PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate on/off switch, relocate hot start

900rracer
02-01-2004, 08:18 PM
I was able to eliminate my on/off switch and relocate the hot start button. I took the parking brake off, and installed the hot start button in place of the parking brake cable. I had to make some "custom" (redneck engineering) mods, but I made it work. I can pull the hot start with my pointer finger just above the clutch lever. Now I can eliminate that boxy on/off switch and headlight switch as well. I race MX so I don't need lights.

I do have a question if anyone knows, the 4 wires that come from the key switch, how do you wire them into a tether switch. I read my shop manual and it looks like you splice the red and black wire together, and use your tether to interrupt the green wire and the black/white wire. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? I have not done it yet. I know the on/off switch uses the green and black/white wires to interrupt. When they are apart (tether switch engaged) the bike runs, when you connect them (pull tether cord off) it shuts down. Any help, I'd appreciate it!

Kevin

kbass24emtp
02-01-2004, 09:13 PM
NO, just take one of the wires and ground it to something and take the other and attach it to one of the plugs on your coil. No splicing required. Hope this helps.

quadrcr161
02-01-2004, 09:51 PM
i also believe the crf perch and lever will bolt and hold everything for the hot start.

2004TRX450R
02-02-2004, 12:20 AM
You can get the CRF clutch perch and it will have the hot start lever built in. Also on the ign. switch you should be able to just disconnect it and have it run. The two wires that have continuity when ON are just for the ligting system. The only other thing it controls that may be an issue is the carb warmer. I don't recall for sure but it might send power to the fan as well but I'd have to look it up again but I don't think it does. If you are raceing you probbly don't need the fan anyway and will probbly ditch it for less weight. On the kill switch just hook the black/white wire and the green wire to the kill switch and that should do it.

900rracer
02-02-2004, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. I just wasn't sure how to wire evertyhing.

900rracer
02-02-2004, 07:53 PM
I just unplugged the key switch and took it off. took off the on/off/light switch and spliced my tether switch in between the green and the black/white wires. It works great.

TCracin440ex
02-03-2004, 03:41 PM
http://www.magicracing.com/myProducts.cfm?CFID=957307&CFTOKEN=64805004&productID=304&display=detail&categoryID=165&name=Works%20Connection&filterFor=

this would be good for the hot start

Honda
02-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Yea! Those are Very nice, Reminds me of the unit that AVS makes, only has the Hot Switch.

4fiddyR
02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Do those works connectionlevers and perches move as easy as RTC???

Honda
02-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Bringin this one back to life.

quadrcr161
02-09-2004, 02:55 PM
those are nice levers, but $150???? youve got to be kidding me. some one should at least throw in free lube and the reach around. ill stick with the CRF stock perch.