PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale questions

speedy400
01-31-2004, 08:14 AM
My dad is thinking of getting a cannondale, but we cant seem to find any specs for them. Are they reliable? I havnt heard much about them so bare with me. One of them good trail machine? HP? ect. thanks,info please asap.-darren

Pappy
01-31-2004, 08:19 AM
if you buy a newer unit 03 and up (new atk) with all the updates , then you shouldnt have any problems. they are very reliable and make an awesome quad.

AlaskaSpeed
01-31-2004, 08:29 AM
I'll second that. I had an 02 Speed and an 02 Cannibal and never missed a ride or race. Preventative maintenance is very important on the Dales; frequent oil changes, checking bolts, getting the updates done. I wouldn't think twice about owning a Dale again as long as I bought it NEW and could then guarantee the above. My modded 02 Speed was in February Dirtwheels, new owner though....#45....JIM

speedy400
01-31-2004, 12:00 PM
sweet, what about specs? anyone have them? also what kind of updates are you talking about? thanks for the fast replys-darren

FourFiftyFour
01-31-2004, 12:28 PM
DONT buy a used one

DONT ride it without the updates

I cant give cannondale a good review on reliablity, mine has been the most unreliable quad ive ever heard of.... but when it runs (25 times in 8 months) its an awesome ride

but then you hear of a lot of other peoples holding up well, just keep up on the maintenance

the most important update is the stud case update so the bolts wont back out

cdrookie
01-31-2004, 01:19 PM
what kind of specs are you looking for? 432cc, fuel injected, supposibly 380 pounds wet. the different models have different features. they handle good and even the most basic model has great suspension. the motors are all the same only the fuel injection mapping is different. the '03 are the ones to get if buying new. they are going for real reasonable prices. i would consider a used one, unlike cdalechick, cause if they go bad they usually do it right away, within the first 40 hours of riding. i've had my cannibal for 6 months with no problems. go to www.cannondaleriders.com or www.cannondaler.com. there's way tooo much info on there, and the guys are real helpful and honest.

Mr.Offroad
01-31-2004, 07:34 PM
A factory rep was at the Florence dunes-Comp Hill with a new Cannondale FX400 a couple years ago, and was BEGGING people to demo it. Me and my buddy rode it, and watched it spank literally everything that showed up. It was one of the funnest rides I had ever ridden. I just started saving up my $$$ to buy one, when word came of them going belly-up. Very sad day. I don't know about reliability, only rumors I've heard, and I don't take much stock in those. But I do know they are a wild ride!:p

4punksdad
02-01-2004, 05:22 AM
I have one and it runs fine. Other than the fact that it loves to eat 10.00 spark plugs its a great bike. Can and will smoke the doors off 99% of the bikes that pull up beside it. We ran some drag races down in richmond last fall..............and the c-dales repeatedly spanked (bad spankings) the 400ex and polaris predator that couldn't get enough ***** whipping. It was embarrasing to see the predator pull up to the line & want more. I haven't raced it beside the new 450R yet, but I will today. I suspect the c-dale is still the king of speed.

infantry317
02-01-2004, 08:36 AM
I've thought of a 'Dale many times, i really like the idea of an American quad. But who in the heck in Minnesota works on them in Minnesota. In two years I've only seen one at about 10 races i've been to.

freakystone
02-01-2004, 09:39 AM
For the thrill seeker looking to thump the trails instead of lug them, Dales are the best. If you want to truck them like a 400EX at 5 to 15 MPH over rocks and logs and technical trails, they are not.

AlaskaSpeed
02-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
For the thrill seeker looking to thump the trails instead of lug them, Dales are the best. If you want to truck them like a 400EX at 5 to 15 MPH over rocks and logs and technical trails, they are not.

Long time, no see....where you been hiding? I figured a load of concrete fell on ya or something.....:eek2: :devil:

cheetah
02-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I'll step up and say a good word too. Mine has been flawless ever since I've had it. Just do the maintenance and it's very reliable.

flyin#5
02-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
I've thought of a 'Dale many times, i really like the idea of an American quad. But who in the heck in Minnesota works on them in Minnesota. In two years I've only seen one at about 10 races i've been to.

im not sure either.... but i know mondus motorsports in hudson WI used to sell them, not sure if they work on them.... i would think so:confused:

Jaybr
02-01-2004, 06:34 PM
There are a couple guys over on Cannondaleriders.com in Wisconsin, Cannondale27 and Wistech. Not sure exactly where their at, but you could PM them and find out.

660r2a400ex
02-12-2004, 07:49 PM
diamond racing also works on them, they do awsome work as what my friend has told me but they take their sweet time which is kind of sucky! they in PA.

cheetah
02-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by 660r2a400ex
diamond racing also works on them, they do awsome work as what my friend has told me but they take their sweet time which is kind of sucky! they in PA.

They do take their time, but from what many people who has had their work done through him said, they come back putting out amazing power and they are more reliable than a 400ex.:eek2:

Full-Throttle76
02-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Dales are great bikes but the problem is when you have a problem, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, they are Fuel Injected which is a pain in the *****. My buddy just had an electrical problem and the bike won't start. No one can figure it out. Do plenty of research and make sure you have someone that can work on it. So, if you have no problems the bike is SWEET, very fast top end and throttle response if awsome. Good luck with your decision.

Full Throttle!!

cheetah
02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't see why you say Fuel Injection is a pain. I would take it over carbs for ease of use any day. It's just a good idea to go ahead and factor in the Diagnostics software when you buy the dale and you can just plug up to and make sure things are still good or change values.

cdalejef
02-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Out of the 15 years I've been racing XC, 2003 was the first time I went the whole GNCC season without a single DNF and it was my first season on a Cannondale. I've raced 250R's, 350RX, 300EX, 250X, LT250 and a Banshee in those years and DNFed at least twice every year.
2003 was also the year I've scored the highest national number in my career!
The Dales are for real and I expect ATK to take them to the next level. ;)

ABM-Cannibal
02-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Here is some great information on the different models Cannondale offers. Just ride it once and your hooked.
Cannondale Models (http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=188551)