PDA

View Full Version : Lazer Star vs. Trial Tech lights

HondaMan222
01-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I am geating a new 400ex and it has the race plastic, so there are no lights and i was wondering whitch is a better light? our friends have trial tech and always the blubs burn out, has anyone had that troble? what about lazer star, does there's bolbs burn out constently?? or are they any more cool looking lights out on the market?

thanks

ridesa02400EX
01-29-2004, 06:48 PM
go ducks!? you live in corvallis and say go ducks! go beavs!

416rider
01-29-2004, 07:10 PM
:devil:I have trail tech and I had never burnt any bulbs out yet. :devil:

JOEX
01-29-2004, 10:26 PM
I have Lazerstar lights that I bought used. Haven't replaced any bulbs but a wire inside of one light came off. It was a fairly easy fix.

Both of these setups for the 400ex have a major fault though, IMO. They stand up too high, above the cross bar on Renthal bars anyway. The first time you tip over the lights will snap off. It happened to me. The lights themselves are fine but the mounting bolts are not and they cost around $18 each to replace.

I have an idea in my head that I hope to put in use for an alternative set up. It'll be awhile though.

I had someone make me some brackets for now.

Joe

HondaMan222
01-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ridesa02400EX
go ducks!? you live in corvallis and say go ducks! go beavs!

lol my parents are bevs, i am a duck fan!
who beat who.....lol

hey Jo- want to sell those lights:D

thanks

JOEX
01-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan222

hey Jo- want to sell those lights:D

thanks
Nope:o :p But I do recommend some type of aftermarket lights if you ride at night;)

BTW, i'm a beaver fan........

But I don't watch many sports:blah:

brandonpeake
01-30-2004, 09:21 AM
does c&d carry the laser star lights?
if not where else can u pick some up, ebay prob?

HondaMan222
01-30-2004, 09:49 AM
jo-lol are you from corvallis??

brandon- i was looking in the white bros catalog, there $255, kinda spendy!!

brandonpeake
01-30-2004, 10:12 AM
ouch . yeah those should be good

HondaMan222
01-30-2004, 10:27 AM
anyone have these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2457414878&category=43976

ridesa02400EX
01-30-2004, 07:55 PM
i was a beaver fan when i lived in oregon still am but dont get to see to many beaver games in CA

JOEX
01-30-2004, 10:04 PM
anyone have these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2457414878&category=43976
I don't know anything about them, says they are 50 watts, if that is for the pair they will work burt if they are 50w each you will run the risk of frying the stator.

Then there is the mounting issue, wherever you mount them I bet there will be some sort of fabrication involved.

I'm in Oregon City;)

Joe

HondaMan222
01-30-2004, 10:28 PM
true....

thanks
do you know any where else to get lazer star's cheaper??

thanks

Bad Habit
01-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Here's a pic of some Trail Techs, $39.99 each from RMATV and I haven't burnt a bulb yet. Pretty easy to mount them where I did and they are very protected in the event of a "pucker" moment.

ps. Ignore the amazingly handsome dude on the bike. :blah:

JOEX
01-30-2004, 10:58 PM
I have no idea on what the pricing is on these now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Trail Tech and Lazerstar are the same light. Just because one is priced higher doesn't neccessarly make it better. I really wish I knew if there was any difference.

I don't think i'd buy either one now that I know how they are mounted on the 400ex (see my earlier post). Too high.

Joe

HondaMan222
01-30-2004, 10:59 PM
well, i am more heading toward the lazer star, cuse our friend just had bad luck, they burt out with'en 10 minites of a ride, so he sent them back and trail tech sent him new ones ans they burnt out really fast and now trail tech sent him the new lights that arn't even out yet, and they burnt out fast.

badhabit- i see you have denton a-arms, are those +2 or std. cuse if they are std. i will trade you for a set of ASR +2's....

thanks

HondaMan222
01-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I have no idea on what the pricing is on these now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Trail Tech and Lazerstar are the same light. Just because one is priced higher doesn't neccessarly make it better. I really wish I knew if there was any difference.

I don't think i'd buy either one now that I know how they are mounted on the 400ex (see my earlier post). Too high.

Joe

well what lights do you think i should get??

Bad Habit
01-30-2004, 11:08 PM
well, i am more heading toward the lazer star, cuse our friend just had bad luck, they burt out with'en 10 minites of a ride, so he sent them back and trail tech sent him new ones ans they burnt out really fast and now trail tech sent him the new lights that arn't even out yet, and they burnt out fast.

badhabit- i see you have denton a-arms, are those +2 or std. cuse if they are std. i will trade you for a set of ASR +2's....

thanks

Sounds like your buddy might have some electrical problems with his bike. Burnt out three sets of lights? He might want to check his voltage regulator.

Those Denton arms are +2's. I have a set of stock arms setting here though...............

JOEX
01-30-2004, 11:16 PM
well what lights do you think i should get??
Custom?:p

Those ones on ebay might be goo if you can mount them where you want. What I like about the Trail tech and Lazerstar is they mount to the stem so they move with the bars.

I going to try to make a bracket that mounts to the shaft of the stem instead of using the bar clamp mothod. Or try to make it work like wyndzer's C-Dale....
I think both will require removal of the stock lights......

HondaMan222
01-30-2004, 11:18 PM
pmed you, well they are on a craptor:blah: i don't know if his 690 kit would do that or not, cuse i don't think when he had it stock they did that

EXRUFFRIDER
02-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Does the trail tech work with crossbar handlebars like tag x5??

EXRUFFRIDER
02-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Can you use the trailtechs and your stock lights at the same time?

JOEX
02-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by EXRUFFRIDER
Can you use the trailtechs and your stock lights at the same time?
What I understand if you have both sets of lights on at the same time it pulls too buch power for the stator which will potentially burn up the stator.

I wired my lazerstar lights into the stock switch wiring. Low beam runs the stock lights and high beam runs the Lazerstar lights.

Joe

HondaMan222
02-09-2004, 10:45 PM
i went and bought 2 35 watts haligen lights, like trail tech looken ones from the LED people, will they work??

JOEX
02-09-2004, 11:56 PM
i went and bought 2 35 watts haligen lights, like trail tech looken ones from the LED people, will they work??
They should as long as you don't run them at the same time as the stock lights.

Joe

HondaMan222
02-10-2004, 09:31 AM
see i don't have to worry about that, beacuse i don't have a headlight, i have the race plastic:D
so the 35 watts are fine?

thanks

jgray
02-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Bad habit: Your lights look great where they are. One done fall for putting them done there though is they don't turn with your bars. Not that its the end of the world. But they do look good done there.

I ride a 300ex. I have removed my stock square light and purchased a pair of drinving lights from wal-mart ($20) I made a plate that my key and switches are at. I purchased a KX kill switch for my start button on my bars. I mounted my plate off of the existing mount for the stock light. I have to admit, looks pretty good. I will have to get a pic and show you guys. I know the 300 light is nothing like the 400 lights. But wanted to share my mod with you all.
Question?? Could you purches the Trail Tech lights and flip them to the unser side of the mounting plate? I have never seen them in person so I don't know, just a thought.

Good luck with the lights.. I am sure the 35w light kit will work..