PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Tether kill

ZSK
02-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Call me a dumbazz but I need help figuring this one out. I bought a gunnar kill switch from the local dealer, hooked it up according to the instructions, and it blew a fuse every time the tether was pulled. Came to exriders and USED THE SEARCH button. Found directions about how to wire a prodesign. Wired it according to those directions and it works great. What's my problem? Worked great for the first 1/2 hour of the ride today. Then I blew a fuse. Put in a new one (20amp normally a 15) shut the bike off after taking a break and the fuse was blown again, the 20. Found the spare 15 on the wheeler. Put it in when I shut off the wheeler it blew again. Ended up riding 45 miles jumping the fuse with a keyring to start it everytime I sshut it off/stalled it. I really need help on this one. Spent over 10 hours trying to fix it.

rollie
02-01-2004, 06:58 PM
sorry man i cant help...thats wierd though:confused:

Out_Sider
02-01-2004, 09:38 PM
un-hook it from where u got it. un plug your key switch and throw it on the floor...now put one wire from the tether in one of the wires from the key swithc, and then put the other wire from the kill switch on the other wire. simpliest way there is

2004TRX450R
02-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
un-hook it from where u got it. un plug your key switch and throw it on the floor...now put one wire from the tether in one of the wires from the key swithc, and then put the other wire from the kill switch on the other wire. simpliest way there is

I haven't looked at the connector on the 300EX but I would bet there are 4 wires to it. You can't just plug the kill switch wires into any wires in the connector.

What wires did you hook the kill switch up to? It should be hooke up to a black/white and a green wire if you got the wires from where the key switch plugs into it. It sounds like you got ahold of a power wire and a ground wire.

ZSK
02-02-2004, 12:50 PM
As per the directions I hooked it up to the black wire with a white stripe running from the handlebar assembly (which has the slide kill switch) Down to where it connects. Cut the wire and made plug ins for the kill switch plugged it in and it blew fuses when the tether was pulled.

The second way I spliced it into the black wire with yellow strip under the right front fender going into the Ignition control module using a saddle clip basically exactley to these directions:

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/ProDesign

Out_Sider are you saying eliminate my key all together? And just plug the kill into the wires where it unhooks, one to ground and one to power? If so which one is the power I assume red. Will this kill your battery if you do it that way?

ZSK
02-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Long story short it was a bare wire coming from the headlight/starter cluster on the bar. It'd touch metal and blow the fuse but not ground ou the ignition.

My kill is wired up to the coil worked in the barn today. I'll be home in 2 weeks to test it out for sure. Thanks for the help.