PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start.

Rickyrebar
01-31-2004, 08:37 AM
I bought my 2003 400EX last summer. This is my 1st bike so I'm new to everything about it.
Started my mods with a K&N Filter & then a WB Series E slip-on.
After installing the slip-on I noticed a HUGE difference in power! Very pleased!
However, when cold starting it now (after installing slip-on), it seems to run very rough, cutting out almost dying. Have to feather the throttle to keep it running for a few minutes before it can be left alone. Now, once it is warm it runs like a champ and like I said before the power is outstanding!!
Did nothing to the jetting, left it stock.
Do I have a problem with the cold start or is this typical?

mustang93
01-31-2004, 08:56 AM
typical, the EX is cold blooded

gimpbzkt400ex
01-31-2004, 09:00 AM
switch to a #42 pilot jet... I have the same setup except for the K & N I have a Uni... with the e-series slip on... I had the same trouble with cold starts.... I put a #42 pilot jet in... and now it starts sooooooooooooooooooo much easier....

cals400ex
01-31-2004, 09:56 AM
yep, i would put in a 40 or 42 pilot jet. also, if your using stock jetting you might want to put in around a 155 or so mainjet.

Rickyrebar
01-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by gimpbzkt400ex
switch to a #42 pilot jet... I have the same setup except for the K & N I have a Uni... with the e-series slip on... I had the same trouble with cold starts.... I put a #42 pilot jet in... and now it starts sooooooooooooooooooo much easier....
OK so by changing to a 42 pilot it will solve my starting problems.
Will it change anything else?

cals400ex
01-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Rickyrebar

it should make starting the bike easier. however, even with that pilot in my bike is somewhat tempermental in the cold weather. i can usually get it started without a problem though.

gimpbzkt400ex
01-31-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Rickyrebar

I noticed a little low - mid power increase...