PDA

View Full Version : starter clutch problems

rrider250
01-29-2004, 01:36 PM
my starter clutch decided to change directions on me. the starter will spin but the moter will not turn over. so i toke it apart and the thing would grab counter clock wise but not clock wise. do i need a new one or what. or can i turn it around backwards and use it like that.

rrider250
01-29-2004, 08:14 PM
come on fellers

K_Fulk
01-30-2004, 12:25 AM
I think the honda dealers computers has them mixed up when you get new brushes. You need to get the part to spin it the other way.

'03'300ex'er
01-30-2004, 07:40 AM
On my 300 suzuki i had it apart to put brushes in and put the case on the wrong way and it was spinning backwards. It reverses the polarity when you put it on the other way. It worked fine. Dont know about yours but it worked for me.

rrider250
01-30-2004, 08:47 AM
i think yall have the wrong idea. its not the starter its the starter clutch that is bolted to the back of the fly wheel that is messed up.

'03'300ex'er
01-30-2004, 09:36 AM
YA THATS WHAT I THOUGHT WAS WRONG WITH MINE TO I EVEN TOOK THAT WHOLE SIDE OF MY MOTOR APART.
THIS MAY NOT BE YOUR CASE BUT IF YOU'VE HAD YOUR STARTER APART IT COULD BE IT, IF YOU AINT HAD IT APART YOU MAY HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM
JUST THOUGHT IT MIGHT SAVE YOU SOME TIME

rrider250
01-30-2004, 12:47 PM
ya that is what i thought to but i just rebuilt the starter and it wouldnt kick in so we pulled started it for two rides. the my starter stopped working again so i took it apart and you could tell that it was turning all the time buy the deep groves in the aumature. so i took the stator cover off and the gear was grabing backwards. so i know that it is the starter clutch. quess ill just buy a new one. thanks for the advice any way

'03'300ex'er
01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
HAS YOUR STARTER STARTED YOUR BIKE SINCE YOU REBUILT THE STARTER?

rrider250
01-30-2004, 09:31 PM
no the starter would turn but it would not turn the moter

K_Fulk
01-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by rrider250
no the starter would turn but it would not turn the moter

Beacuse its spinning the wrong way. Trust me i had this problem last summer. Just need the part to get it to spin the other way.

'03'300ex'er
01-30-2004, 09:50 PM
i sure would try taking your starter apart and turning the center part of your starter body around and put it back togather and try it. it wouldnt take you very long and may save you alot.
if you accidentaly turned that center piece around when you put it back togather it will make your starter spin the wrong direction.
if i was you id give it a try.
if you was worried about hurting anything you could hook up your hot wire and ground it on frame or something and watch it spin to see which way it was turning.

2004TRX450R
01-31-2004, 12:44 AM
The starter clutch CAN NOT REVERSE. It can not decide to go backward. I have never heard of the center sectin of the starter makeing it go the other way but I gess there is a lot I havne't heard of. Sounds kinda wierd to me though. I don't see where you even said you had it apart. Did you have something apart and it did it after that or did it just start doing it? Look on the surface the clutch rides on and see if it is pitted at all or if the little hour glass shaped pieces on the clutch are pitted at all.

'03'300ex'er
01-31-2004, 08:06 AM
he said he had rebuilt it
i know this sounds crazy, but it can be done cause this same thing happend to me if you put the case on upside down when you put it back togather it will make it spin the other way

billbanshee
01-31-2004, 12:45 PM
how hard is it to install a starter clutch anyway mine is going out on my 99 400 ex

rrider250
01-31-2004, 02:02 PM
my clymer manuals says that the starter cluch should free wheel counter clock wise and lock up clock wise. my starter cluth locks upcounter clock wise and free wheels clock wise. i look my starter apart to see if some thing was wrong with it after i had pulled started it to get to ride. after i got it apart it had a deep grove in the amature where it had been spinning the whole time i was riding it.

01-31-2004, 02:14 PM
im the pro!!!! just did this to my 93ex. starter clutch cost 200 from honda. 2 hours of work, not hard at all. side cover needs to come off. the foot pedals on the side, shifter and reverse. need a new gasket, the clutch just wears out, my starter would spin but the motor wouldnt becase the clutch was slipping, e mail me a quiktime59@aol.com if you need help

simoniz
02-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm having the same problem where my starter is turning freely. But the starter clutch is not engaging. Also I have no spark. I understand there is a conductor or a contact in the side case that if metal is drawn to it it will cause the motor not to fire. This conductor or contact is magnetic like the flywheel. Anybody no anything about this?? Behind the flywheel there is a gear. What is that called??, maybe a starter bendix?? Then is there a starter chain or roller chain behind that. Whatever it is behind the gear behind the flywheel is broke. looks like some kind of chain to me. I don't know the terms for these items. Just trying to learn.

thanks

marcus20202
10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
i am having the smae problem with my 300ex. the starter would spin and catch a lil thin grind and not catch at all. i thought it was cause my battery was low but i had it hooked to my car battery and still just spun. so i bagan to think it was the starter so i looked aroung and rockymountianatvmc.com had a new arrowhead starter for $49 in the scratched and dented section saving me $120 i hooked it up today and it still has the same problem, but the starter spinns alot faster and smother. anyway now i think its something internal. i took the starter gear plate off and held the gear on with my finger and tapped the starter and everything was spinning but no fire. i dont know what the porblem could be. it starts right up when i push start it but that cant be good for the main clutch all the time. im new to all this and usualy do good when i do things myself but idk if im ready to crack the casing off and mess with the clutch's and what not. im going to call the cycle shop to see what the might be ably to tell me but im hoping someone with experience on quads can help me out here.