PDA

View Full Version : PROS and CONS of the TRX450R

joe1l
01-30-2004, 10:33 PM
I want some straight pros and cons about the TRX450R. I will be deciding between this and the YFZ450 but I really want to hear from the guys who recently bought the TRX and hear what they like and don't like about their 450r.
Thanks,
Joe

01-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Be careful which one you choose....the size of your weiner may depend on it!:D

MIA450R
01-31-2004, 04:14 PM
Pro's: styling, power, weight, noise level, brakes, its a Honda..etc
Con's: As of right now, none. Seriously.

But here's some wants: My 416 had a 50" wide stance. I do want to widen the R to about that wide. I think I'd like to see some aftermarket graffix for the hood, gastank and air scoops. Thats about it.

Oregonduner
01-31-2004, 06:37 PM
I have a couple cons without even riding one.
1. UGLY!!!!
2. No electric start

I was on "the list" for one of these, but have changed my mind, I sure think Honda could have done better.

Pappy
01-31-2004, 06:46 PM
i didnt like teh kick start either...at first:devil:

id say if you are on the fence, then go sit on each one and if possible..ride both

Sportrax10
01-31-2004, 06:54 PM
The TRX engine uses a twin wet-sump design to separate the transmission/clutch oil from the crankcase oil.
The chain is easy to adjust....

Theres some pros...

Baley69
01-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Cons-IMO kick start and the color of the plastic. Its not the cherry red like my 400, its almost pink.

Sit on both, try to ride both like pappy said. I dont think you would be dissapointed with either.

2004TRX450R
01-31-2004, 07:27 PM
"no electric start" :rolleyes: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Man I am getting tired of hearing that. If you want to be lazy get a polaris. Then you don't have to kick start, clutch, shift or anything. If you want an awsome bike that is made for going fast and raceing quite wineing and kick the dam thing.

The only thing I don't like about my 450R right now is the hood vibrates a little. The kick start is so easy on it it is like kick starting a little XR50 ro something. The power is very good, handles awsome, looks pretty cool other than I'm not big on the headlights. Suspension is fully adjustable and works very well. I am going rideing this weekend with my friend with a YFZ with a pipe on it and I just got my HRC kit in mine so it should be a fairly good comparasin. We'll see how they stack up.

holeshot19
01-31-2004, 07:28 PM
mine a trx 450r the shocks especally the fronts are beating the hell out of me now i weight 190 pounds and ride xc put in two hours of rideing today and i feel like my a** is draging there was one at the other dealer and the front end was not nearly as stiff. i think they took so many units and stiffed the shocks on it cause they r not plush at all and i playing around with the counter sprokets, the stock 14t was replaced with a 13 which is standard one for the crf 450 dirtbike but i seam now to low im going to go to a 39 rear and put the 14 back on the front also i pulled the sparkarster out and jeted up the carb

Pappy
01-31-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
"no electric start" :rolleyes: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Man I am getting tired of hearing that. If you want to be lazy get a polaris. Then you don't have to kick start, clutch, shift or anything. If you want an awsome bike that is made for going fast and raceing quite wineing and kick the dam thing.

keep this crap off the boards

seven
01-31-2004, 07:50 PM
I saw a couple of them run this weekend and I was not impressed at all. I think over all the yfz is a way better quad. Not the most comfortable though!

macsolocam
01-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either one.....I thinking about trading my wife's raptor in on a yfz and have both of them!!!:D

I rode mine stock today with a buddy that had the hrc kit and another that had a yfz.

My bike completely stock.

Other trx had the hrc kit.

The yfz had a full yoshi exhaust and jet kit.

On probably quarter mile runs the hrc equipped R ONLY had 1/2 bike link on me. Pulled just a little ahead of me through all gears until toped out. But like I said only had 1/2 bike link in front of me.

yfz vs. stock trx
practically dead even until the high end of forth gear and at the end of fifth the yfz had around 2 bike lengths on me.

yfz vs. hrc trx
about 1 and a half bike lenghts at the top end.

