PDA

View Full Version : What's the easiest way to fix my screw up? Broken header stud???

nikejoe
01-31-2004, 09:13 PM
I did something else stupid today! I was screwing with my exhaust and putting my header back on and over tightened one of the studs. I broke it off! It has about 1/8"-1/4" sticking out!

Are these hard to change? Is it just threaded into the motor? If so do you think I can get it out with vise grips or should I just drill it and try an ez-out??? Any other ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did you get it fixed??? Feeling DUMB once again!!!!:confused:
Thanks

Pappy
01-31-2004, 09:14 PM
i did that once. i was able to back it out with vise grips

Bad Habit
01-31-2004, 09:28 PM
I'd use an easy-out. If it were me, I'd end up jacking with the vise grips for about 20 minutes and have the stud all buggered up. Then I'd be forced to try and drill a hole in a rounded off stud. :mad:

01-31-2004, 09:32 PM
id try the vices first since they are eaiser and i bet that will work but if not use an easy out.

Martin Blair
01-31-2004, 11:34 PM
i broke one, took it out with vice grips and surprising westlake hadware had metric engine studs

TCracin440ex
02-01-2004, 12:09 AM
make sure u dont strip the threads on the head tho...if you do ull have to either retap it...or get heli coils......

mustang93
02-01-2004, 07:03 AM
vise grips to the rescue:D if that dosnt wok sears sells those socket extractor that you tap on whith a hammer, or thier version of the easy out that includes the drill bit as an assembally

JP400ex
02-01-2004, 07:12 AM
If it broke off too low to get the vise grips around you can also try and use a cutting disc on a dremel and put a slot in the top and use a large flathead screwdriver. Thats worked for me a few times when the screw breaks off flush.

Aceman
02-01-2004, 07:32 AM
If it doesn't come out with vise grips, what I usually do is screw a nut onto the stud and tack weld it on. Then just screw the stud back out. It you can't screw a nut on just get one a little bigger than the stud so it will slide over the threads, then weld it. I don't know anything that works better than that.

02-01-2004, 03:17 PM
thats a good idea. never thought about it.

nikejoe
02-01-2004, 03:46 PM
My brother had the exact same idea! The only probelm is I don't have a welder! But I did get it out easily with vise-grips! All problems are fixed! Autozone actually had the metric stud, so I was able to get everything back together today!

Thank you guys for all the ideas!!! This site is the greatest thing that a relatively new atv owner could find!!!!!:D :D