PDA

View Full Version : Traded Rancher for 400EX

marksuttonjr
01-31-2004, 09:20 AM
Traded the 2000 Rancher ES taht has been nothing but trouble even for a 99 400 EX yesterday. The Rancher was all stock, and was ragged bad, but I baught it rite when I purchased it for $2375. The 400 needs new tires, and the front plastic has about a 2" crack by the headlight other than that its in great shape. It has a Duncan Racing double barel pipe, the hollow Durablue axle (junk), K&N filter (almost made me back out of the deal), and is suposed to be a 416. It was at a local dealership, so I have no idea how hard it has been ridden, but it is in nearly mint condition so i assume it was not ridden too hard. I do wish that they would have taken that JUNK K&N filter and given me a stock filter, but they wouldn't, and I am sure that I can get one cheap.

I will post pics. tomorow.

01-31-2004, 09:37 AM
what is wronge with the kandn'???

bigbadbrad
01-31-2004, 12:18 PM
with that stuff on it and how you said it had a crack it sounds like it has been ragged on, quite a bit actualy, and there is nothing wrong with k&n run it in my quad and truck

hosted
01-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Even if you have some problems with it, you don't have to much in it so far. If you have to drop a few hundred bucks in different stuff, you will still have less in it than most other 400's out there.

marksuttonjr
01-31-2004, 01:26 PM
Well it looks perfect other than the small crack, so I doubt it has been ridden too hard. This dealer never puts used quad in the show room, but this one was so that should tell you a lot about it's condition. The factory powdercoat only has 3 scratches that I can find. The stock tin swing arm skid plate is not all bent up. It even still has what appears to be the stock chain because there is no splice link. The wheels have very few scratches in them and the tires are still original, but almost wore out.

I have heard a lot of bad things about the hollow axles, but I hope that they are better than what I have heard. It should hold up fine though because this quad won't get jumped much. It will be a woods bike so all jumps will be small.

I just found a factory air filter for it about an hour ago so I can get rid of the K&N trash. I will run a K&N on a 2 stroke because they have to be rebuilt frequently anyway, but in my openion it is stupid to suck that much dirt into an engine that is reliable. EVERY time that I have taken a K&N filter off of anything(quad, street bike, car, truck) the air intake had dust in it so nobody will ever convince me that a K&N filter is worth running.
If you are going to run a K&N you might as well just take a piece of cloth and stretch over the air intake then zip tie it in place. It will stop more dirt than a K&N if you spray a little WD40 on it.

redgrizz
01-31-2004, 02:28 PM
thats y u use a foam filter like proflow for dirt

marksuttonjr
01-31-2004, 02:58 PM
I have never heard of proflow. Are thy similar to the stock filter?

I run either a stock filter or a UNI filter on every 4 stroke machine that I have.

marksuttonjr
02-02-2004, 07:10 AM
here are a few pics (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287811975)