PDA

View Full Version : TRX vs. YFZ......shootout

Evan400ex
01-30-2004, 12:23 PM
I just got the March issue of dirt wheels. They had a shootout between the Gas Gas 450, YFZ, and the TRX. Well, the YFZ won the shootout. Even though they said the YFZ and TRX were dead even in every drag race they had, the YFZ was an overall better quad for racing. They said the front end on the TRX was way to light for motocross and that the bike got tippy going into turns. They put the TRX in more of a trail riding category unlike the race-ready YFZ.

I thought the TRX would have been more competitive than what they described it as. It actually had a couple ponies less than the YFZ in stock form. Also, it had less power when both were modded out by builders. :grr:

ATC83
01-30-2004, 01:23 PM
I read the shoot out, I don't think this is going to be a very good year for Honda's high performance quad. I think that Honda just couldn't make up there mind as to what kind of bike they were building. It seems like they were trying to build a bike that was for all types of riding; trail, sport, motocross. Unfortunately the bike ended up not being great for any of these applications. Its geared to tall and doesn't have an e-start for trail riding and it doesn't make enough power or have good ergonomics for racing. Yamaha seemes to have done a much better job. They put together a purpose built quad for racing and only racing. They didn't compramise on anything.

trueblue450
01-30-2004, 01:24 PM
what does dirtwheels know.. ill believe it when i see it!

twisted threads
01-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by trueblue450

I AGREE!! Man some of you are sure crying alot about what you read in the Mags!! They said the 400ex was the worst in the 400 shootout :o The 400ex might be little light on the HP but is still rocks on the trails. The new trx 450r WILL BE A GREAT quad!

ATC83
01-30-2004, 01:40 PM

I don't always believe what Dirt Wheels says either but I have every issue going back to June 1982 when Tommy Gain was on the cover testing the 1982 Honda ATC185s and for that magazine to pick a Yamaha over a Honda in a high performance shoot-out the Honda must be REALLY bad. I can't remember the last time a Honda high performance bike has ever lost in a shoot-out in Dirt Wheels. Honda is so far up Dirt Wheels a@@ that they are practically kissing there pancreas. Lets look back at the winners, 1981- Honda ATC250R, 1982 - Honda ATC 250R, 1983 - Honda ATC250R, 1984 - Honda ATC250R. 1985 - Honda ATC250R(the Suzuki Quad Racer was also a winner in the shoot-out), 1986 - Honda ATC250R and Fourtrax 250R, 1987 - Honda Fourtrax250R, 1988 - Honda Fourtrax250, 1989 - Honda Fourtrax250R. As you can see Dirt Wheels has always had a love affair with Honda and they certainly aren't capable of judging them unbiased. The fact that the Yamaha won only leads me to believe that the TRX must really be far below the Yamaha.

quadrcr161
01-30-2004, 01:42 PM
i can see the tall gearing and the e-start for the woods. but mine will be on a mx and TT track. i didnt like the yamaha's i rode but i like the way my 450r feels. it feels tall and the suspension felt ok. once i put my mx tires it will lower it a lot more and improve its turning quality. i wish everyone would stop this useless bench racing and take it to the tracks b/c once modified its going to come down to the rider. its all going to be which bike you want to ride, hell all the new perormance quads are based off the honda 250r and the aftermarket designs. this is a time when you can buy several sport quads and go compete. people should be happy, this is what they have been waiting on.

ATC83
01-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
i can see the tall gearing and the e-start for the woods. but mine will be on a mx and TT track. i didnt like the yamaha's i rode but i like the way my 450r feels. it feels tall and the suspension felt ok. once i put my mx tires it will lower it a lot more and improve its turning quality. i wish everyone would stop this useless bench racing and take it to the tracks b/c once modified its going to come down to the rider. its all going to be which bike you want to ride, hell all the new perormance quads are based off the honda 250r and the aftermarket designs. this is a time when you can buy several sport quads and go compete. people should be happy, this is what they have been waiting on.

I don't think you have ever sat on a YFZ because if you have you would know that the ergonomics doen't feel anything like my 250R did.

twisted threads
01-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by ATC83
I don't think you have ever sat on a YFZ because if you have you would know that the ergonomics doen't feel anything like my 250R did.

yep the R feels better.:blah: ;)
I wish I had a lot of money so I could go by all the new toys Honda and Yamaha are makeing for all of us.

quadrcr161
01-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ATC83

i didnt say the ergonomics were the same as a 250r, and yes i have ridden a yfz and i hated the way it felt while i was sitting on it. they are changing a lot of the suspension to hold 250r stuff and even the suzuki can interchange a few 250r parts i beleive.

Honda
01-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Yea I sat on a YFZ at Dreyer. It felt like it Sucked!

trueblue450
01-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Yea I sat on a YFZ at Dreyer. It felt like it Sucked!

great point!!! http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

exatak199
01-30-2004, 04:23 PM
dirt wheeles gets paid to say nice things about the yammi.:o

Mxjunkie
01-30-2004, 06:05 PM
My friends that have the yammahammers around here havent said anything bad about them. But dont know dont wanna give up on gold old red just yet.

only_banshees
01-30-2004, 06:29 PM
All the mag said was the yamaha is more track ready to race then the Honda in stock trim, it does the job better if riding hard and agressive on the track.

But as with all Honda's its more user friendly and more adaptable for all types of riding, they didnt really direct it for mx as yamaha did

Its simply what bike you prefer to ride or what brand, these days as long as new bikes like the crf and yzf are coming out how can we complain which one is better yet till some time has gone by and we see which racer is actually doing better because of what atv they are ridingor raving about. Its all about the rider and a good set up helps, enough bashing, Yamaha did a good job with this atv, it had too the dirtbike is a beast on the track. Honda didnt make me change my mind with this atv, its ugly, not like thats important but it matters to some people, so does the kick start feature. But seriously to say its the next "R" nah they need to take that back, its an insult to any die hard 250r rider.

jb500ex
01-30-2004, 06:48 PM
honda is going too lose alot of sales and reputation. for starters their will be no pro's other then farr racing it, everyone is on a yfz and a couple z 400's and that is something that hasn't happened too honda. then with all the bad press heads are gonna roll. if they are as uptight about their quads as their bike race teams honda headquarters is not a pleasent place to be this week

Barely legal
01-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by exatak199
dirt wheeles gets paid to say nice things about the yammi.:o

And they get paid even more to say nice things about the Honda. Turst me, that's the deal. Notice how they said ever so nicely that the Honda did not compare. "It's a nice trail machine. YFZ is by far the best jumper."
Don't worry, I'll do my own review this weekend when I see one out riding. :devil:

Barely legal
01-30-2004, 07:36 PM
great point!!! http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif
Might as well get on a tippy honda then. :p
Ever sit on a MX bike?? Nevermind.

The Yami is incredible in the real world.

only_banshees
01-30-2004, 07:43 PM
all the mags are stating this fact. Guess Yamaha must be paying all of them then. lol:p

Time will tell. I personally dont race so either bike wont be in my garage. I have a 250r/300ex/400ex And a shop full of Banshees to play with, I like both brands or all brands since what ever quad I ride will bring me a good riding day. Thats whats important not what brand I am riding.

01-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Now, Now, we all know that the only reason that Honda keeps winning all those shoot outs in the mags is because they are faster.:rolleyes: