PDA

View Full Version : Im gonna need a chain what kind???

QuadJunkies
01-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Im TOTTALY clueless on this one Guys and Gals....
Were thinking its time to replace the stock chain . Im not sure if I should just get another stock one or upgrade to something else.......What would you reccomend? Any pics ?? And pricing please??????? Thanks!

01-30-2004, 10:41 AM
i got a new oring chain off ebay for cheap & cut it to the length I needed. this chain is holding up great. whatever chain you get, make sure its an oring or xring...xring is a waste of money though IMO, its almost the same thing as an oring

shamisc
01-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I would get SideWinder. It's very pricey, but it will last 3-4 times longer than any other and wind up being cheaper in the long run. You can get the Ti-Moly kit, which includes the counter shaft sprocket, rear sprocket, and a chain for around $300. The sprockets and chain are made of Ti-Moly. It will be the last you ever buy! Which ever route you take, you still need new sprockets. A new chain won't last long on worn sprockets. A decent chain and good sprockets will prob run up around $150 anyway, so why not go ahead with the SideWinder and be finished? JMO! I've had alot of trouble in the past with broken cases and broke chains leaving me stranded miles from home. That's why I went with SideWinder! I hope this helps ya!

AndrewRRR
01-30-2004, 12:40 PM
You can get a Krause (aka Sidewinder) but seems to me it would take quite a while for that setup to pay for itself. I am going to get one for the banshee (it's $140 for the chain alone from my engine guy) but i'm planning on pushing that over the 100hp mark and I don't want to have to worry about breaking a chain (They are rated to 14,000lbs tensile strength).
I've had really good luck with the DID 520 X-ring ATV chains. They are very strong, last forever, and don't cost their weight in gold. I got one after I broke the crap chain on my R and it's held up to all the abuse I can give it (lots of drag racing with a high power motor!). I got my 96 link one from Rocky Mountain for about $70. You might want to get sprockets too. I like Sunstar. Renthals are nice but overpriced.
If you shop around you can get a new chain and a set of sprockets for $100 and have them last a long time.

QuadJunkies
01-30-2004, 12:49 PM
WOW!!!!:eek2: I had no idea a chain was that pricey~~~!
Thanks for the ideas, I no nothing really about chains,but I DO know I cant and wont pay 300.00 for any chain... Do any of them come in different colors too?? If I call RMATV, do you think they would be of any help as well?????? Im sure they would,but thought I would still ask......;)

'03'300ex'er
01-30-2004, 01:57 PM
you should be able to see pic's of colored chains at www.denniskirk.com

JD400exrider
01-30-2004, 04:27 PM
I have been running the DID X ring chain. I have not had any problems as of yet. There is no question that the sidewinder chain and sprockets are great and lickely the best you can buy. In my opinion and from I have seen with friends that have very high torque 493ex or yz450 motor cycle they tend to stretch chains more than than the average built motor. When i built the 416 i decided to get new chain. The cost of the DID ATV X ring is around 60-65 bucks. I bought it from C&D. If I was racing every weekend I would probably look into the sidewinder. As a weekend rider I can't justify the price.

And for the person that said the x ring is a waist of money. I disagree. for the extra 5- 10 bucks over an O ring chain. the X ring does have a higher tensile strength and the X ring is supposed to keep dirt out easier, but wheo knows on that. I got this info out of the rocky mountain catalog. Thought it may help ya a little. :cool:

Tensile strengh of some chains

DID 520 ERT 8470 lbs.
DID X Ring 8120 lbs.

RK Chain 520 standard 7200lbs.
RK X ring 7400 lbs.

Renthal 520 R-3 O ring 7,034 lbs.
Renthal R-1 Works chain 7,060 lbs.

Primary Drive 520 H Racing Chain 8,510 lbs.
Primary Drive 520 RDO O Ring Chain 7,850 l bs.
Primary Drive 520 ORH X Ring Chain 8,120 lbs.

roostin_dale
01-30-2004, 04:44 PM
DID X-ring

AndrewRRR
01-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
WOW!!!!:eek2: I had no idea a chain was that pricey~~~!
Thanks for the ideas, I no nothing really about chains,but I DO know I cant and wont pay 300.00 for any chain... Do any of them come in different colors too?? If I call RMATV, do you think they would be of any help as well?????? Im sure they would,but thought I would still ask......;)

Rocky Mountain has always been really helpful to me on the phone, I'd give them a call.
I've seen different color chains in their catalog, i forget who makes them. I think they were non O-ring chains. All the DID X-rings are gold. Sidewinders are a cool silver, but thats because they are titanium, lol.

01-30-2004, 11:44 PM
i dont know bout u guys but i kninda like the design of the stock chain on the honda if thats what quad ur lookin for. i dont have to worry bout my master link clip comin off or anything and btw on my 300 that happend alot.

