PDA

View Full Version : Re-Drill bolt pattern

Berry
02-01-2004, 07:18 PM
my rear nuts come loose on my rim the other day and wore out the holes where my normal bolt pattern is. so i was thinking i might drill out a new bolt pattern so i dont have too replace the rim because if i dont fix it im going too have too replace the rim so i guess i got nothing too loose. so what are tips on re drilling my bolt pattern? how do i line them up to be identicle to each other and what do i use too drill it out without haveing to have my tire off the rim?

250rider
02-02-2004, 01:37 PM
best thing and the only thing that u should really use is a drill press. just when u mark the studs out make sure that u get dead center of the whole, that way or just put the hub on the rim and and trace every one, this is not a good idea bc if u r off by like less then a centimeter the whole tire will jump up and down on u when u go fast.

02-02-2004, 02:19 PM
make a template. take somthing that fitts down in a good wheel. cut out on that where the holes are now. mark where exactly between the hole are rotate your template to match that and drill your new holes!! not hard to do.

lil400exman
02-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
make a template. take somthing that fitts down in a good wheel. cut out on that where the holes are now. mark where exactly between the hole are rotate your template to match that and drill your new holes!! not hard to do.
yea exactly! make a "jig" i would call it. we had some thing sheet metal laying around and i cut in a circle to the inside of the rim where the holes are on the tire and drilled the holes where they were in the metal then just rotated it to the center between the bolt holes and it worked like a charm. i also took a bit of red permant paint and put a line over each good hole so it would be faster/easier to put on..............also dont use a cordless drill in this as they dont got the power to go through a stock rim. if possible use a drill press if u cant get that get a straight edge across the tire to keep your drill straight then sand the inside down to get all foreign junk outta deree:blah:

dasheek
02-03-2004, 07:34 PM
we did this same thing on my buddies rims. We used a mill. Just have to get the right measurments for the holes. Make sure to find the centers of the holes using a center punch.