PDA

View Full Version : proper break in period for a bore kit

QuadJunkies
02-02-2004, 11:49 AM
I should be getting my quad back from the shop the end of this week and hopefully getting to break it in on Fri and Sat:blah: :macho But I need to know the PROPER way to break it in? How to and how many hours ect... I have a race on Feb. 20th and 21st so I need to get right on it just as soon as it is ready...... Anyone know of any info sites about this or any good links? I wanna make sure I do this right........ Mods are in my Sig..;) Thanks everyone! BTW. tis not for the Predator its for a 426 Big Bore:D

Paul400ex2002
02-02-2004, 11:57 AM
if you put a new cam in it, then ride it around for 20-30 minutes someplace flat, don't rev it much over about 1/3-1/2 throttle and avoid putting a load on the motor. That will get the cam seated in good. Also makes sure to do several complete heat up and cool down cycles. Next, take it out, and ride the piss out of it for a day, ride it like you would race it. Then change your oil to a nice 20w50 and change the filter and you're good to go.

Aceman
02-03-2004, 07:50 AM
They will probably write you a note for proper break-in on your receipt. That is what they did on my Profab kit. I don't think they would install a kit without giving the customer the steps for a proper break-in.

dirtmomma
02-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Well Tina I didn't do a major big bore kit but when we did my 300 what we did was started it up let it warm up, then shut it down to cool off, did that a couple times then took it out & rode it around nothing past 3/4 throttle, & not at steady throttle. Pretty much the way Paul was saying. Then I took it out on our practice track & RODE IT LIKE I STOLE IT :blah: & havne't had ANY problems w/ it!! OH I can't wait to see what you think of that kit, I think I pretty much have Ron talked into the 400 :devil: sooooo now it's time to put the kit in it!! she's a smokin' now I think it's time hehehe. Did I tell you that we're thinking about getting a450r:eek: that'll be ron's trail bike & I may get to race it next season @ Monroe :devil: hehehe look out now!!!

02-03-2004, 08:53 AM
3 periods of riding no more than 1/2 throttle and let the motor cool all the way down between each ride.. 4th time out is hammer down.

Sparks racing also has a good little article on breaking in a freshly built motor..

QuadJunkies
02-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Tnhanks Rico, that was what I was looking for was some literature on the topic.... This is how we broke in the Predaotr and assumed it would be the same,but wanted to make sure....(cant tell Im excited about it or anything can ya?:p :D :blah: )Yeah, Kym you told me you lucky Dog!!! That pimped out 400 willl rip your Arms off when its done!!:eek: :macho And Ron..Well, he a lucky guy to have the new Honda..... Wish I did.......As bad as you all may think of me for saying this, but after riding the Yami450 the other night.........I REALLY wish I could have one of those...:cool: That thing I bet would be a blast WOT on sand this summer!! Tnanks Ill let ya know when the 426 is all done,hope its im pressive to ride as well

jtej
02-03-2004, 11:35 AM
The way i break them in:D

Break in Secrets (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

BIGRED400
02-03-2004, 12:21 PM
I broke in my 416 at 3000 rpm for 20 minutes to break the cam in then I changed the oil and filter and then............. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
she runs good , I think the clearance's by today's standards like this better than the way of old break-in procedures.

QuadJunkies
02-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks Guys.....!!!:) I made a copy of the link, Ill run it past my Mechanic and see what he thinks........;)

02-03-2004, 12:49 PM
The information given seems good. I spoke to my girlfriend's father who has built engines for Indy Cars and has raced at all levels since the 60's and his opnion on break in was similar to the described with the added mention that when you let off the throttle, try not to just let it drop down to idle. As you let off, slightly apply the breaks to maintain a very slight load on the motor. Most improtantly though, don't baby it. Don't hammer on it as well, but if you try to baby the thing it will never run as strong as it is capable of.
Good luck!

BIGRED400
02-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Worked for me, I've whipped Raptor's,Piped Banshee's, Z400....the Raptor walked me down in top speed though.but I was still a proud daddy of the lil 416:D

TCracin440ex
02-03-2004, 01:16 PM
ive broke all my bikes in the way mototune suggested....

Evan400ex
02-03-2004, 01:49 PM
I just got my 416 back from the shop that built mine. All they said to do is let the motor cool for a few cycles the first day out and take it easy. I did that this past saturday now it is time to change my oil. Then I can see what she can do.:eek2:

JD400exrider
02-03-2004, 03:09 PM
However you break it in don't be afraid to change the oil a few times before as Rico would say Put The Hammer Down. I changed the oil and filter two - three times before a long full ride. Might have been a little much but you will see some chavings for sure on the first change.

QuadJunkies
02-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Evan400ex
I just got my 416 back from the shop that built mine. All they said to do is let the motor cool for a few cycles the first day out and take it easy. I did that this past saturday now it is time to change my oil. Then I can see what she can do.:eek2: I think that is what my Mechanic is going to tell me also, I dont think he will agree with the other method:confused: . none of the other shops here agree either........ Talk about confusing.......:huh

seven
02-04-2004, 05:51 AM
Just take it out and race it to break it in. You will be buying the YFZ450 before it breaks down anyway!:D

QuadJunkies
02-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by seven
Just take it out and race it to break it in. You will be buying the YFZ450 before it breaks down anyway!:D LOL!!!!:p I WISH!:blah: