PDA

View Full Version : Seriously,Can a 416ex Smoke a Raptor?

Pro400EXC
02-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Hey guys. I will probably be getting a 416 kit soon (now I have a Job,woo hoo!)

The kit will have a 416 piston (11:1),TC drop in cam,porting and polish,and bore the carb and 16/36 gearing. I will get a 39 or 41mm FCR down the road and also a Sparks X6 pipe.

Now can any of you guys that have the same or similar set-up and have Drag Raced Raptors,could you beat the Raptor?and by how much?

I want to go up to some Raptors and be like,hey wanna race?I just got this 400ex,its stock, and I wanna see what it has. And then smile cause I beat them!

Also I here a stock 400ex with 16/36 gearing will go 75mph?id thisd true?

Thanks,any input will be great!

coryatver
02-25-2002, 06:26 PM
With a 16 tooth front sprocket it will go 73.19 mph. But it would take longer than it would to get up to speed like a 15. But with a 416 you would have the power to pull it so i think you could dust a raptor. I can almost keep up stock there not that much faster.

coryatver
02-25-2002, 06:27 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm
Gabe's Gearing calculator

02-26-2002, 05:27 AM
When my quad was stock i could almost keep up with and dust Raptors in drags now there is no question i can dust them so bad-I beat them by 4 or 5 quad lengths. The 416 should royally waste on them.

Just my 2 Cents. OO

fourtrax400ex
02-26-2002, 05:55 AM
i have a similar setup (check at the end of the reply) and yes you can easyli smoke a raptor stock (about 3-4lenght) and even a light modded raptor, but if you have the porting and fcr carb it will be a piece of cake!!!

you will be able to run 16/36 gearing but maybe a 15/36 gearing will be better, it will take less time to go to our top speed, and maybe your motor will rpm higher so you will have the same top speed, just do some test!

ChadEXer
02-26-2002, 07:17 AM
I have the 416 and I was at the drag races this weekend. I will tell you now, my 416 will spank a raptor. Even a piped and jetted raptor. but I will tell you, stay with stock gearing. I went to the 16t up front and it bogged down a little with the 2nd gear take offs. When I went back to the 15 up front I was hurting there feelings. If you DONT do a lot of drag racing a 16t up front is great. But just for 300-500 ft drags stay with the stock. Also PRO 400EXC, I wouldnt get the carb if I was you. I have called all the engine builders.(Duncan,TC,CT,Trinity,FST,Sparks) and all but one say keep the stock carb on the 400. Take the choke out and if you want you could even do a little boring on it. Over $400 for a carb isnt worth the money if you ask me. However some may argue with that. Oh yeah when you spank those Raptors and they say "man, what the he!! you got in that thing" Just do what I do. Say "nothin I just cleaned my airfilter last night" Then watch them go back to the truck and start cleaning the sh_t out of there airfilter!!!!!!!!!!