On a motorcross track I think these bikes are very alike. Me and the guy that had the yfz rode a track today and switched bikes and we basically had the same riding pattern. Both bikes really flys well. As for the front end of the trx being light.....It really isn't not that light as they say but you do have to use a little more body english.

Shocks on both quads are really great. Just as good as some aftermarket out there with the exception of the long travel. We had 50ft. table that we over shot a few times and never bottom either quad out.

One thing that I noticed about these quads was the foot peg height. on the yfz my knees were a little higher than on the trx....made my riding stance fell awarked( but it's what you are used to riding) I think a taller person would feel more at home on the trx.

The trx starts really good if you do it right the first time. Don't forget to turn the gas on before you kick it. If you do your leg might get tired. But I found IF that ever happens do not use the choke or hot start and hold the thorttle wide open...it will fire right up. Use the hot start when hot, it also will start right up.

On the yfz I saw 2 on them today having that battery trouble where they did not want to crank and had to pull crand them.

The most thing that I noticed that the trx had over the yfz was how smooth the engine and trans was.....:eek: The yfz just seemed more rough.

Powerband is great on both machines....they could raise the front wheels of the ground utilizing the powerband.

There is plenty of room to work on the trx....not to say that about the yfz but the trx has more. The trx is very simple.

Just my change.....I think I would be happy to race either one this season:D But, I will be doing It on a trx450r because it is my preference not that I think it is better........

Macsolocam
Good luck to everyone this race season whatever you are on......

Maxx_Action
01-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Hmmm...

Can't really speak for the HOnda, but I'll give you some insight on the Yamaha.

Pros
Fast!
Handles like a dream!
Well balanced when jumping!
Looks Good!
More potential for HP mod for Mod (IMHO Based on some knowledge of internal combustion engines)
Electric Start

Cons
Some early ones had a problem with the water pump shaft seal
Hard Seat (so everyone says, but I don't notice it)
Shocks valved for heavy rider (which is fine if you are 195 pounds like me)
Cheap bumper and grab bar (kinda weak)
No REverse (no biggy)

I have had this quad for about 5 and a hal months now. I have put in probably 50 hours of seat time on it and NO PROBLEMS as of yet. The tranny was a little " sticky" for the first 15 hours or so, but that was accredited to a bad run of shift drums, and has since worked itself out. The hard seat issue, isn't really an issue for me, I never noticed it one bit. I like the styling a lot on both quads, so I think like most sane people will tell you, they are both good quads, it comes down to which one you like the most. good luck...

Maxx

joe1l
01-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, I just want to thank everyone for posting such great pros and cons and keeping everything civilized and mature!! I was getting quite sick of hearing people bashing the YFZ and the TRX! Right now I own a trx250r with a 350PV, so i'm honda fan to start, but i also own a Banshee and Warrior, which also makes me a Yamaha fan! Anyhow, I do not race! I ride woods and sand trails. The 250r will stay around for my sand trails, so this will be used mostly up in PA/NY where there is more rocky woody muddy trails.

I was originally sold on the YFZ, but now I'm not soo sure. I have not had any ride time on the YFZ or the TRX450r so its hard for me to say anything about it, but I have sat on a YFZ in the dealership, and the first thing I noticed was the hard narrow seat, if I raced it this would not be an issue but it woods, this narrow hard seat could hurt!! I love the fact the YFZ has e-start, but I would order the kickstart with mine as well. Since I'll be riding this mostly in woods, the front a-arms seem to be a little weaker on the YFZ than I would like, and the suspension seems a bit stiff for realy rocky trails, but I weight 210lbs so it might not be the case for me. My last concern is the swingarm on the YFZ, I have heard of quite a few of them breaking, and replacement swingarms seem to all be around $1000.

Power: :blah: I can care less how these bikes perform in stock form, and I want to thank macsolocam for writing such a good post about these bikes, that seems to be one of the best unbiased reviews i have read to date. None of my bikes are stock and neither will these stay stock. I know that Curtis Sparks has made mods for both of these, so i highly doubt i'm going to have a power problems, I'm not sure if anyone seen one of his Raptor 690 kits or his 450ex kit, but man they are fast, plus my 250r will out pull either one I get even after all the mods!!!

