PDA

View Full Version : stiff a** shocks

holeshot19
02-01-2004, 05:27 AM
wondering if anyone is expercing there shocks r way too stiff i the ones that r on mine beat me to death i would be cool for mx but i got it for xc:mad:

Hammer trx450r
02-01-2004, 05:47 AM
Pappy can't we get spell check or maybe grammer check? lol

4punksdad
02-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
Pappy can't we get spell check or maybe grammer check? lol

That would be grammAr. Nice try though.

Guy400
02-01-2004, 06:44 AM
LOL, holeshot19, your shocks are adjustable. This isn't like the old 400EX where the factory settings are what you're stuck with.

02-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Take all of the preload off of the springs front and rear. It will loosen up the suspension and lower the bike a little. If you are not sure what that is loosen the top locking nut and crank the other spanner nut all the way up. Then follow the instructions in the manual to put them at the standard setting. After that I backed the rebound (which is the lower screw) out a 1/2 of turn. I liked the performance of the shock I think they are almost compareable to my aftermarket shocks on my 250R.

honda350r
02-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Maybe you aren't old enough to ride that nice Honda TRX 450R?

You must be 16 yrs old!!!

Pappy
02-01-2004, 08:35 AM
one trx450r i had a chance to try had stiff fronts but a very very nice rear shock. this same quad didnt have the extra bolt by the petcock in the plastic either. i thought that was a design change?

the second unit was much better regarding the front suspension. id either suggest adjusting the shocks, or maybe its possible some of the first released were set up different from the factory?

holeshot19
02-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
Maybe you aren't old enough to ride that nice Honda TRX 450R?

You must be 16 yrs old!!! well theres over 40grand worth of quads in my shop, i have built engines for santo dersi and many other that race mideast and various local mx races but for all U WANT TO BEES THAT DO NOT OWN A TRX450R GET YOUR OWN THEN MAKE YOUR OWN MINDS UP FOR WHAT IT DOES OR DOES NOT DO'
:mad:

2004TRX450R
02-01-2004, 12:30 PM
As stated try adjusting your suspension. You don't want to just crank up the preload though. The preload is something that you need to have set to your weight and you may need stiffer or softer springs. You don't just loosen them to make it softer though. I don't recall all the percentages off the top of my head but you are supposed to raise the bike off the ground and measure a point from the frame to thesuspension somewhere. Then put the bike on the ground with noone on it and measure the same points. Then sit on it like if you were rideing it and have someone measure them again. You want each number to be a certain percentage of the others for the springs to be the right preload for your weight. If it feels stiff or soft then you need to adjust your compression and rebound damping. That is where the difference is going to be made in bottoming or how stiff or soft the suspension is. You may just need to play with these a bit to get them how you want it but it is always a good idea to write down your stock settings so if you get them all out of wack you know where to go back to your starting point at. Then once you get them all figured out how you like it write down the settings somewhere so if you ever have the suspension rebuilt you will be able to make sure they put it back where you like it.

02-01-2004, 01:53 PM
try this

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90194

worked wonders for my friends bike!

honda350r
02-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by holeshot19
well theres over 40grand worth of quads in my shop, i have built engines for santo dersi and many other that race mideast and various local mx races but for all U WANT TO BEES THAT DO NOT OWN A TRX450R GET YOUR OWN THEN MAKE YOUR OWN MINDS UP FOR WHAT IT DOES OR DOES NOT DO'
:mad:

HEHE sorry man I was just pulling your chain ! looks like I may have pulled a little too hard?

holeshot19
02-02-2004, 04:15 PM
the compression and rebound stacks are huge this things should not bottom out on +2s but i talked to santo today im taking them up there tomorow hopefully we can make the dual rates and get them where i can ride them in the woods:rolleyes: