PDA

View Full Version : Best way to crate up motor for shipping?

NacsMXer
01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi, im going to be sending my engine to GT Thunder this weekend.......Finally!! and I would like to know any tips or ideas on how to prep the motor for shipping. Right now my only idea is building a wooden frame from scratch and either bolting the engine to the frame or securing it with tie downs. Then the whole shabang would go into a cardboard box. Anybody got any better ideas that could save me some time? Thanks a lot.

oldsandman
01-29-2004, 09:06 PM
I ship mine in a heavy cardboard box with foam padding cut to the contours of the motor.

Pappy
01-29-2004, 09:08 PM
the easiest way ive found is this:

go to wal mart and buy a $5 rubbermaid box with lid. line the bottom with cardboard and shock absorbing foam. insert the engine and pack stuff around it to keep it free from movement. install the lid and tape her up.

NacsMXer
01-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Cool, sounds good Pappy......quick and simple, thats what I was lookin' for. Thanks a lot for the quick help guys, I really appreciate it. :D

NacsRacing400
01-30-2004, 09:29 AM
You could also use scrap lumber and make a crate for it. I put mine into one and then covered the sides with cardboard.

wilkin250r
01-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
the easiest way ive found is this:

go to wal mart and buy a $5 rubbermaid box with lid. line the bottom with cardboard and shock absorbing foam. insert the engine and pack stuff around it to keep it free from movement. install the lid and tape her up.

Yep, same method, only I drill holes in the lip of the lid and zip-tie it closed.

NacsMXer
01-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Yep I was going to do the same thing today, just drill a couple holes and ziptie it shut. Much more secure that way.

AndrewRRR
01-30-2004, 12:43 PM
The rubbermaid box is the best method I've found. They are on sale at the fred meyer by my house for like $3, i think i'm gonna buy a few! Great for packing stuff to the dunes/trails/track too.

BeltSlipper
01-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Why use would and pay for the extra weight. Use rubbermaid, it's much lighter and doesn't cost much extra. And as mentioned in the above post, you can use it for other stuff also.
JMO

F-16Guy
01-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Make sure to put a piece of plywood and a lot of firm padding on the bottom of the Rubbermaid container. When I shipped my motor to ProFab, UPS dropped it or set it down too hard and cracked my stator cover.:mad:

NacsMXer
01-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Man, that sucks.....I feel ya on that one. :grr: Ill try to find some good firm padding or foam to pack her in tight. I can feel the power already........muhahaha.:devil:

BeltSlipper
01-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Just a suggestion. You can go to Wal-Mart and purchase a twin egg carton foam. Double it up on the bottom with 3/8" plywood between it. And wrap the motor in it, stuff it in the rubbermaid container, put the excess foam on top. Tape the lid shut, lick the stamp and send it on it way. Cheap motor packaging as it best.
Total motor crate and foam. Under $20.00 it just don't get any better than that!!!

01-30-2004, 11:49 PM
yeh i was gonna suggest u look at the lrd or hetrick site they have directions on how to ship ur motor but it is the rubermaid box way. i think that is the best way and its simple enough.

NacsMXer
02-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Motor's all packed up and ready to go now in the Rubbermaid box, I even had plenty of room for all the other goodies and parts to fit in there as well. Should ship out tommorrow and hopefully, (knock on wood) it arrives its destination safe and sound. Definitely the easiest way to do it thanks to you guys' help. Thanks again! :D