That being said about YFZ, I am now leaning towards the Honda. One major reason is that the seat seems a bit larger (my fat *** will like that). Another reason is the suspension, from what I have read, the stock trx suspension is a bit softer than the yfz's race type suspension. I have to admit, i love the e-start option but after kicking over my 350pv high compression beast, this should be a breaze!;) The other major reason I'm leaning towards the honda is the fact that I can switch tires between my R's. So basically i can get one set of ice tires and sand tires and use them on both bikes.

4fiddyR
02-03-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm actually enjoying reading this thread.

4FIDDYRHRC
02-04-2004, 12:08 PM
:D I'll keep it simple. I have ridden both. and i now own a trx450r. need i say more?

r450rr
02-04-2004, 01:25 PM
yep this thread is the cleanest one.

stilfx
02-04-2004, 01:50 PM
It feels just a bit tall, almost tippy.
The front looks as though its been punched in the face (not a fan).
The Color is more pinkish than the 400ex Red.
No Elec start option.

But looks to be built like a brick sh$t house! So it will prob be reliable.
It starts easily if you dont mind kicking.
The seat is nicer than the Yami.
Feels like a great trail machine.

seatec
02-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Swingarm problem/replacement comment. I have heard of 2 swing arms failing and i hang out on most yfz boards. Ok ok! 3 failed. One of them was mine and i buggered the threads on the skidplate mounting holes up myself. I got a swingarm for around 200 bux of of somebody who put on an aftermarket swinger. So dont worry about the swing arm. IN the end i dont think you can go wrong with either quad though. And thats really the bottom line now, isnt it?

It's all good!

JWhite
02-04-2004, 02:18 PM
It's funny how we got all these YFZ owners here dissing the Honda. Yet you don't see a lot of Honda guys at the Yamaha sites.

Why is this?

Honda
02-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Because that would make us Traitor's! LOL!!!

I Actually did visit YFZCentral.com once, I was looking for threads pertaining to the Honda 450R, I was kind of shocked to see 1 out of every 3 or 4 threads had a title asking for help with a problem on a YFZ.

Just my observation!

stilfx
02-04-2004, 02:32 PM
ATV(s) owner.. <-- No Yami's in my Garage.

He asked for rider pro/cons?
All pro's and no con's makes you kids as blind as you are loyal to a Honda Sales Rep.

These are all killer quads, you can't really go wrong with either of the best Japan has to offer - it makes the 80's feel like the 20's :D

TRX450ROwner
02-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I have had my TRX450R for three weeks now. I have raced two ice races. I have practiced for a total of 46 hours at a local motorcross track. The only bad thing I have to say is there are not as many aftermarket parts available right now. I have put it up against six YZF450Rs, all extremely moddifed, and they can not pull away from me, But for all you YAMAHOLICS its only a matter off time before your staring at the back of one, watching it pull away, and wishing you had done your homework before you drove out and paid for one. If you really want to know which one is the best keep this in mind. Who finished 1st at Baja? "TRX450R", and who is winning in the stadiums? "TRX450R".
But before you reply keep this in mind, the TRX450R has only been out since november.

P.S. I own one TRX400EX
one Banshee
one Warrior
one 250R
and the one and only TRX450R:devil:

seatec
02-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by TRX450ROwner
I have had my TRX450R for three weeks now. I have raced two ice races. I have practiced for a total of 46 hours at a local motorcross track. The only bad thing I have to say is there are not as many aftermarket parts available right now. I have put it up against six YZF450Rs, all extremely moddifed, and they can not pull away from me, But for all you YAMAHOLICS its only a matter off time before your staring at the back of one, watching it pull away, and wishing you had done your homework before you drove out and paid for one. If you really want to know which one is the best keep this in mind. Who finished 1st at Baja? "TRX450R", and who is winning in the stadiums? "TRX450R".
But before you reply keep this in mind, the TRX450R has only been out since november.

P.S. I own one TRX400EX
one Banshee
one Warrior
one 250R

People. PLease try to stick to the subject and only comment on what you KNOW and not suspect. you are not helping him any.
Thank you!

seatec
02-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
yep this thread is the cleanest one.

You had to say it didnt you?? :D lol

Scottie Mac
02-04-2004, 03:42 PM

P.S. I own one TRX400EX
one Banshee
one Warrior
one 250R

And then there was this guy. WOW, the TRX won Baja. Now, did that one drive itself, were Farr and crew actually on it? That is like someone saying the YFZ is better because just about ALL the pros, other than the two paid to ride something else, are riding Yamahas. If, say, JJ was to win the title this year, would that mean that the TRX is an inferior machine????? I think not. Let me go drive my Taurus because it is the baddest car out because Matt Kennseth drove one to the NASCAR title last year......

Back to the ASKED QUESTION.

Pros:

If you like the handling of the 400ex, you will love the 450R

When modded, should be as fast as the next guy, no matter what he/she is riding

Soft seat for the wusses (sorry, but I ride bikes too and you guys whinning about the seats kill me)

There will be a ton of aftermarket parts available soon

Cons:

Not the best looking thing in the world (but that is opinion)

Reliability. Now, this for two reasons. 1) there have been quite a few CRF450 motors having there fair share of problems. This is a different motor, but all this means is that NO manufacturer is above having issues. 2) Hasn't been out long enough to know any better.

If you are going to keep it stock (which it sounds like you won't) it sits a little higher than the competition as well not having as much travel. If you don't MX, this should not be an issue.

The only way to make the most educated decision is to either ride both, or at least go and sit on each at your local dealership. Don't rely on anyone elses "opinion" to make up your mind. No two people are exactly alike. Good luck.

Scott

JWhite
02-04-2004, 04:07 PM

Personally I don't like the way a stock 400EX handles at all. Never did. The 450R is worlds above the EX in handling IMO.

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have one.

Scottie Mac
02-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by JWhite

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have one.

YEP!

Scott

XC250R
02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Coming from a 250R the 450R sits way too high. The shocks were a little disappointing also. They seem awfully stiff for me at 180lbs(with gear). And it is light on the front end. Oh.....and my seat isn't soft, but I never have had a soft one. That is just the foam compound got mixed slightly different.

As with anything, nothing is perfect in stock form. With some shock work and a few changes here and there I am sure it will be awesome. As for the kickstart, my 12 year old nephew kickstarted it and he only weighs 110 pounds! I like not worrying about battery maintenance.

From what I've seen so far they are both awesome quads.

rtyfz450
02-04-2004, 04:32 PM
I have just got to see and try out the trx, here is my first opinion.

first the good:
1.The trx looks alot better in real life than in the mags and pics online.
2. the quality looked pretty good on the bike I saw.
3. the tank actually looks good and with some graphics it will look great.
4. everything looks easily accessible and maintenance looks like a breeze
5. kicks easy
6. controls are simple
7.bumper and grab bars are nice and made from aluminum rear on is just like the one I put on my yfz.
8.honda made a good platform for racers and regular riders to build off of.
8. don't know about these people saying the plastic looks pink but I think it looked better than my stock 400ex plastic
9. Like the separated trans and engine oil.
10. led tail light is cool ( bought one for the yfz long time ago 3.95)
11. brakes much better than stock yfz
12. power much better for a average rider.

and the bad:
1.The yfz has a hard seat, so does the trx almost about the same
2. some welds look questionable on the frame unfinished in some places
3. I hate the forward kick, should of made it electric and kick as option or at least made it a rear kick.
4. carb choke looks and feels cheap
5. the tires suck (easy to replace)
6. suspension feels just as stiff as when I got my yfz.
7. silencer is just as bad as the yfz except it is polished (big deal)
8. front fenders look weird I would take them off (no big deal)
9. power is good and the front end is light fun to wheelie but not the best for the track. YFZ keeps lower and accelerates faster.
10. I hate the parking brake, same as the 400ex not that it matters for racers, but I actually like the yfz brake and it actually works.
11. look alike z-400 middle key switch makes a handle bar change a pain. Yfz key switch is much better.
12. easy to ride and smooth but not as much fun as the power band of the yfz( talking stock for stock) Yfz even better with pipe and filter
13. I like having an oil reserve.
overall nice bike and a good choice for a rider who is looking for a performance bike that looks to be well built, looks differnent than everthing else out there and is a good successor to the 250r but has it's flaws just like everthing else

