PDA

View Full Version : Sled electrical prob

4TraxRider
02-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Hey guy's, I've got a mint condition 75' Arctic Cat Panther weve had for a long time in the family. It's got 560 original miles on it. Original skags and everything. It's perfect, except for one problem. It has intermitant spark. You can ride it, and it'll just die, and you can pull all you want, and no spark. Then a day or two later it'll run for another 2 or three days with no problems then stop again without any warning. The light also burns out quite frequently. I replaced the plug wires but that wasn't the problem, but they needed it anyway. If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear from you, weve taken it all over and nobody wants to work on it because it's so old. I don't want to spend 1000 on it for someone to diagnose it and fix it. Any ideas are appreciated, thanks a lot.

TheX1992
02-02-2004, 11:32 AM
sounds like something might be getting wet? if you have to let it sit for 2 days it sounds like it needs time to dry out. check wire connections and make sure nothing is exposed.

cracer250
02-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Check your voltage regulator. If your headlight are burning out, they are getting too much voltage. Also, If this is a twin, check your coils. You might have a crack where moisure is getting in. Replace them.

This is why I got out of snowmobiles. Too much work and money!!!

ReconRider25
02-02-2004, 01:26 PM
did you even check the plugs? or replace them? hows the kill switch and ignition switch? are they working correctly? and im guessing this has the kawasaki engine in it?

tinner
02-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Now, when you are riding it, how long will it run for ? Does it die when it just gets warmed up ? If you have a service manual for the machine go into the electrical section of the book and check and see what your ignition coil on the stator should ohm out at. If you can, check it when the machine is hot ( a short may not show up when it is cold)and when it is cold. You will be able to access these wires without taking anything apart. You just have to disconnect the plug that comes out of the crank case and know which wires are which. The wire colors should be shown in the schematic. If you don't have a manual, cross your fingers and hope the local cat dealer has any info going that far back, otherwise check ebay for the manual. Otherwise, if this isn't the problem, I would look into the cdi or coils on this one and see what they should ohm out at. This machine, being a '75 has the Kawi engine. '76 and later are Suzuki powered. It has been a long time since I have seen a panther of this year....much less under the hood. Good luck.

MOFO
02-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by cracer250
Check your voltage regulator. If your headlight are burning out, they are getting too much voltage. Also, If this is a twin, check your coils. You might have a crack where moisure is getting in. Replace them.

This is why I got out of snowmobiles. Too much work and money!!!

Sounds like this is the problem... with the headlight burning out all of the time is a sure sign that the regulator is going bad. If it is going bad, it could also be causing your spark problem. I would also go over the coils and wires as well.

One of my friends has a few older sleds from the late 70's that we ride (if we can get them working) and the two main problems are regulators and fuel system being clogged up.

4TraxRider
02-02-2004, 03:33 PM
I've checked the plugs and stuff like that, and also rewired the killswitch and key twice. I guess i'm on to the regulator, like CRracer250 and MOFO said. It can't be moisture, it does it in the summer too. It has no time limit on how long it will run, one ride will be 5 mins and the next it will run fine for a week. And it does have the Kawi twin 340, that we just rebuilt two years ago, and when it runs it runs perfect. I just hate to see it sitting there all the time and only being ridden around the yard if I can take it out. Thanks a lot guys, any more input would be great.

MOFO
02-02-2004, 03:40 PM
What you could do is get a multi meter and when it is running, check your 12v power... see what it is reading.... make sure you check BEFORE the coil.