airbox???

kabd69667
03-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Wow...Your going to do almost every modification in like a matter a of a few months or weeks

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 03:55 PM
Wow...Your going to do almost every modification in like a matter a of a few months or weeks
I have had it for almost 3 months and ive spent about $10000 on it already. Most of that was fixin her up. She was a big POS when I got her. For example almost ALL the bolts were missing. I had to tap all the threads because the guy that had it before me tried to put standard bolts in all the metric holes!!!!! I spent quite a bit just fixing minor things. My motor finally made it to Tom. Now just gotta wait till he can get to it
www.fedex.com
tracking # 833267959290
:D

Chef
03-07-2002, 04:47 PM
If all your doing is drag racing, then get like a +4 or 6 swingarm. A +2 almost isn't enough on my bike...actually, if i could do it over, i would have gotten a +6..and chrome

Dave400ex
03-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Chad, that`s good to hear about the Lectron. They must think their Carbs are good if they will buy you another Brand of Carb if the Lectron doesn`t work worth Crap. I`ve heard things about the Carbs, but I want to wait and see what you think about it.

Good Choice going with Houser. Are you going to get a Steering Stem too? I would get Elka Shocks though. You can get them really fast and you could have ZPS. Plus you can get Comp. Adjust and Reb. Adjust if you want them. I think the Elka Triple Rate SSD Comp. Adjust Fronts are around $750. You can have your Stock Rear Shock Rebuilt by Elka for around $285. I think that`s what I`m going to do.

Right now I am not worried about a AirBox. I would like to get one someday though. I`ll have to check into B&M Racing and BigBore 81 when I get one. I will not Ride without a Lid. How much is the B&M Racing and BigBore 81 AirBoxes? Chad, the AirBoxes are made to put the Battery inside for better Protection of the Battery and I think it helps even out the Weight Placement on the Rear End.

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 05:03 PM
If all your doing is drag racing, then get like a +4 or 6 swingarm. A +2 almost isn't enough on my bike...actually, if i could do it over, i would have gotten a +6..and chrome
Your right. Im glad I havent ordered them yet. I will probably get +4 then. I dont really want it too long because I do do some trail riding every once in a while! +4 swingarm and +2+1 a-arms should be just right!

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Chad, that`s good to hear about the Lectron. They must think their Carbs are good if they will buy you another Brand of Carb if the Lectron doesn`t work worth Crap. I`ve heard things about the Carbs, but I want to wait and see what you think about it.

Good Choice going with Houser. Are you going to get a Steering Stem too? I would get Elka Shocks though. You can get them really fast and you could have ZPS. Plus you can get Comp. Adjust and Reb. Adjust if you want them. I think the Elka Triple Rate SSD Comp. Adjust Fronts are around $750. You can have your Stock Rear Shock Rebuilt by Elka for around $285. I think that`s what I`m going to do.

Right now I am not worried about a AirBox. I would like to get one someday though. I`ll have to check into B&M Racing and BigBore 81 when I get one. I will not Ride without a Lid. How much is the B&M Racing and BigBore 81 AirBoxes? Chad, the AirBoxes are made to put the Battery inside for better Protection of the Battery and I think it helps even out the Weight Placement on the Rear End.
Now I can stop worrying about the Lectron so much!!! Yes I will probably get a steering stem too. As far as the shocks Im not really sure what kind im gonna get yet honestly. I got plenty of time to decide. I just got off the phone with Tom and asked him about setting my 400 up with alky. He said he will if I want but he dont really recommend it. He said alky over regular fuel will add about a 15% gain but with the racing fuels that are made today it would be 10% or less. And also he said alky has acidic properties and I could get on it to ride one day and the throttle could be rusted. I told him I will just run VP C14!!!

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 05:15 PM
Hey HOTT440EX. i noticed in your sig you show that you have your K&N mounted directly to your carb. How do you do that?? Im thinking about maybe doing that with mine??

Chef
03-07-2002, 05:18 PM
you just get a k&n that isnt solid on the end and is the right size. I just got a little aluminum bracket thing in a kit from somewhere..., i think james lucky?

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 05:44 PM
you just get a k&n that isnt solid on the end and is the right size. I just got a little aluminum bracket thing in a kit from somewhere..., i think james lucky?
So you got the kit from James lucky?? I am looking for an airbox elimination kit. Is that what that is??

Chef
03-07-2002, 05:48 PM
yep. It eliminates the air box...its in dirtwheels for sure

ChadEXer
03-07-2002, 05:53 PM
yep. It eliminates the air box...its in dirtwheels for sure
Which issue???

Chef
03-07-2002, 05:54 PM
probably any issue...

Scott
03-08-2002, 06:37 AM
Chad or anyone else looking for one: I took a look at ProFab's website and it wasn't one of the items pictured on there, so just use the parts locator at the bottom of the page and Scott (not me, Scott Smith) will email you back. Normally he gets back to you the next day.

3 years ago I wouldn't have sent my lawnmower , let alone my quad, in there unless Scott was going to be the one personally doing the work. Now I think he's got a pretty good shop. Just my opinion. From my other posts you guys can see that if I think something is a rip-off, I tell everyone up front about it. (example, anti-fade nut)

ChadEXer
03-08-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks Hott440 I found it. Now I have to decide if I want to get the airbox eliminator or have me an aluminum airbox made for $75! Tom said he dont really like the airbox eliminator becuase it will mess up all the work he doing. I guess he means it lets too much dirt in. But I figure maybe I could run 2 Outerwears around it and it would be OK????

Chef
03-08-2002, 08:38 AM
Yea, just run some extra protection...lol, your air filter is wearing protection...

Dave400ex
03-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Chad, I would ask TC about the Two Outerwears thing. If he says to run a AirBox I would run one. I don`t see what is wrong with running a AirBox. You will get more AirFlow and save some Weight by not running a AirBox, but with it your Filter won`t get near as Dirty.

ChadEXer
03-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Chad, I would ask TC about the Two Outerwears thing. If he says to run a AirBox I would run one. I don`t see what is wrong with running a AirBox. You will get more AirFlow and save some Weight by not running a AirBox, but with it your Filter won`t get near as Dirty.
Ive decided to just have me an aluminum one made!! You dont know anybody who wants to sell a subframe do you?? Im going to try to tear my bike the rest of the way apart tommorrow and send my frame to chris waters to be powder coated black prism. My subframe is bent so I need to get a nerw one first. Then Im going to get red powder coated Houser +2+1 a-arms and a +4 swingarm. Im going to get me some white Fullbore plastic. My quad will be all Red and Black and White. Im going to see if the Factory Effex graphics kit will work on Fullbore plastic and get me another kit to go on it if it will!! So I will probably be selling my Brand New Factory plastic with a Factory Effex graphics kit that I bought just not too long ago here pretty soon!!! White plastic with black\red graphics and black and red frame should look pretty nice!!!!

Dave400ex
03-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Are you going to have any Mods done to your Frame? I think Yellow Plastic would look Sweet. That`s how the Duncan 440EX`s are. They look Awesome.

ChadEXer
03-08-2002, 06:05 PM
Are you going to have any Mods done to your Frame? I think Yellow Plastic would look Sweet. That`s how the Duncan 440EX`s are. They look Awesome.
I think ive decided on white. I considered Yellow but I want mine to be different!!! Not many people have white! Ill probably just keep the frame like it is!

Dave400ex
03-08-2002, 06:19 PM
The White should look Cool. I haven`t seen to many White 400EX`s. You will be Different for Sure. If you just Drag Race I guess you don`t need to do anything to the Frame.

ChadEXer
03-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Well other than drag racing I do ride pretty aggressive and get some good jumps in but hopefully I wont have any problems! I havent yet besides a guy wrecking into the side of my quad bending my brand new AC Pro Pegs and my subframe all the way into my chain!!!! You know anybody that has a subframe for sale???

Dave400ex
03-08-2002, 06:32 PM
I don`t think you will have any Problems with the Frame. I would be Really Mad if a Guy hit me. I`m not sure what I would do to him. I don`t know anybody that has a SubFrame for Sell. Check Ebay, AtvSource, and ATV Connection. There has to be one out there some where. I don`t think New Stock SubFrames are very Expensive.

03-08-2002, 07:03 PM
I think a new subframe is $122....:blah

Dave400ex
03-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Thank You Rico. Chad, if a New SubFrame is only $122 I think that would be the way to go. I would be a little worried about Buying a Used SubFrame when they are known for Bending and Cracking easy.

ChadEXer
03-09-2002, 05:15 PM
Thank You Rico. Chad, if a New SubFrame is only $122 I think that would be the way to go. I would be a little worried about Buying a Used SubFrame when they are known for Bending and Cracking easy.
I think I have found a used one very cheap!!! I seen a pic of it and it looks great. ill let you know what happens!!!

Dave400ex
03-09-2002, 09:14 PM
OK. I hope it`s not Cracked or Bent.

Sandragggen
03-10-2002, 07:52 AM
Chad....Here is a site that you might be interested to see. Those 505's, will no doubt create alot of heat. Swain Tech will put a thermal coating on heat stressed parts. Check it out....http://swaintech.com/price.html

Jay