TRX450ROwner
02-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
And then there was this guy. WOW, the TRX won Baja. Now, did that one drive itself, were Farr and crew actually on it? That is like someone saying the YFZ is better because just about ALL the pros, other than the two paid to ride something else, are riding Yamahas. If, say, JJ was to win the title this year, would that mean that the TRX is an inferior machine????? I think not. Let me go drive my Taurus because it is the baddest car out because Matt Kennseth drove one to the NASCAR title last year......

Pros:

Soft seat for the wusses (sorry, but I ride bikes too and you guys whinning about the seats kill me)

Cons:

Reliability. Now, this for two reasons. 1) there have been quite a few CRF450 motors having there fair share of problems. This is a different motor, but all this means is that NO manufacturer is above having issues. 2) Hasn't been out long enough to know any better.

If you are going to keep it stock (which it sounds like you won't) it sits a little higher than the competition as well not having as much travel. If you don't MX, this should not be an issue.

The only way to make the most educated decision is to either ride both, or at least go and sit on each at your local dealership. Don't rely on anyone elses "opinion" to make up your mind. No two people are exactly alike. Good luck.

Scott

The only point I was trying to make was the Honda won the Baja without mechanical problems on its first time in competitive racing.
But since you brought it up that me know how well your Ford Tauras does. LOL:D

Scottie Mac
02-04-2004, 05:43 PM
The only point I was trying to make was the Honda won the Baja without mechanical problems on its first time in competitive racing.
But since you brought it up that me know how well your Ford Tauras does. LOL:D

LOL! I see you too understand the art of sarcasm! The Taurus analogy was a joke.......

Hope you enjoy your TRX.

Scott

trout
02-04-2004, 06:28 PM

Pros:

Cons:

Scott

I like the way you think,

trout
02-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Sorry about how that posted, I dont know how to put, what someone else said, in Quotes.

trout

r450rr
02-04-2004, 06:43 PM
right above post reply.. on whoever you want to quote.. click on quote on who's ever message u want to quote

try it on me

r450rr
02-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by stilfx
It feels just a bit tall, almost tippy.
The front looks as though its been punched in the face (not a fan).
The Color is more pinkish than the 400ex Red.
No Elec start option.

But looks to be built like a brick sh$t house! So it will prob be reliable.
It starts easily if you dont mind kicking.
The seat is nicer than the Yami.
Feels like a great trail machine.

the color is a lot like the cr dirt bike,, and i like it myself:D

r450rr
02-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by seatec
You had to say it didnt you?? :D lol

lol it used to be,, i kick myself in the ***** for saying that now:mad:

Davis_j10
02-04-2004, 06:56 PM
THE 450R IS AN AWESOME BIKE! POWER IS GOOD FROM BOTTOM TO TOP. THE FRONT END DOES NOT SEEM LIGHT TO ME BUT THAT IS MY OPINION! IT SEEMS TO WHEELIE WHEN YOU WANT IT TO AND STAY DOWN WHEN YOU NEED IT TO. THE GEARING IS A LITTLE HIGH BUT THAT IS NOTHING A SPROCKET CHANGE WILL NOT FIX. TURNING RADIUS IS NOT ALL THAT GREAT BUT A QUICK SNAP OF THE THROTTLE WILL POINT YOU IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION BEFORE YOU CAN BLINK AN EYE. THE CENTER OF GRAVITY SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE HIGH DEPENDING WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH IT. SHOCKS HAVE A WIDE RANGE OF ADJUSTMENTS SO RIDE QUALITY IS PRETTY MUCH UP TO THE RIDER. SWING ARM SKIDPLATE IS A JOKE BUT THE AFTERMARKET ONES ARE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. IT KICKS OVER AND CRANKS WITH EASE. HOT START IS VERY USEFUL AS WELL AS EASY TO USE! I BELIEVE HONDA SHOULD HAVE USED A BETTER REAR TIRE LIKE THE OHTSU ON THE 400EX BUT MOST PEOPLE CHANGE THEM ANYWAY! I HAVE SEEN AND SAT ON A YFZ BUT NEVER RIDDEN ONE. IT SEEMS TO BE WELL BUILT AND THOUGHT OUT. THE YFZ WILL HAVE TO BE VERY GOOD TO COMPARE TO THE 450R AND TIME WILL ONLY TELL!

