PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody not buy a 450R they had a deposit on?

trx440
01-29-2004, 08:01 PM
I passed on mine. Shocked the dealer. They had 5 other deposits so no loss.

After riding it I concluded:

- A properly built 440EX has more hp.

- I would spend $4600 immediately for:
- axle $375
- stem and bars $375
- Long travel a-arms / shocks $1650
- +2 swing-arm / shock $1100
- full exhaust $500
- chain / sprockets $250
- nerfs/bumper/grab $350
Not interested in a $12,000 quad now

- I can buy a LT 440ex for < $5k

- 450R; no electric start

- I would have to change my name

Maybe in 5 years I'll be the only person on EXRiders with an EX!?

RobRacing
01-29-2004, 08:23 PM
You would be way better off with the 450R than a 440ex. One thing for sure is that the 450 is liquid cooled and the 440 isn't. Antother thing is that the 440 is running on old technology. Your 440 might have more hp but in the end with the same mods i almost sure the 450R would smoke a 440 any day. Thats just my opionion.

Oregon450R
01-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm currently giving this a lot of thought! My main worry w/ the YFZ is if it will be reliable. But really (I'm just a weekend warrior) as long as it was as fast as a Raptor with a slip-on & jetting I'd be happy with the R. Does anyone know if a stock R is faster then a Raptor?

Maxx_Action
01-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Yup...

my friend had a deposit on two for him and his son. They saw the shootouts and changed their minds and went and got two Yamahas. I was a little disapointed I really wanted to see how they stacked up against each other on the trails and track.

Maxx

KILLER EX
01-29-2004, 08:44 PM
i did not have a deposit but i bought 7 bikes in one year from my dealer so they said the first one in the door was mine.i went on 1-26-04 when it was ready and passed on it i was not totally impressed.from what i have heard the engine performance is not as great as the yfz.plus i like the e-start button on the yfz

trx440
01-29-2004, 08:45 PM
I'll be better off with with a 02 LT 440ex and $7,000.

American V-8's, Harley-Davidson's and 400ex's; I'm a sucker for old technology!

01-30-2004, 09:35 AM
sounds to mee like you ex owners have either got too much money wrapped up in your ex and can't sell it or you aint got chit and are jealous of people who actually have something. i can't believe you traders would actually come to the conclusion that yamaha is better than honda after being loyal for so long. you ***ks belong at yfzcentral

Honda
01-30-2004, 10:02 AM
WAaaaaaaaaaaa, WAaaaaaaaaaaaaa, No Electric Start, WAaaaaaaaaa, WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......................

LMFAO Right Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's put Gay Start on DirtBikes to!!!!! LOL

Maxx_Action
01-30-2004, 10:18 AM
well...

you know it's getting bad when the Honda faithful start bashing each other. Peace fellas....

Maxx

Honda
01-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Just can't beleive all the whining!!!

The TRX250R! Best Damn quad EVER Built! Period! And guess what ladies and gentleman? NO ELECTRIC STARTER!

It is a Race Bike, if you want electric start maybe honda should offer it as an option, then charge yo ***'s extra for it.

86atc250r
01-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Rob,

It depends on what you are wanting to do with it. The 450 engine will always have significantly more potential than a 400EX based engine & should be more reliable doing it since it won't have to be built as close to the ragged edge to get similar performance levels.

One big advantage the 450 mill has is the useable RPM range over which it can operate. If not racing, this might not be a big deal, but in the last year of flat tracking, etc, I have found that I can deliver plenty of power with my 400EX based engine, but the overrev and useable range just isn't there when compared to modern 4 strokes like the Cannondale and YFZ.

Another factor you can't fix on the 400 is it's weight. The EX engine is a monster (one of my EX's went from over 400lbs wet to under 350lbs wet when I put my CR500 engine in). Sure, some will say it's easier to eat a couple fewer cheezeburgers every week, but the fact remains that rider weight and quad weight are two different things entirely when it comes to handling.

All in all, it may not be worth it for what you're doing & 400ex's in various states of modification can be stolen right now. Guess it's the way the market works....

brandonpeake
01-30-2004, 10:37 AM
well i was in about the sameboat i was going to buy a yfz, but i didnt want a 10g quad either you know maybe it might be faster in a drag or whatever but i ride trals and xc and rider counts alot here,
and the MAIN point i thought he was making is what i thought also, 400ex built have around 6gs in it, i was going to get the yfz for 6200 out the door, and i wouyld have around 10g's in it
i would rather have the modded 400ex right now for 6200 than a stock yfz
just me

400extracc
01-30-2004, 04:01 PM
imo, i wouldn't buy the trx450r or the yfz450 quads just yet. they are too new, something is going to go wrong with them. it will take a year or so to work out the bugs. might look into buying one next year.

and yes hondarep#1 we 400ex-r's have put too much money into our quads, but we love em.:p

TCracin440ex
01-30-2004, 05:06 PM
400ex is old technology as some 1 said......old, out dated, slow...but still winning races bro...come on now dont bash the 400ex...ive never had 1 problem outta my 400ex what so ever

trx440
01-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by hondarep#1
sounds to mee like you ex owners have either got too much money wrapped up in your ex and can't sell it or you aint got chit and are jealous of people who actually have something. i can't believe you traders would actually come to the conclusion that yamaha is better than honda after being loyal for so long. you ***ks belong at yfzcentral

1. Sold my CT440 for $6500 to buy the 450R and it isn't [stock] the bike my EX was [modded]. Mod for mod, obviously the 450R will be better but $7000 gets you a stock 450R, $4500 [or less] gets you a FULLY modded long travel 440EX. I no longer race and have no need for a + $ 10,000 quad.

2. Unless you have a Porsche 959 I doubt I am jealous of anything you own.

3. How can we be traders? We ain't getting paid to ride Red. If they start paying us and giving us quads then I'm sure everyone will stick around.

4. Until you have 10 posts, shut you pie hole, jagbag.

trx440
01-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Honda
WAaaaaaaaaaaa, WAaaaaaaaaaaaaa, No Electric Start, WAaaaaaaaaa, WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......................

LMFAO Right Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's put Gay Start on DirtBikes to!!!!! LOL

The last 55hp KTM I rode had it. I guess it was the "gay button" that made that thing a real "Flamer"

TCracin440ex
01-30-2004, 08:19 PM
trx440 your right im finding it kinda hard to part with my 400ex...they are good bikes man....i have about 2500.00 in my 400ex and just to let all that go away for like 3 grand is not worth it to me....so i decided im keepin the 400ex and gettin the 450r too

jb500ex
01-30-2004, 08:21 PM
i'm buying a new bike but keeping my modded 400ex

trx440
01-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Just can't beleive all the whining!!!

The TRX250R! Best Damn quad EVER Built! Period! And guess what ladies and gentleman? NO ELECTRIC STARTER!

It is a Race Bike, if you want electric start maybe honda should offer it as an option, then charge yo ***'s extra for it.

Obviously you haven't been around that long.

The 250R is the best quad the AFTERMARKET ever built. And we kicked it because that's all we had. I kicked every off-road vehicle I ever owned [except snowmobiles] till the EX. For 15 pounds, I'll take the magic button.

Your suggestion on Honda offering an electric start option is a good idea. I would buy one when I could find a used one for @ $5k. Wonder why they didn't think about that? Maybe it's becuz they would be 15lbs heavier than the YFZ if they did.

TCracin440ex
01-30-2004, 08:29 PM
ive got a few more things that im doing to my 400ex like pro design kill switch, number plates/backgrounds, barnette clutch, new clutch cable, and im done with my 400ex...i wont do any major big mods to it any more

trx440
01-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Rob,

It depends on what you are wanting to do with it. The 450 engine will always have significantly more potential than a 400EX based engine & should be more reliable doing it since it won't have to be built as close to the ragged edge to get similar performance levels.

One big advantage the 450 mill has is the useable RPM range over which it can operate. If not racing, this might not be a big deal, but in the last year of flat tracking, etc, I have found that I can deliver plenty of power with my 400EX based engine, but the overrev and useable range just isn't there when compared to modern 4 strokes like the Cannondale and YFZ.

Another factor you can't fix on the 400 is it's weight. The EX engine is a monster (one of my EX's went from over 400lbs wet to under 350lbs wet when I put my CR500 engine in). Sure, some will say it's easier to eat a couple fewer cheezeburgers every week, but the fact remains that rider weight and quad weight are two different things entirely when it comes to handling.

All in all, it may not be worth it for what you're doing & 400ex's in various states of modification can be stolen right now. Guess it's the way the market works....

Gabe,

As usual you are 100% correct. We've spoken at length about the 450R over the last few years and you know I was as excited about it as anyone but my needs and expectaions have now changed. Give me a reliable, long traveled mid 40's hp HONDA and I'll be happy. Especially if I don't have to kick it. As I stated above, there are mods that any quad I own will have. I can get a fully modded EX for $4500 or the 450R after mods that will push $12,000. The difference to me as a duner isn't cost justified.

My racing days are over. I may race the Adelanto GP once cuz I have always wanted to but besides that it's Glamis/Buttercup and Coral Pink till I cash in my chips.

Are you ever gonna come out and go duning with us ?? It only takes once and you'll have the homestead on the market. ;) -RT

400grl
01-30-2004, 08:53 PM
WOW..........so much for my ride on your new 450R, huh? ;) JP!