QuadJunkies
01-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Jingle
i dont know bout u guys but i kninda like the design of the stock chain on the honda if thats what quad ur lookin for. i dont have to worry bout my master link clip comin off or anything and btw on my 300 that happend alot. But hwo do you think it will hold up with a 426 bore:D The stock has been a GREAT chain.No complaints there!!

01-31-2004, 12:38 AM
The regina orn is the sickest chain out, NEW it comes with a copper cote on the rollers for that first holeshot on that chain.(the copper has less friction!) :cool:

another thing you might want to do is switch to a steel sprocket. they make the longevity of the rear sprocklet twice to 3 times as long. if you can spare the weight its a decent idea.

tnine416
01-31-2004, 08:26 AM
check out gtthunder.com , they have a dyno that compares an x-ring and an 0-ring... theres a 1hp diff.

dirtmomma
01-31-2004, 09:09 AM
QJ I would just go get a DID x ring, man you don't have to spend $300 :o on a chain!!! Must be nice to have that kind of money huh LMAO!!! We run a bike master :o on our blaster & it holds up good too but it is cheap(yes I'm cheap oh I mean on a budget) just get a DID!!!!

RED121572
01-31-2004, 11:18 AM
Tina,

Since you race and you probobly maintain your machine 10 times better than 75% of us on here, consider the following....

A non o-ring chain. The o-rings in the chain make the chain stiffer and rob horsepower...and there cheaper. The draw back to those chains is that you have to scrub them often to keep em clean.

RED

AndrewRRR
01-31-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by tnine416
check out gtthunder.com , they have a dyno that compares an x-ring and an 0-ring... theres a 1hp diff.

That sounds suspicious. I read an article a while back that said the difference between an o-ring and non o-ring is a very small fraction of a horsepower, I can't imagine there would be a full hp difference between an o-ring and a x-ring.

01-31-2004, 12:08 PM
b/c there isnt that big of a differnece with chains...especially the o-ring's & the x-rings, they ar exact same except price. holy shiit..

twisted threads
01-31-2004, 12:25 PM
But hwo do you think it will hold up with a 426 bore:D The stock has been a GREAT chain.No complaints there!!

Trust me stock chains will hold up to a 426.;) If I was going to put a new chain on my EX (which im going to soon) its going to be a DID ATV X-ring. I have a DID on my R and if that chain can hold up on it you will have no problems with your EX.:cool:

Dave400ex
01-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Order the DID chain and Sunstar sprockets from C&D!

QuadJunkies
02-01-2004, 10:49 AM
thanks everyone for all the advice!!!! Ill let you know what I get.....;)

Yee-Haw_400EX
09-26-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do;jsessionid=8EFE7D409199E97BA216EA 82342392DA.webrmatv?prodFamilyId=9634&navTitle=Drive&vehicleId=3011&webCatId=9&webTypeId=123&stockId=67957&navType=type

09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
www.ebay.com

JOEX
09-26-2005, 08:53 PM
thanks everyone for all the advice!!!! Ill let you know what I get.....;)
What did you get?:devil: :p

400exrider0004
09-26-2005, 10:17 PM
RK Chains

QuadJunkies
09-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
What did you get?:devil: :p I have had two chains since... Ill have to ask what he got cuase I cant remeber now !!! :o :p lol

No, I jsut went and looked at my box this time he got a Primary Drive 520H chain 520x106 for my new swinger, the one I had before its still in perfect shape, I just needed a longer one for the new Swinger Arm :) and the price was GREAT! Lets hope it holds up nicely.

nakomis0
09-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Sidewinder non O-ring. I love it and its lasted for 2 yrs so far with lots of abuse.

I just oil it regularly.

I even was riding with a broken swingarm for a few months.. the chain would pop off and lock up on the sprocket so I would have to stand on the chain and bounce up and down to get it loose,... yaaaa .. that happened quite a few times and the chains still holding up.:)

honda400ex2003
10-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Did anyone else look at all of the charts on the gt thunder site? How do you get more horsepower with just the proline exhaust than you do with a full 440ex kit? That sounds alittle suspicious to me. The exhaust was like 39 horse and the 440ex was only like 38 horse that is really weird. Maybe he has some of his charts messed up. Just my two cents though. I also prefer x-ring. I have had mine for about two months with no problems yet. And sorry for changing the subject I just thought that was fishy. Since we were talking about the chain difference in horses. Steve

rockman
10-02-2005, 10:06 PM
www.ebay.com
lol

smorris
10-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Look at your stock chain closely----the honda comes with a DID from the factory...I'm pretty sure it is the x-ring.It will have DID stamped in the side plates if it is. IMO the DID x-ring is the best.
Ran em on my big bore 250r 's for a whole season at the time!Still looked like a new chain after all that racing!!
A standard chain would stretch after every race.And only last about two to three races before worn out. You get what you pay for.