View Full Version : Co-Creater of Real World/Road Rules, Simple Life dies

Foxyangel0425
01-31-2004, 07:00 AM
Mary-Ellis Bunim, Co-Creator Of 'Real World' And 'Road Rules,' Dies

Mary-Ellis Bunim, who helped launch the reality TV genre by co-creating the long-running MTV hits "The Real World" and "Road Rules," has died. She was 57.

Bunim passed away in Burbank, California, on Thursday after a lengthy battle with breast cancer.

Born in North Hampton, Massachusetts, Bunim started her work in television with soap operas, serving as the executive producer for "As the World Turns," "Santa Barbara" and "Loving." In 1987 she paired with Jonathan Murray, whose background was in TV news, to merge the documentary nature of news and the intrigue of soap operas for a dramatic series that would feature real people and their stories rather than actors and scripts — "The Real World."

After the 1992 debut of "The Real World," Bunim's work in reality television continued with partner Murray as their company, Bunim/Murray Productions, launched such MTV shows as "Road Rules" and "Making the Band" (which first aired in 1995 and 2000, respectively) as well as shows for FOX such as 2001's "Love Cruise" and the recent smash hit "The Simple Life," starring Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. Bunim teamed with New Line for the 2003 feature film "The Real Cancun."

"Mary-Ellis was a one-in-a-million partner and friend, and I will always treasure our incredible years of collaboration," Murray said in a statement. "Even as the family at Bunim/Murray Productions mourns her loss, we will honor her memory by remaining committed to her ideals of creativity, adventure and excellence, both on the screen and in our lives."

MTV Networks Group President Judy McGrath said Bunim opened the channel's eyes to "a whole new way of looking at young adult programming. She will certainly be imitated forever, but no one will quite get the care and elegance of her touch with young people and their stories. Everyone at MTV remembers her creativity and thoughtfulness, and we will toast her at every gathering. We were fortunate to be in her orbit for over 13 years, and we extend our sympathy to her family and her partner, Jon Murray. Her imprint on the popular culture is a great benefit to us and all her fans and loyal viewers."

"In her life and in her work, she dared to dream, followed her inward passion and entertained millions along the way," MTV and VH1 President of Entertainment Brian Graden said in a statement. "She brought the world groundbreaking and unforgettable television and taught generations of viewers how to transcend differences, to love each other and to, quite literally, live together."

Bunim is survived by a daughter, Juliana.

A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. February 7 at the Hollywood Hills Forest Lawn cemetery in Los Angeles. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that contributions be sent to the National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund, 1101 17th St. NW, Suite 1300, Washington DC 20036.

:(

AlaskaSpeed
01-31-2004, 07:03 AM
and this matters how?

01-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
and this matters how?
Well being this is the Open Forum I believe off topic posting is permitted?

01-31-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
and this matters how?

i agree.. i mean its bad that someone died and all.. but cmon it happens everyday... if we posted a message for every person that died everyday, we would need another froum just for it

AlaskaSpeed
01-31-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by member
i agree.. i mean its bad that someone died and all.. but cmon it happens everyday... if we posted a message for every person that died everyday, we would need another froum just for it

thank you for seeing my point. Hell, I am sure I could post the Anchorage, Alaska obituaries too....:rolleyes:

Tommy 17
01-31-2004, 09:12 AM
her shows sucked anyways:o

MXcutie
01-31-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry but alot of NORMAL pplin this world watch real world/road rules.... that was a big thing on monday and wed nites at college was watchin the new show.... I agree tho you dont have to post every little thing that happens in the world and i'm sorry Foxyangel0425 but you seem to post alot of nonsense on here... just my 2 cents

JUSTINcredible
01-31-2004, 10:25 AM
let her post what she wants, if u dont care dont read it

AlaskaSpeed
01-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
let her post what she wants, if u dont care dont read it

....speaking of a lot of nonsense.....:rolleyes:

MOFO
01-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by MXcutie
I'm sorry but alot of NORMAL pplin this world watch real world/road rules....

:huh

no they dont. You have it backwards...

Moto92
01-31-2004, 01:10 PM
I hate those shows...what ever happened to music videos???

Foxyangel0425
02-01-2004, 08:51 AM
If you don't like the post than why did you open it up and read it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

freakystone
02-01-2004, 08:56 AM
There are some real hot chickies on those shows. :p

AlaskaSpeed
02-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Foxyangel0425
If you don't like the post than why did you open it up and read it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...I'd have to say for the same reason you posted it.....nothing better to do.....:rolleyes:

Chef
02-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Just like old times...Jim bein an *********, and MXCutie bein jealous of another girl. What could be better?:D

AlaskaSpeed
02-01-2004, 03:13 PM
If replying to a question is being an *********....then I'm guilty. As far as MXcutie being jealous of another girl, sure; I can agree with that comment....lol

Chef
02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
The *****'s sure are sensitive these days arent they?:confused:

02-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Ye Chef, i agree that Jim is an *********

Chef
02-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by fuZe
Ye Chef, i agree that Jim is an *********

Yea, but you're probably bein serious. I kinda like the dude.:p

02-02-2004, 02:07 PM
O, nah i think hes a dick