PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjusting, sparks timing key difficultys

Ralph
02-01-2004, 02:11 PM
I jsut put in my sparks timing key and the packag says that the TDC alignment to adjust the valves is no longer correct and to adjust the valves you have to look through the spark plug hole. Do i need to get it to the point where the piston is all the way at the top about to go bacl down or what?

Ralph
02-01-2004, 05:09 PM
:o

cheetah
02-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Adjust them when the piston is all the way at the top. After it stops and before it goes back down.

quadcraze13
02-01-2004, 05:52 PM
check your manual...i think it has to be top dead center on the power stroke(im not sure about the stroke)

BSTURDIVANT
02-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Roll your engine counterclockwise while watching the intake valves open and go back closed. Roll on up to "T" and continue about !/4 " past. This will put you on TDC compression stroke,
while allowing for the adv. key!

Double check that valves are loose to feel confirming that you are on proper stroke!

Bad Habit
02-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Line the top of the "T" (as it is stamped sideways on the flywheel) with the left edge of the sight hole in the side case.

I had to draw in the "T" as it did not show up well in the pic.

mikey726
02-03-2004, 07:22 PM
I've posted this tip before, but for anyone who hasn't installed their key yet or is considering one:

As for checking TDC through the spark plug hole, there's a better way: when you have the side case off, there's a pointer that lines up with the TDC mark on the flywheel. After you have the flywheel off, put it back on gently and use a large wrench on the flat spots of the flywheel hub to get it back to TDC. Then put in the Sparks key, rotate the flywheel itself forward to its new position and make a mark at the pointer. I used an engraving tool to make it permanent and I can check for TDC just like stock.