I sold my 440 a while ago - after putting about $4500 in mods into it to get it fully MX ready.......it was pretty sweet!!! Someone out there has a pretty sick quad! But.....I am still waiting and watching the 450's....both red and blue. I am not completely sure what I will wind up getting.......who would have thought this would be such a tough choice?? Not me!!!

I'm sort of feeling like I'm in the Twilight zone lately anyway.....I'm seriously considering a Yami race quad.....and I have been eyeing those 2004 Ford F150's, too......(I'm a Chevy girl!) - what is the world coming to??? :D

MIA450R
01-30-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm a GM guy myself....400grl...and drive a Grand Prix GTP (modded for speed of course)

But I agree, those Ford F150s....especially the Harley Davidson and or Lightening/SVT models....are sweet.

Cant go wrong buying a red or blue 450. Pick a color. If you're going to race, you're going to mod it. In the long run, either one will mod out nicely for racing.

Have fun kid.

trx440
01-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
WOW..........so much for my ride on your new 450R, huh? ;) JP!

Dang, I forgot I promised you a ride. I'll have to go buy it after all. Anything for Corry! :p

I stopped by Auggie Goebel's house the other day to look at his 440EX he won the Dirt Riot on. I think I'm gonna make him an offer on it and all the EX parts he has lying around. The parts are key as I have a 440 parts bike that needs finishing. There is another quad in town that I would rather have but he won't come down on the $$$.

BTW Corry, is the Cayenne V6 out yet? How are they priced? I know the MSRP base is $42,900 but can you get one under $50,000 nicely equipped? Do you have a waiting list? Momma wants one to haul the kid around in. I think she just wants to look like a Gainey Ranch trophy wife. I'm hesitant to do the luxury SUV thing again, my last Range Rover's service bills put one of Mr. Penskes grand kids thru Harvard.:(
-RT

400grl
01-31-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by trx440
Dang, I forgot I promised you a ride. I'll have to go buy it after all. Anything for Corry! :p

I stopped by Auggie Goebel's house the other day to look at his 440EX he won the Dirt Riot on. I think I'm gonna make him an offer on it and all the EX parts he has lying around. The parts are key as I have a 440 parts bike that needs finishing. There is another quad in town that I would rather have but he won't come down on the $$$.

BTW Corry, is the Cayenne V6 out yet? How are they priced? I know the MSRP base is $42,900 but can you get one under $50,000 nicely equipped? Do you have a waiting list? Momma wants one to haul the kid around in. I think she just wants to look like a Gainey Ranch trophy wife. I'm hesitant to do the luxury SUV thing again, my last Range Rover's service bills put one of Mr. Penskes grand kids thru Harvard.:(
-RT

Yeah - August's bike is pretty nice! Let me know if you get it! :) It has lots o good parts!! :)

The V6 is either out right now or coming out VERY soon! I'm sure if the base starts at $42k, you can get a well equipped one for what you are looking at........not sure on the waiting list!! PM to remind me and I can find out for you......

LOL on the service bills!!!! I hear you on that one!! ;) I know their warranties are EXCELLENT though......for 4 years or 50,000 miles you can bring that thing in for anything but tires pretty much! Even tires sometimes.......but Discount is usually a better deal! The Cayennes are SO nice........

I might have a really nice little 04 Banshee for sale soon.....when I find out what I am going to buy for the track!! :) heheheheh The figuring out is the hard part.......:macho

400grl
01-31-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by MIA450R
I'm a GM guy myself....400grl...and drive a Grand Prix GTP (modded for speed of course)

But I agree, those Ford F150s....especially the Harley Davidson and or Lightening/SVT models....are sweet.

Cant go wrong buying a red or blue 450. Pick a color. If you're going to race, you're going to mod it. In the long run, either one will mod out nicely for racing.

Have fun kid.

Yeah......even the color choice is a hard one!! I just gotta get some seat time - that will tell me everything I need to know I guess! :)

Scottie Mac
01-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by trx440
[
4. Until you have 10 posts, shut you pie hole, jagbag. [/B]

HAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHH AHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

Funny,
Scott

Ralph
01-31-2004, 08:33 AM
all i gotta say!

300extreme#8
01-31-2004, 02:59 PM
i think there is nothin wrong with 400exs ,but it really just depends on what kinda rider you are,i ride my friends 400ex all the time and alot of them won't let me ride them anymore b/c i ride the ***** outta everything i ride,and the power is good, way better then my 300ex ofcourse but when i get my 450 i know i can still ride it like a 400ex the handling should be bout the same maybe alil better,but if i ever decide to big to nationals i have the extra power if i need it,and it's updated ,the only reason i decided to get the 450 is i know i will end up at the track with it,and i know i can win with a 400ex,but where is that goin to get me racing a 400ex with maybe 2,000 dollars in it,not far. once you move up the quads get better and faster and better riders,so i decided to try and get a 450 b/c the power is there.but it all depends on what kinda rider you are.if your goin to just piddle around the yard and trail ride stick with a 400ex that has the power for that,but if you want to race and you want to get good and faster get the 450 hands down,a 400ex isn't goin to get you far without 10,000 + or so,and if you race a 400ex your goin to have to get alot better to make up for everything you don't have.with with the e-start if your too much of a wimp to kick a bar them you need to quit ridin and never talk about racing 4wheelers ever again,get a 4x4 or something,

linkcmd88
01-31-2004, 03:25 PM
ya i had a deposit on one but i got the yamaha but today i went to the guy that i got my 400 from and he got a 450r i sat on it kicked it over and im glad that i got the yfz but it is ez to kick

4punksdad
01-31-2004, 06:11 PM
I didn't buy the one I had a deposit on either. I got one from another dealer sooner! Called dealer #1 and got a refund for my deposit.:macho

trx440
01-31-2004, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 300extreme#8
[B] "way better then my 300ex ofcourse"

I guess that goes without saying. I can't believe you are giving others advice.
----------------------------------------------------------

"a 400ex isn't goin to get you far without 10,000 + or so"

BS, you can buy loaded LT EX's with aftermarket frames for under $5k. If I were racing and on a budget, I would rather have that than a stock 450R . Plus you know you are gonna upgrade the things I have said up top. At the very least you have to put nerfs, bars, kill switch and tires on it. $550. Now you are $7500 vs. $5000. And who really races [mx] with stock axle, rims, exhaust, a-arms, swingarm and shocks? Even if you use the stock shocks you will have to get them resprung and re-valved. If you are REALLY trying to win races where there is real competiton, you will have $12,500 total in your 450R and it will have no motor mods.
----------------------------------------------------------

"with the e-start if your too much of a wimp to kick a bar them you need to quit ridin and never talk about racing 4wheelers ever again,get a 4x4 or something"

Odd how this kick starter / E-start debate always ends with some 450R supporter questioning the other guys manhood. Internet muscles. Trust me, if we were all sitting around having a beer, I'm the last guy you would call wimp. And if by chance you did, you'd do it just once. [If by chance you are like a 14 year old,I'll cut you some slack. You don't know any better]

300extreme#8
01-31-2004, 08:57 PM
dude i could really careless how big or tough you are,i was just sayin my opinoin and you can just go off into the woods and play with yourself i don't care,and we can sit here and talk crap to each other 4ever and but nothin is goin to happen what r you goin to do, buy a 500 dollar ticket to come all the way to tn find me which will take 4ever and try to talk crap and whoop me,o man i'm really scared.you try to be alil biatch and talk your stuff but the only reason you can is b/c we're 1,000 of miles from each other and dude you don't even know me so u need to back up off me 4real,just cut out the b-s

trx440
01-31-2004, 10:03 PM
If you don't have anything constuctive to say then don't reply.~ JOEX

roostin_dale
01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
well i dont really care weather i kick start or electric start but this is a quote from Tim Farr...

"Real racers kick start their bikes"

just thought some of you would get a KICK out of that..lol

4punksdad
02-01-2004, 06:16 AM
I am all about electric start.................BUT, when its a honda, you know it wont be a big deal to kick it, because it will fire. Thats why I didn't hesitate on the kick start issue. I had 100% confidence that Honda would release a high quality product. They always do.

400grl
02-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Well poo guys........I got a ride on a pretty much stock YFZ450 today.....on the track....and on the second lap I was already clearing all the jumps I was making on my Banshee........(this is a big deal for me - unless I'm comfortable, I don't try stuff too quick!)

It felt great - seemed really short on my first lap, but by lap #3 I didn't notice it anymore.....was fun!!! I don't know if it was just because I was back on a 4-stroke or if it was because it handled so much better than my stock SHEE!!!

I didn't feel is was as fast as my Banshee, though.....but I think that's just because I'm used to the HIT of a powerband.....the power is smooth on the YFZ.

So......I had a big old smile on my face after that ride!!! All this time on the Banshee has been really good for me.......when I get back on a 4-stroke...it's ON like Donkey Kong! :) ;) :D

Now I just have to find someone who will let me ride their R for a lap or two.....then no more kicking myself trying to make up my mind!! I will know after I can compare them both!!

Scottie Mac
02-01-2004, 06:35 PM
400grl,

Did the YFZ you were riding have an exhaust and cam mod? If not, try to find yourself one like that, it makes a HUGE difference in the way the quad runs as far as bottom end power and "hit"

We have one that just has a wider rear axle, 18s and wider offset front rims and that thing handles like a dream. With the pipe and cam mod and a set of bars (a MANDATORY ADDITION) it is as close to the perfect low budget racer you can get IMO.

I am sure if you were to find a TRX with about the saem mods it should be a nice option as well. Good luck with your decision.

Scottie