trout
02-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
right above post reply.. on whoever you want to quote.. click on quote on who's ever message u want to quote

try it on me

yep, thanks for the hint
trout

Woody_YFZ
02-04-2004, 09:02 PM
It's funny how we got all these YFZ owners here dissing the Honda. Yet you don't see a lot of Honda guys at the Yamaha sites.

Why is this?

What dissing are you talking about, I think this thread is doing quite well. Also, you must not visit the Yamaha sites too often.

Kudos to the write ups, we actually have a lot of good info. in here.

JWhite
02-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ
What dissing are you talking about, I think this thread is doing quite well. Also, you must not visit the Yamaha sites too often.

Kudos to the write ups, we actually have a lot of good info. in here.

More than half the posts in the section are from YFZ owners and wannabes putting down the Honda. Not all of the Yamaha guys are, just most of them.

Then fights break out. Bad for the site if you ask me.

joe1l
02-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Ok, I asked for PROS and CONS, and I got many good ones, but I could do without some of the crap that went in between .....Anyhow I really don't care much about how many races Farr won on this bike, as long as I know its capable of being a contender!!;)

I really liked some of the fact based stuff I read in this thread. I'm finding that more and more people are liking the 450r as they actually get them. Since I'm not going to race, and am looking for a woods/trail bike, this seems to be the bike for me. The only thing that i find inconsistent is that some people love the stock suspension, and some think its way too stiff. I've heard that adjustment on it is very percise, where 1 click will make a noticeable difference, Iwonder if those who don't like it have it adjusted correctly. My only other wonder is if I do get the trx should I get the HRC kit?

2004TRX450R
02-04-2004, 11:43 PM
I think the suspension really depends on what you came off of. If you had a bike with stock shocks or aftermarket and what your preferance is. Personally I didn't think they were to stiff at all. I think it rode really nice. Also I REALLY like the HRC kit. It made a very noticeable difference in power.

2004TRX450R
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by trout

I don't get where you base this off of. There have be WAY more YZs and WRs with issues than CRFs. I haven't seen hardly any CRFs come through the shop I work at but have seen a decent amount of YZs and WRs. The ONLY thing I have seen is a couple of CRFs that the pistons hit the valves on and that was probably from overreving or something. I have heard some say it is from the piston rocking but there was no evidence of that on the piston or cylender. I have seen several YZs and WRs in for shattered pistons, (one had a piston that cocked sideways in the cylender and busted the cylender into the water jacket) busted kick start shafts, busted center cases from the kick starter kicking back and brakeing it against the stop etc.

SGA
02-05-2004, 05:58 AM
More than half the posts in the section are from YFZ owners and wannabes putting down the Honda. Not all of the Yamaha guys are, just most of them.

Then fights break out. Bad for the site if you ask me.
I agree! Hit the "report this post" link at the bottom and help us mods take out the trash.

Scottie Mac
02-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
I don't get where you base this off of. There have be WAY more YZs and WRs with issues than CRFs. I haven't seen hardly any CRFs come through the shop I work at but have seen a decent amount of YZs and WRs. The ONLY thing I have seen is a couple of CRFs that the pistons hit the valves on and that was probably from overreving or something. I have heard some say it is from the piston rocking but there was no evidence of that on the piston or cylender. I have seen several YZs and WRs in for shattered pistons, (one had a piston that cocked sideways in the cylender and busted the cylender into the water jacket) busted kick start shafts, busted center cases from the kick starter kicking back and brakeing it against the stop etc.

I have seen two crf powered quads seize at local tracks. I have also noticed a lot of CRFs on ebay with "brand new top ends". There is also a mention in ATVRider that the editors of Dirt RIder had mentioned the reliability of the CRF was not as good as other Honda products. I did not say the YZs were without problems. If you re read what I said you will see that I mentioned NO MANUFACTURER is without issues over the long haul. The second part was the fact that with a new, untested (by the public) product you never really know what you are going to get.

I will say this, a lot of the problems people have with motors, especially the newer generation 4 strokes, could be resolved with proper maintenance.

Get it, pros AND cons.

Scott

trueblue450
02-05-2004, 08:09 AM
the trx has such a light front end because all the power it kick out :eek2:

biohazard1.2
02-05-2004, 08:43 AM

Why is this?

and...why are you trying to ignite a fire?

I think most people have gotten over the this vs that BS that had so many folks at each others throats...

Wanna hear the best part? The biggest flamers and crap starters do not even own either quad...check it for yourself...

Oh, by the way...what do you ride? :D

BigThumper33
02-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
I have seen two crf powered quads seize at local tracks. I have also noticed a lot of CRFs on ebay with "brand new top ends". There is also a mention in ATVRider that the editors of Dirt RIder had mentioned the reliability of the CRF was not as good as other Honda products. I did not say the YZs were without problems. If you re read what I said you will see that I mentioned NO MANUFACTURER is without issues over the long haul. The second part was the fact that with a new, untested (by the public) product you never really know what you are going to get.

I will say this, a lot of the problems people have with motors, especially the newer generation 4 strokes, could be resolved with proper maintenance.

Get it, pros AND cons.

Scott

Have you seen the skirt on a crf450? Its short as heck. The reason you see on ebay, crf's with new top ends is because that motor is supposed to get more rebuilds compared to a typical 4 stroke. You aren't supposed to go a full season without rebuilding it atleast once!

JWhite
02-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2
and...why are you trying to ignite a fire?

I think most people have gotten over the this vs that BS that had so many folks at each others throats...

Wanna hear the best part? The biggest flamers and crap starters do not even own either quad...check it for yourself...

Oh, by the way...what do you ride? :D

Sold the YFZ, bought the TRX. :blah:

Chevy454
02-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Don't know about bikes or quads, but on the V-8 drag engines I'm familiar with, short piston skirts are infamous for smacking valves, as well as having a familiar "knocking" sound, due to rocking (check for skuffs on the skirts)...the Gen. III Chevy engines (think LS-1, LS-6) utilize short skirts, and have had these issues. They seem to be really finicky about piston/bore clearance.

JWhite
02-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Pros and cons? They all have them and they'll be different for different people!

"Each machine is better for different riders.

My honest UNBIASED opinion is that the YFZ and TRX is so close in performance that you can't hate either of them!

With the same rider, one may still be faster due to that person's specific style, as we ALL have a certain style and one will suit someone better than the other. So it all comes down to the RIDER of each which truly in the end determines the real winner!"

(some of this post was quoted from what somebody said at another forum, I totally agree with what he said)

The Honda works for me.

TRX450ROwner
02-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Pros and cons? They all have them and they'll be different for different people!

"Each machine is better for different riders.

My honest UNBIASED opinion is that the YFZ and TRX is so close in performance that you can't hate either of them!

With the same rider, one may still be faster due to that person's specific style, as we ALL have a certain style and one will suit someone better than the other. So it all comes down to the RIDER of each which truly in the end determines the real winner!"

(some of this post was quoted from what somebody said at another forum, I totally agree with what he said)

The Honda works for me.

That is the best explaination of have seen yet.
When this guy talks we should all listen.
BRAVO:devil:

Z-135
02-06-2004, 11:16 AM
holeshot 19,
What jet did you run did you do anything to the air box? Did it make a difference? Thanks!

holeshot19
02-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Z-135
holeshot 19,
What jet did you run did you do anything to the air box? Did it make a difference? Thanks! my duncan fat boy came today and my prm skids im going to install tomorow. jason w just droped of his front shocks im going to revalve them and try to jet his carb tomorow since he has removed his baffel