PDA

View Full Version : UFR Landed in Indy!

Honda
01-30-2004, 01:53 PM
It's Finally here. Dealer just called me!

An Unidentified Flying R has Landed in the Heartland!!!

Beam me up Scotty!!!

Honda
01-31-2004, 11:20 AM
O.K. Guys and Gals

I made my way down to Dreyer Honda today to check out the new -R-.

Someone had said that Pictures don't do it justice! That is a very accurate statement. The New Honda just looks mean, and the Gap some are complaining about near the tank, I beleive is actually an air vent. May allow extra air forced under the front plastic to exscape. It actually looks really cool in my opinion.

They also had a 400EX, and a Yamaha Branch next door, more on that later.
The R is Much, Wider and Longer than the 400EX. The R sits lower also and has a stance much like the 88-89 250R. The Controls on the R are much easier to operate than the EX. Clutch pull is lighter, Thumb Throttle lighter, The EX front brake lever feels real mushy, the 450R front brake lever is very firm, no mush!

Sitting on the R? Like a 400EX and a 250R combined. The EX feels a lot smaller and more cramped. I love the Waffle Grips! WOW.
The Handle bars seemed a little far forward on the R. But I think this is because they had the Bars rolled forward, I prefer mine to be pulled back towards me a bit. Contrary to what I have heard, the tank is really narrow on the R. It actually felt like I was sitting on an XR Dirtbike. Not quite as narrow as the YFZ, or a CR dirtbike, somewhere in between.

One very nice thing about the R, It is very uncluttered and strait to the point. No extra wires and uneccasary clutter. Looks a lot easier to wrench on than both the EX and the YFZ.

One thing about the front plastic. The front fenders are removable, but you will have to take two pop rivets out of each fender to get them off. Other than that it is just a couple of bolts that hold them on. Also I would reccomend putting some Protective film over the sides of the tank, as I would hate to have to buy a new tank because of it being all scratched up.

After checking out the R, we ran over to Dryer Yamaha/ Suzuki. I wasn't sure if they would have a YFZ to compare the Honda against, we lucked out because they happened to have a White and a Blue one.

Sitting on the YFZ, I can tell you Honestly, the controls don't feel nearly as easy to use. The Clutch is stiffer, the Thumb throttle is harder to push and the front brake lever is slightly more squishy.

When you look at the YFZ, it doesn't seem as wide or long as the R. This may just be visual though, as I believe the R is narrower and slightly shorter?
One thing is Definate, The R's seat is a lot softer and definatly more comfortable. Sitting on the YFZ, felt like I was sitting on a slab of concrete. Very hard seat! Otherwise it felt O.K.

Overall I was very impressed with the new TRX. It is Gorgeaus, much nicer in person. Pictures really don't do it justice. Seemed to be very comfortable and well made.

The best part of the day. I got to take home a Honda Service manual for the New R. Cost out the door was under $55.00. Got some reading to do tonight.

twisted threads
01-31-2004, 11:57 AM
I did the same thing last friday. When I was going to the Honda shop I was ready to give up on the new trx450r, then I saw the the new honda sitting there by a 400ex and the trx450r was WAY better! I like the feel of the YFZ but I like the new 450r a little better.

Honda
01-31-2004, 12:03 PM
Same here. The EX looked like a 300 next to the 450R. The YFZ just didn't have that Honda Feel. It looks cheaper also.

One more thing. The dealer was charging list price for the YFZ, PlUuuuuussss Freight, Prep and set up and Tax. The Tag on the YFZ was almost $8000.00 . Same dealer for the Honda, Sticker plus Tax!

Honda
01-31-2004, 12:06 PM
LOL!!!

Ever get out on the trail and get to a spot, take your helmet off and just relax a minute?

The New R has that relaxed sit on the seat and breath a little, feel to it. Very comfortable.

twisted threads
01-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Yep! the new 450r makes you feel right at Home. It feels awsome when your sitting on it. MAN it sucks I can't get one until JUNE.....O well I will have lots of Info on it by then.:D

nikejoe
02-02-2004, 09:45 AM
You are right, pictures do not do it justice! I was in there Sat morning about 10:00am or so. I was going back to the parts section, and was kind of in a hurry. I walked in the door and started to round the corner and was stopped in my tracks! That is one BAD *** Quad!!!! IT LOOKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

It was a pleasant surprise! They said it was their first one! The parts guy also told me that of the 16 that they are allowed for the year, 9 are already sold! Now that some demand, now they just need to work on the supply!!!!:p