PDA

View Full Version : getting the 450R next week, sat on it, looked it over, ideas/feel of it

TC17
01-29-2004, 09:30 PM
i got the call today. pictures DON'T do justice. i've been looking at pics of this for almost 6 months. he got one of the 450's in today. he's getting another one in Monday. no one has put any money down so they're both free to buy. as long as my sponsor Thomas Automotive opens up a race account for me and dumps some money in i'll be doing some Supercross on the 450 next week. I'm REALLY excited about this. I don't know when they're goign to get back to me though.

I went out today and sat on it. I REALLY like the feel of it. it's meant for a guy over 5'6. the front end feels big, bigger than the 400. it feels like the 400ex except for a few things. the seat is as wide as dirtbike. it's extremely narrow in the center. the fenders look sweet. they look really good when you sit on it. however, the front nosepiece really needs a scoop or a change. the bars feel a little too much forward for a 5'5 130 pound guy like me.

the HRC hop up kit isn't real great. the hop-up exhaust was rather quiet. for racing, i don't recomend it. you get more power out of it, and you need to hear yourself over the other quads. the cam is great for it, you can get jets anywhere. the only thing worth it is the cam. for $300 bucks it's a rip-off.

i was going to bring my camera in and take some pics but i didn't want to look too over-excited. i'll get some pics when i get it. i could have it anywhere from tomorrow night to 2 weeks from now. I'm waiting on a call from Mark Thomas.

i lifted the rear end up with one arm. it is EXTREMELY light. it's very roomy. you could put a 6' 3 guy on there and he wouldn't feel cramped. it'll take some getting used to, that's for sure. it kicks over like a charm. factory settings of the shocks seamed soft actually, they're fully adjustable so that's not a problem. the gas tank/knee placement was perfect. you can tuck your knees right up against it. the plastic looked much better than the pics, especially the front; all except for the nosepiece. the color scheme looked pretty cool, the black tank/bars with red plastic. i dont' like the space in between the gas tank, it's goign to be hard to put on graphics.

the diamond/half waffle grips felt really good. the thumb throttle is nothing like the other Hondas. it's extremely easy to push, you could ride trails all day long and not get tired. the clutch is exactly like the 400's ease. it's pretty easy. the new clutch lever makes it a little easier. there's lots of room for correction in mid-air. the rear end has much more room to lean off the quad, unlike the 400. the plastic doesn't get in the way. according to the design of arm placement and bars. i think it wants to be ridden with the rider leaning forward or sitting closer to the gas tank. i have long arms but you can only lean back so far without ducking forward. it doesn't seem like it wants you back way far on the seat. my knees where actually higher than the seat. it seems to have the same swingarm-linkage as the 400. i'd change a few things for show.

tomorrow i'll bring the camera and get some pics for you guys, i'm sure you want them. i'll get close ups on a few things too. overall, it seems like the perfect MX quad. it feels very forgiving and room for adjustment, unlike the 400ex. it looks great overall except the nosepiece and a few cosmetic items. can't wait to get some action pics and tell you exactly how it feels to be cornered, jumped, power, etc. the Honda is proven more powerful than the Yamaha in stock form.

exrider44
01-29-2004, 09:57 PM
I have to agree I love this quad and I only got to ride mine for like 10 mins last night!

TC17
01-29-2004, 10:28 PM
it feels like nothing i've ever been on. it's really different. i'll probably get a lower steering stem and some CR bends.