PDA

View Full Version : raptor sputters and backfires

foleyit
02-02-2004, 10:56 AM
I did a search and there wasn't much info on the raptor carbs, not that I was expecting a whole lot.

My buddy's raptor has a WB e-series slip-on, and pro-flow intake kit (still running lid).

These are current results after cleaning the carbs. The thing is that the raptor had ran just fine before (back in Nov.). I read something about the boots blowing off, I checked those along with all of the vacuum hoses and everything is accounted for. Living in Southern CA, we shouldn't have to worry about changing the jets or fuel mixture settings.

Here's the problem -- The raptor runs good with the choke on. After the quad is all warmed up, we turn the choke off and the quad idles for about 15-25 secs then dies. When we turn off the choke, and start giving it some gas it will sputter. When riding, it sputters when gradually giving it some gas, in the middle of the thumb-throttle throw it is fine, and it back fires when letting off.

Dune Surfer
02-02-2004, 11:33 AM
My pred has the same carb and if you added a pipe and pro flow you WILL need to rejet. I live in vista and my pred ran like crap until I got the jetting right. sounds like maybe a jet is clogged.

foleyit
02-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
My pred has the same carb and if you added a pipe and pro flow you WILL need to rejet. I live in vista and my pred ran like crap until I got the jetting right. sounds like maybe a jet is clogged.

It was already been running fine with the pipe and pro-flow intake, and current jetting. The quad has just been sitting now for about 2 mos and now it is running like crap. I had already gone though the carbs and cleaned the jets, drained the gas tank, and put in some new fuel. Something I need to add, I didn't have any gas containers that we're empty so we put in some 101 Trick Fuel. That shouldn't be a problem?

CatMostFeared
02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Make sure
you dont have bad gas or water in it.
check your reverse saftey switch and the parking brake switch,they will make it sputter.
It sounds like theres dirt in your carbs.

raptorrider
02-06-2004, 11:08 AM
check the plug.

foleyit
02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Had cleaned the carbs again, put in new spark plug, checked the reverse switch, and parking brake and still ran like crap.

My buddy and I felt that it was pretty much beyond our knowledge at this point, so it is off to the shop.

Mr.Offroad
02-08-2004, 06:07 PM
If and when you can get it going again, I will guarantee it needs to be re-jetted. Those dang Raptors are VERY finniky about that. All I did was put a K&N filter on, and cut the little rubber flappies out of the air intake, and it started running lean. It wasn't enough to make it run rough, but it sure robbed power. Yours honestly sounds like a plugged jet or two. I've had my Hondas react similar to that when the idle jet got plugged. Pull 'em off, clean 'em out, and re-jet 'em to the new pipe and airbox, and that thing will rock!:eek2:

blasterboi19
02-09-2004, 11:23 AM
i agree my bro had the same problem with his 400ex. got the slip on from Procircut, started to back fire and sputter. rejet and its beauti now...its needs to be rejet. if you dont know how to rejet bring to someone who does. dont fool with that stuff. you can seriously damage something. (like the jet pin). dont drop the pin, you'll never find it.. we learned the hard way...haha
:devil: