PDA

View Full Version : decided to shorten my silencer...

hondarider2006
02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
well I have decided to shorten my wb e-series, and I found the link in the f.a.q. section on how to do it. I was going to take off 4-5 inches, and run no disks and a turn down end cap. Can someone tell me how much louder this will be, and I know that I will have to re-jet seeing as how it will be richer.(someone correct me if I am wrong) Also how do I tap new threads so I can screw my end cap back on, and will I have to get shorter bolts b/c I won't be running any disks?

Thanks -Nick-

2004TRX450R
02-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Why?:huh

hondarider2006
02-02-2004, 03:28 PM
sick of it getting packed full of grass and dirt....so I am gonna take some of it off.....I think I might just stick with the regular end cap and no disks.

JDiablo
02-02-2004, 04:55 PM
ive heard it will make it louder,and yet again i heard it doesnt make "that" much of a diffrence in sound,and how to tap new threads you will have to go to a local hardware store and buy a tap set,just ask them for it and they should know what your talking about and make sure you get the right size tapper..peace

mustang93
02-02-2004, 05:36 PM
it would probably be easier if you just extended the grab bar a little

02-02-2004, 05:43 PM
yeh but then ur sliencer is still too long and might get hit by sumtin just shorten it.

hondarider2006
02-02-2004, 05:45 PM
right now I am running all 12 disks that it came with, but no spark arrestor. So the disks arn't really doing anything. If I take them out, would it still be the same as if they were in, or are they actualy doing somthing, even though there is no spark arrestor?

JOEX
02-02-2004, 05:55 PM
If you are flipping it back that often, either learn how to ride it better or change the gearing. JMO;)

If you do decide to cut, there shouldn't be any tapping involved. You will have to drill new holes for the rivits though.

I don't think the discs make a difference if there isn't a spark arrestor.

Joe

2004TRX450R
02-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
If you are flipping it back that often, either learn how to ride it better or change the gearing. JMO;)

I'll second that!

02-02-2004, 06:21 PM
maybe he likes to do wheelies ;) :eek2:

hondarider2006
02-02-2004, 10:28 PM
I have only got it full of stuff a few times from doing wheelies...but I am going to be racing this summer, and that is a concern also. I also want it louder....and I know I am going to get a lot of people on here saying WHY IN THE **** DO YOU WANT IT LOUDER?? noise polution isn't a deal here, I mean dear god its North Pole, Alaska. I think the nearest member on here to me is Jim, and he's like 450 miles away, so please don't make this thread a flame fest b/c I want my 400 to be loud. If I had the money I would buy a TC racing pipe, but right now cutting it and spending $5 on new packing is a lot more in my budget than a whole new pipe. btw, thank you everyone for your help:)

2004TRX450R
02-03-2004, 01:28 AM
Not trying to flame just trying to understand your thinking. You do realize by shortening it you are messing with the tuned length of the system and could loose some power from it? Also why spend $5.00 on packing if you want it loud?

hondarider2006
02-03-2004, 10:23 AM
from what I have read, I thought you would gain some low end power?? Maybe I will just remove all of the disks and run a open end cap with no spark arrestor and leave the pipe where its at....

mustang
02-03-2004, 11:31 AM
that sounds like a better idea. if you dont mind the noise thats what i would do

INFANTRY RACING
02-03-2004, 09:41 PM
it will be louder since the will be less packing to dampen the sound. i run a hetricks exhaust with 2" cut off and it's loud but i only race so who cares. but if i were you i'd chop it but run like 18 disks and your spark arrestor. noise might not bother you but it does bother others and animals. tread lightly

hondarider2006
02-03-2004, 09:49 PM
I just decided to take off all of the disks and run an open end cap. Seems to run great!

tprender
02-04-2004, 07:05 AM
I took about 1 1/2 to 2 in off of my e-series. I am still running the S/A with 13 disc's and it is not that loud. On a 4-st the length is not as important as it is on a 2-st from what I was told beofre I cut mine. You will also have to cut the center piece inside also, no big deal. Like someone said you will just move the end piece and put new pop rivits in for the end cap.

honda416exman
02-04-2004, 11:19 AM
~Honda Rider~ I use to have a 01 honda 300ex, pretty modded. I had the all chrome LRD full system, a base my quad totally on racing, I read up about doing this and I took about five inches off it.
: Ya it was louder, (Deeper) sounding
: And its safe to say it greatly increased bottom end, and it reaced top speed quicker.
:Didn't need to re-jet.

If you search for my name you will find my post cut silencer??? It has pics and info to back your decision up.

Well do whatever you think is best, and well you know my opinion.

Hope I could help
Josh

hondarider2006
02-04-2004, 02:07 PM
I am just afraid that I will cut it and mess up. Seeing as how that is the only pipe I have, I would be pretty screwed if I messed it up. I think it should be find w/o any disks and I can just run it like that. I now have a new problem......I had to mess with my needle, and I got it to run perfect at the 2nd notch with the washer under the e-clip(this is a dj needle) and 2 turns out on the mixture screw with 42 piolet. Now the 400 runs great, until I get into deep snow. I noticed when I pulled it into the garage to mess with hte carb, that there was some snow in the air box. So I pushed the snorkle in more and tightened it as much as possible. When I get into deep snow, after I get back out on the road, it runs pretty crapy and does not want to idle. What should I look for? I can't seem to find the problem...so any help would be great!!! Thanks for all the help guys -Nick-

tprender
02-04-2004, 07:07 PM
This just an idea, but try draining your float bowl. Maybe some snow(water) is in the carb.

hondarider2006
02-04-2004, 08:19 PM
if I let it sit....it will be fine. I don't think there is anything in the float bowl...and I just had it apart last night...and I made sure everything was tight...Should I just take the snorkel off and plug the hole and run an open airbox lid in the winter?